The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
Hook'em

VIN locations?

I have discovered that the VIN numbers on the door panel and glove box do not match the VIN numbers on the title and insurance. Furthermore, the official VIN number cannot be accurate because it has a number where a letter should be. I got the truck from my Dad and he is now passed so I can't get any more info. I believe the cab was changed out due to rust and that would jive with the VIN on the cab because it is for a stepside and the truck is a fleet. The numbers are fairly close so I believe the issue is one of reading someones writing (probably my fathers), but I am concerned about how much grief I am going to get from the DMV. I would like to see if I can locate another VIN outside of the cab to determine if it is the same or different (my luck I will find yet a third number). Any information is appreciated.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
bigcdawg99

You should have a VIN on the driverside of the frame (on the top side) by the engine. If its anything like mine it will be covered in gunk and hard to find. Sorry I don't have a pic for you ,I'm at work. Good luck! The best way to find it would be to do a frame off, clean the frame, then powercoat it. You always gotta look for excuses to do a frame off!

"I like guns. You got a gun, you don't have to work out."

Chris Rock
bigcdawg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Rod

The frame vin number should more than likely start with the year part of the vin and the rest should be the same sequence number of the vin off the cab or glove box.

Say you have a CE142A112345 for a vin on the glove box sticker and cab vin plate...

Frame would have 2A112345
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote