The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
knsmodels
I make Models

Ride height question....

I have a 72 LWB K10 with the stock springs.....on level ground with no load the back of the truck looks low....I think that is the way they are from the factory....anyway...I dont care for this look as it always looks like there is weight in the back.....What is the best way to raise the back up about an inch.....Have my springs re-arched, new springs with a new arch, or lift blocks?? I am leaning towards the new springs but wanted some opinions...the stock springs on the truck are not that old....Thanks....Paul

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
uncle_handsome
Uncle H. is this cartoon

Yes. If you buy some add-a-leafs you can raise the rear anywhere from 1-1.5", maybe even 2". They are very cheap. You might be able to buy a pair for under $50 U.S.

These add-a-leafs also usually increase rear spring stiffness, though you can by "zero-rate" springs which give you lift and not much else.

Last edited by uncle_handsome; 07-06-2005 at 05:58 PM.
uncle_handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

I had the same problem with my 72 GMC. I did two things that changed the stance.

1. New cab mounts. The rubber cab mounts were shot which gave the truck a sway backed look.

2. Added "Add a Leafs" to the rear which gave the truck a slight forward rake. Cheap and easy to install.
Neighborhood Nuisance

98 BMW 540i for Speed (Sold )
05 Subaru Outback for mileage
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

My 72 K10 also "looks" low in the back. But I have done some checks with a tape and a level and it is an optical illusion. With a level on top of the bedside my truck is actually slightly high in the rear. But if I measure from the ground to the top of the fender lip the front measures higher from the ground. It seems that the fender openings are taller on the front than they are the back. I assume that this allows room for the tires to move side to side while moving up and down. If you are still certain that it is sitting low in the rear after measureing there are several ways to go about leveling it up. I guess it all boils down to what you want to spend.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:40 PM   #5
ryan68
Certified Chevy Man

Front fender openings are taller than the rear. My Suburban looks like the back is lower but it's level.
ryan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:35 AM   #6
knsmodels
I make Models

Thanks for the replys...."see ten"....you are correct on the optical illusion...mine measures the same as you said...but I still am not happy with the stance optical or not....I figure if I am not happy with an inch in the back I can always reverse whatever I do.....leaning towards a leaf if it does not harm the ride to much....thanks again....Paul

PS I will keep ya's posted on the results and I will add some pics of before and after..

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote