The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #1
R@nger
Psalm 23

A little trouble

Well I've been driving my truck around a little bit lately and I just filled the tank up with gas for the first time since I've had it. The problem is the truck was running great but last night I took a couple friends down to 711 to get some slurpees and right as I was turning back onto my street the truck sounds like it was dying. It acted like it wasn't getting any fuel, it was to late to work on it(1 in the morning) so I left it for today. Now today I started it and it was doing the same thing...acting like it wasn't getting enough gas. When I give it a quick bunch of throttle it acts like its gonna die but doesn't. I didn't have time to work on it today so I wanted to see what you guys think it could be thats making it run this way. I'll probably work on it tomorrow or monday.

In my opinion considering it didn't have a full tank of gas in probably 2-3 years I'm thinking it has some garbage in the tank...not sure though. I plan on checking both the inline fuel filter and the filter in the carb(I just rebuilt the carb so I should be good to go there). I'm also thinking its possible that the little fuel gauge in the gas tank may be crumbling apart and getting garbage all in my tank. I'm also gonna check the timing just to be sure the timing didn't get out of whack.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:02 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Sounds like you're on the right track to me.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #3
cdowns

theres a strainer on the fuel pickup tube in the gastank you might check also
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
dwaite72lnghrn

If it has been sitting that long with a near empty tank moisture developed and probably rust. Make sure you don't have water in the line. When you check the filter in the carb run the fuel line into a coffee can and crank it several times, Then look in the can for rust and water.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Hmmmm, what flavor were the slurpees? (sorry) The only things I can recommend are to change the filter, check that little screen in the carburetor where the fuel line goes in and add some "Dry gas" to the fuel (you can get it at any parts store). Also make sure that the fuel line isn't collapsed where it goes into the fuel pump (suction side).
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
R@nger
Psalm 23

Randy to answer your question we got about every different flavor they had hehe.

Now as an update I was look working on the truck and heres what i discovered. I checked both fuel filters carb and inline and neither look bad at all. The carb fuel filter is brand new and it looks like it. I cranked the truck while i had the fuel line disconnected from the carb and pumped some gas into a cup. As suspected there was little flakes of rust and dirt in the cup. I have a feeling that there is some of that junk in my carb..possibly the idle jets because when I give it some gas it runs strong but when I let it idle it chuffs and struggles. I checked the timing and its right where it should be. Is there anything I can do to get the junk out of my tank?

Randy what purpose does that "dry gas" serve?

Thanks

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
Old 07-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Dry-gas is a fuel addative that removes condensation from the tank and fuel lines.
Did you try mixing all of the flavors together?

Last edited by Randy70C-10; 07-10-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:37 PM   #8
R@nger
Psalm 23

You know I did !

I like to think of myself as a slurpee connoisseur .

Back on topic now hahaha am I gonna have to take out my gas tank to clean it out?...if so how do I go about doing this.

Thanks again for all the help.

EDIT:

Oh and I was just thinking if I have to take out the tank how much work and $$$ would it be to install one under the bed as opposed to putting the tank back behind the seat? Its just a thought...not saying I'm gonna go this way.

Ok and right after posting that I noticed the blazer tank swap RIGHT above my post..sorry hehe. However I would like to hear more about it.

Last edited by R@nger; 07-11-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:00 AM   #9
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

There was a guy a while back that just asked if anyone had a good tank and he was given one...
Old 07-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #10
R@nger
Psalm 23

....*thinks quietly to himself* I wonder if any one has a good tank *Ends his thinking quietly to himself*

That would be cool but I'd like to see how bad my tank is first...who knows it may be alright. I take it I am gonna have to take it out to clean it.

The stupid thing is I JUST got it to where I could drive it all around, I was on a major role with fixing things and then this...ugh , oh well I just got to keep on keepin on.

Last edited by R@nger; 07-11-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #11
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I had originally planned on cleaning and coating my tanks. Had to have my saddle tank cut open and professionaly done since it is baffled. I ended up just pitching my cab tank because the filler neck was all beat up. :sigh: I have 2 complete tank sealer kits from por-15 sitting on the shelf now.

My idea for cleaning the in cab tank was to build a tumbler out of scrap wood. drop in a small length of chain, add some solvent, seal it up with the top of an old sender and give it a spin. Then folow the directions for the tank sealer. Hope this helps.
Rich
Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
R@nger
Psalm 23

Thank you...you wouldn't be interested in selling one of your tank selling kits would ya?

Also if someone wouldn't mind giving me a quick walkthrough on how to take the tank out. I guess I'll need to take the seat out but I'm not really sure how the tank it attached or how to get the neck of the tank back through the cab....is this hard?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #13
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@nger
Also if someone wouldn't mind giving me a quick walkthrough on how to take the tank out. I guess I'll need to take the seat out but I'm not really sure how the tank it attached or how to get the neck of the tank back through the cab....is this hard? .
Once you take the seat out you'll see how it's attached, you may have to un-bolt the seat belts too, I pulled a tank Sunday and they were in the way. After you get all of the retainer bolts off the tank, have someone lift up the passenger side of the tank while you press down on the filler tube (with the cap removed), it should slide right out. Oh, you'll have to disconnect the fuel line too.

Last edited by Randy70C-10; 07-12-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:10 PM   #14
moneyguru

Id take the tank out and have a radiator repair shop clean it, if it can be cleaned they'll get it clean.

Of course check their rates first!

HTH
Chris
Old 07-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyguru
Id take the tank out and have a radiator repair shop clean it, if it can be cleaned they'll get it clean.
Chris
That's exactly what I was going to recommend, I've had a couple done. They'll flush it and seal it
Old 07-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #16
R@nger
Psalm 23

Hmm..interesting idea, I didn't even know such a job existed hehe.

I'll check into that.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:50 AM   #17
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

A radiator shop can clean it and probably coat it to. A rad. shop did my saddle tank. Shop around. With the whole environmental thing prices vary wildly. Cheapest shop here was in downtown Sacramento! If you were close I'd sell ya a set up. Freight screws it up to where it would be a lose lose for both of us. Bought mine from the por-15 website.

*wonders quitely to himself* Wonder why no one has volunteered a tank

Maybe you can put in a freebie request on the parts board?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #18
R@nger
Psalm 23

Well I called two shops today and 1 shop wanted 150 to clean and coat and the other job wanted 125. Does that price seem right?

I was really hoping not to spend that much but if its got to be done then I guess theres not much I can do about it.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:04 PM   #19
kaycee

$200. FOR A UNDER BED TANK KIT from TRUCK SHOP + a few odds and ends about another $15. but then you gotta figure out where to put the filler spout.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:31 AM   #20
R@nger
Psalm 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycee
$200. FOR A UNDER BED TANK KIT from TRUCK SHOP + a few odds and ends about another $15. but then you gotta figure out where to put the filler spout.
No kiddin?

That might be the way to go. How hard is it to install all the stuff..spout included?

I'd also like to here how and where you put the spout.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #21
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

It does seem to be a waste to spend all that money to put a tank back in the cab. Read the gas tank threads in the FAQ's. Krue made up a nice index so it will be easy to find.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #22
R@nger
Psalm 23

I'll do that thanks.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #23
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok today I've been working on the truck and I started out by taking off the gas cap and shining a flashlight inside the tank. I noticed that from what I could see it was pretty darn clean. I also took off the fuel line and cranked the truck. The gas that had poured into the cup i placed underneath the line had little small specks of junk but no flakes of rust like last time. My question is should I continue with the tank removal or should I just change the inline fuel filter and be done with it?

Oh and did I mention I took the carb off, took it apart, cranked up my air compressor and shot air through all the ports and holes .

My last question is, if I do just replace the inline filter is there anyway to change it without draining the tank? The reason I ask is because the fuel filter is before the inlet to the fuel pump..so I didn't know if there was any other way to stop the flow of gas.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 07-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #24
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Some gas will spill from the fuel line, as long as you don't have a cigarette hangin from your mouth you'll be ok. If you're worried about making a mess, just be quick about installing to new filter. I recommend a plastic see-through filter so you can check it from time to time to see if there's any dirt or rust inside.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:08 PM   #25
R@nger
Psalm 23

Yeah I see whats up now...for whatever reason I thought the fuel line for the gas tank was at the bottom corner :: . I took the seat out cause I was curious and saw that the fuel lines go to the top middle of the tank, things make since now .

I'm thinking while I have the seat out I might as well take the tank out, drain it and strain any of the garbage out of it then have a look inside to see if I should have it cleaned...if it needs to be cleaned I'm just going to do the rear gas tank.