The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
IVORYANGELSCOM

1985 suburban 3/4 ton w/Barn doors

I recently purchased my suburban at a police auction in Athens, Tennessee. It was a rescue vehicle. The engine only has 61,000 on it. They put brand new tires on it. It really shocked me. The body needs a little work, but the motor starts and runs like a new one. When I first got it, I was checking it out, and it has a vibration to it, I haven't figured out just yet. I checked the drive line, and the back u-joint was dust, the rest were tight. So, iIchanged the one, but still have some vibration. I am dis-abled, and have been since 1989, so I kinda have to wait till the 3rd of the month. But, my next step in figuring it out is getting the tires balanced. Hopefully, that will stop me from feeling like I'm at a cheap hotel with a 25 cent vibrating bed...lol

Well It wasn't the tires, got those balanced and still there. I'm starting to believe it may be in one section of the driveshaft, as it gets worse at higher speeds. Whci to me seems like it gets worse as the revolutions go up? I guess that's kind of a question???

They stripped the air ducts out of it, I guess the city didn't want to keep the driver cool. The head liner is still in it, but it has been stripped. Best guess they had some re-usable rescue lights and stuff they could re-use. So, I now have to have it re-done. The front grill has cut outs in it where they had emergency flashing lights. The dash is trash as well. So...I'm in need of some parts, but for what I gave at the auction on a rainey day... I got a good deal.

I am in Madisonville, Tennessee
I would like to find someone local with one to sell to me for parts. If no whole, I am in need of a front grill, would like to find a used pushbar/winchplate combo to take the place of the one they took off. And, a good dash, or who I can get in touch with about a relacement dash. And, someone local that wont take both my arms to help with body work...lol.
The paint is ugly. It's white with a green stripe down the sides with RESCUE WROTE IN IT.

It's a new project, and even though I'm 44.... I have never really done a restoration project of my own. I have helped others here and there. And...in my teens I use to paint/re-finish furniture, and had a job painting Datsun 240 260 and 280 z's for a couple years.

I'll be checking in here often.

Thanks
Butch

Last edited by mhc; 06-06-2005 at 04:15 PM. Reason: links to improper content
IVORYANGELSCOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

lmctruck.com is always a good mailorder company with decent parts.. otherwise i would do an online search for salvage yards in your area.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
IVORYANGELSCOM

Thank you
Old 06-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
newin72
Account Suspended

check the rear carrier bearing for your vibration.

I just found a 85 that has all new interior. I am thinking of buying it for the interior to put in mine, I will probably sell the rest when done if you are interested. can probably get it for under 1000.
newin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

There are alot of parts to be had right here.For new parts check your local dealer.There is another company besides LMC.It`s www.cheyennetruckparts.com,I think.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
IVORYANGELSCOM

Thanks for the info. Newin contact me at promotions@jackpot.com if you have pics or are anywhere near Tennessee