The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
tomatocity

Where is the VIN located on the body?

Where is the VIN located on the body / frame? Now I know the VIN is correct I need to know where the VIN is located on the truck. I don't want to show up in California and have the DMV find a different VIN on the vehicle than is on the title. Thanks in advance.

Tim
1970 GMChevrolet
Old 06-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
Sweet72

VIN tag is located on the drivers door jamb and is also stamped on the drivers side frame rail visible under the hood just behind the steering gear. Another place to look is on the passengers frame rail visible below the passengers rocker panel.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72
VIN tag is located on the drivers door jamb and is also stamped on the drivers side frame rail visible under the hood just behind the steering gear. Another place to look is on the passengers frame rail visible below the passengers rocker panel.
Thank you.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:58 AM   #4
69oldie
Never too many LONGHORNS!

Not to cause any contraversy....BUT....both vin.#'s are stamped on the same side..the DRIVERS side frame rail in the locations previously given and NOT on the pasanger side frame rail.....but you never know with GM products what they may do!! The one under the cab (driverside frame rail) is a pain in the a$$ to see...especially if there is any surface rust on it. You may need a mirror.
Hope this helps.
Jim "69oldie"
Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Sweet72

My 'ol GMC has it stamped on the pass frame rail, inboard of the rocker panel, so I don't know if the Chevy's were different or not. Oh, and another location if you have a V8 would be on the engine block, there should be a partial VIN stamped just forward of the passengers side cylinder head on the small horizontal pad.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote