The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
nucklhead13

Talking Nixon Era

I guess it may seem strange that an old man like me can remember how gas got hard to get when he was in high school. I'll never forget the gut-less pickup I was forced to have with a six cylinder engine. It was even worse driving in town at fifty five.

Back then diesel was real cheap, and several old pickup owners changed the engines to diesel burners. Once I helped a friend of mine haul hay, and his father managed a desiel engine repair shop. When I got in that Dodge it was strange. The engine filled a bunce of the cab just like old tracter trailer motors did. I even got behind another truck on the way out of Albuquerque. That rig had a poir of exaust pipes rising straight up behind the cab like some diesel truck.

I just remembered that diesel used to be about 35 cents a gallon, and with its price so high now the gas companies are really ripping us off.

In my five years hauling fuel out of Albuquerque, ten years ago way back when there were several seperate companies competing for customers with low prices I'd been to several refineries. I sure know diesel isn't re-fined as intensely as regular gas. It's just a cleaned version of oil.

Now I've heard of a new kind of diesel that could really help us all. It's made with soy and can be burned in any of the present diesel engines. I got to admit that I'll never be waisting my money on a new car that runs on reqular gas. I just hope we can start buying the new kind of diesel. Then I can be just like a lot of folk way back in the seventies, and change my 78 Scottsdale into one with a diesel motor.

Chat sights like this might help us all when the existance of a new fuell becomes widely known.
nucklhead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
jermasaurus

Is that new kind of diesel you are taliking about refered to as "Bio-Diesel?"

What I don't get is that diesel used to be cheaper than gasoline, now gas is the cheaper one!?!? It must be because they just raise the prices when they feel like it. About two weeks ago I was paying $1.67 for 87 octane, now that spring break is here with all the traveling, gas just happens to rise up to $2.15 a gallon? Theres no reason for it- cars are made getting more mileage than ever, and gas is more expensive than ever.

Don't mean to change the subject of your post, but now that I already typed it I can't let all my hard work go to waist.
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
andrew king

Bio diesel is good but right now its still more expensive than regular diesel. I have used a version of it called SOy Gold in a 85 f#rd with a 6.9 and it ran great I was told to run a 70 % bio to 30% regualr diesl mix because bio diesel didnt have quite the lubricity of reg diesl but the advantage was noticable almost immediately after 2 tanks worth all the soot you get with reg diesel was gone the exhaust was clean and the trucks exhaust smelled a bit liek french fries. Willie nelson is in the bio diesel business and is trying to really commercialize it as a alternative to regular diesel, I think it has a great future.
andrew king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
Brad_Olson

The University of Wisconsin's starting to do some serious biodiesel research and I'm sure there are other universities as well...although I'm betting none of them are in Texas. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before it's a viable option.

A Phillips 66 station in Rockford IL was selling a fuel called "E-85"; it's 85% ethanol and while I'm not 100% sure I think the other 15% is gasoline. Wasn't a very popular seller, though, and when I saw the story a few months back the station was thinking of discontinuing it.

Brad
Brad_Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_Olson
The University of Wisconsin's starting to do some serious biodiesel research and I'm sure there are other universities as well...although I'm betting none of them are in Texas. ...
Brad
The University of Idaho has been doing BioDiesel research since 1975 or so. They've logged countless hours running small diesel engines, tractors, cars, pickups and even semis (1 million miles in one of them...) This isn't really new stuff, but with the crazy prices they are charging for petro diesel right now, BioDiesel might start to be viable in some ares. It's not going to solve our fuel problems, but I think it will be part of an overall energy revolution that will have to take place some time soon.

They have a crappy website, but it has real information:
http://www.uidaho.edu/bae/biodiesel/
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
marvxyz

With the shortage of refineries, you can bet the oil companies like that. They sure aren't going to break a sweat in trying to build new ones. They're making too much money to want to make any changes now.
marvxyz is offline   Reply With Quote