The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
abandonedpimp

Question Lets hear your input.

Alright guys, I have an 86 chevy c10, just bought a new 350 block +.030, I'm running a new stock crank with stock connecting rods. I have purchased a set of 305 heads, 1.84/1.50, 53cc I plan on running an edlebrock performer intake I have a holley 600 carb. It will be hooked up to a 3 speed manual with granny low. I'm gonna drop it 2 in the front 4 in the rear no emisions no air pump no a/c, just a basic truck. I'm wondering What would be the best cam for this application, and also should I replace the rearend in it, it has a 10 bolt in it now limited slip for as far as I know. I am going to buy a master rebuild kit and this is why I asked this question. All your answers will be greatly appreciated
Thank you Ron
abandonedpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

It is my understanding that most of these trucks do not have limited slip differentials. Yours might, but I would not assume so unless you have reason to believe that it is. I would put off the decision to change it based on what happens when you get the engine in. Then you will know if you need different gears, posi, etc.

A board member offered me a 12 bolt a while back to replace my 10 bolt. I checked with a very knowledgeable friend who says the 10 and 12 bolts are similar in strength. He suggested I stay with the 10 bolt because parts are cheaper and easier to come by.

Slonaker
Old 06-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
abandonedpimp

cool

hey thanks for your input, I will keep that in mind I am able to pick up a 12 bolt posi for 150 bucks. is it worth it. Also who ever reads this still looking for the best other than stock cam to produce the most power
abandonedpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
86 GMG

rv cams are a good cam that dont robe all your vacuum, dont slobber al over the truck and you dont have to change any motor componets, i have a 350 +.40 over and 305 heads also the cam i used was from a friend of mine no papers but the darn thing dont really kick in per say until about 2200 rpms and it really slobbers al over it self me personally i like the hell out of the lope but some dont