The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Determining the worth of my Burb

As many of you know, Im in the process of a divorce, and most of our shared tools went with my husband when he moved out. I have no time now working full time plus at work. No money to buy more tools nor to have some one do the work for me. It seems the humane thing for me to do, to sell or trade her to some one who can continue her resto.
I know pics are key, and Ill have to have my sis bring her digital over and help me get some detailed pics. Can yall make a list of things I could tell yall to help me determine what shes worth to some one else? Any help is appreciated. This is one of the hardest decisions Ive ever had to make, and Id like to get it over with.
Thanks so much!!
junk
Attached Images

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4

Last edited by GMCjunkie; 07-11-2005 at 08:11 AM.
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Mudder

What would u like to get out of it Jodie? That's what u have to ask yourself first. Remember good selling points is its driven every day and could go cross country this afternoon if needed. I know what u are doing is very hard. In the end down the road it can always be replaced when things get back to normal.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
meathead95
computer illiterate

got anymore recent pics?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

To help price it you need a full mechanical description, a detailed description of the condition of body and some pics to gauge overall presentation.

I gather that it is functional daily transportation ( big + )

I lost most of my tools in my divorce also -- not only everything "shared" but a fair amount of things I owned before the marraige. (Not to mention the house with attendant driveway and 2 car garage!)

You might consider trying to hang in there.. swap meet (crapola) tools might get you through the lean times and a Burb as pretty as that one looks in the pic you have there might be hard ($$) to reproduce later.

On an aside -- the one thing they can't take in a divorce is your self respect (though they *will* try!) .... hang in there.

Last edited by panhandler62; 07-11-2005 at 09:20 AM.
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Brewski*

Wink

Hey Junkie,
Sorry to hear about your big D~! I know how it goes. Been there done that, kinda in the process again as I am going back and forth in a 7 yr. relationship. Just a thought about your burb:
I saw a somewhat restored 72 2wd burb go on ebay BUY IT NOW for 12-14k. It was 90% restored. Looked very good and was a daily driver. That was a couple of weeks after I bought my 68 GMC 1/2 ton burb for 2500.00. I would seriously consider keeping it as you know you will never get out of it what you have in it especially your time and your love for the vehicle. Nor can you replace it as it is a very rare bird and will always go up in value. I know it is tough going and I feel for you and will say a prayer or 2 for you~! Pic inside and out, underneath and under hood will help determine overall value. Tools mean very little to me. I only have a handfull now also as my 15 yr old boy tends to loose or misplace mine. Yet I keep my 71 GMC 3/4 ton LWB and my 68 1/2 ton burb and wonder why I keep them or even bought them when I know they sometimes make it difficult to put food on the table and roof over head. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.
Brew
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
kwmech

Try your best to hang onto it, you'll be real sorry after it's gone.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
moneyguru

Junk,

#1 Sorry to hear about both the divorce as well as da old man taking al of your tools.

#2 Don't get rid of it!

#3 If you do get rid of it keep a good receipt of what you sold it for. Depending on how the divorce goes you may need it. Also make a list of everything he took with him, this information may be needed later!

#4 I want it!

Chris
Old 07-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Sorry to hear the news. It's very unfair that you should have to get rid of something you don't want to. Consider this though, assuming you were looking to sell the Burb to take the cash and buy something else, you don't really know what condition a used vehicle is in. I heard a saying some time ago that sometimes the best used vehicle is the one you already own. Meaning at least you know what you got. Not trying to say my opinion is the one to go with, just trying to give you some more food for thought .
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Moneyguru brings up a good point ---

In most states communal property laws apply. You may not *want* the Burb to be worth much (on paper) right now (and selling it for what it's worth makes this hard to brush aside.) You may (or may not -- get a good lawyer!) have to "buy" half of your truck from your Ex, so you don't want that to be a huge figure.. also.. as soon as my case became a matter of public record the court issued an injunction that no major property could be disbursed, sold or destroyed without written consent by both parties.

A 1971 SUV of inderterminate milage may be a pretty small footprint in the blue-book department.
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
dubie

just judging on what you have put into it over the years, the condition it's in and how well taken care of it is, I would put it in the 8-12 thousand mark.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
fine69

Its worth $50. Send me your address and i will mail out payment.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #12
cheyenne10

Burb

Jodie;

Sorry to here about spouse trouble again. I wish you the best. Take care of them kids. Bring it back to the west coast for more $$!! If I remember that pic was in Northern CA. near Weed. Us west coasters would like a chance to own that beauty!! Keep it if you want or can, otherwise find it a caring home. Its a nice one and you should be able to get a fair price for it.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #13
jostrans68
Jostrans68

I have a great Idea the Burb has been like a child to you Make the ex pay support then you can keep it......LOL Kidding Good Luck the big D sucks But with all the support you have here you will land on your feet......
Old 07-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #14
SCOTI

Jodie, before you sell that Burb . . .... I'll donate a set of Craftsman tools to help you out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 shorty
.... Consider this though, assuming you were looking to sell the Burb to take the cash and buy something else, you don't really know what condition a used vehicle is in. I heard a saying some time ago that sometimes the best used vehicle is the one you already own. Meaning at least you know what you got.
I agree 100%. We would understand if it's more a financial thing but I'm sure there's enough board members here that would help donate used/new tools to help your plight.

Food for thought . . .... let me know.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:15 PM   #15
bagged91
Out draggin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Jodie, before you sell that Burb . . .... I'll donate a set of Craftsman tools to help you out!

I agree 100%. We would understand if it's more a financial thing but I'm sure there's enough board members here that would help donate used/new tools to help your plight.

Food for thought . . .... let me know.
Hi Jodie,
Never met you before but heard a lot of good things from other members who have. I agree with SCOTI, I would donate tools and repair advice if you wanted it... You will regret selling it and if it's your only transportation, he can't make you sell it. Again, as said before, at least you know what you have and if you get into a pickle, you have tons of people on here that are willing to help you out to get it fixed. I would keep it and sweat it out.

Just my $.02

L8R - Joe
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
Mudder

I like that Scoti........ I would be in on something like that. I can understand her wanting something newer and a little more economical to drive daily with gas prices like they are.

I'm thinking maybe she should set a real high reserve and Ebay it a couple of times to see if there's interest and what it is.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder67
I like that Scoti........ I would be in on something like that. I can understand her wanting something newer and a little more economical to drive daily with gas prices like they are.

I'm thinking maybe she should set a real high reserve and Ebay it a couple of times to see if there's interest and what it is.
Exactly! If it's a financial thing I'll bet we've all been in a similar spot & would understand the move to something more economical (which is purely subjective). Ebay it @ a high reserve & see what happens. If it doesn't go for the right price . . ..... a small tool collection would bring good karma to all.

Like I said, I'll donate for a very worthy cause.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #18
walker

I am sure I have a few spare tools too, if that is all it would take for you to keep her. If that is the case, why don't you put together a list of what you have/need and perhaps we could sign up for different tools/repairs/parts.
I live a little far to help with repairs but I could certainly mail some wrenches.
Best of luck, Andy.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #19
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I have tools, I'll send a ratchet and enough sockets to do anything on your Burb.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:11 PM   #20
krue
Designated A-hole!

I'll chip in whatever I can Jodie. I'd really hate to see you sell the burb.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #21
dwaite72lnghrn

Jodie you are stuck with the whats it worth and what it will sell for. You have a nice burb that might price it out of the sellable market. Burb's have been priced on the truck board reasonable for what they had but never sold.
I think you are unfortunatly in a position that you need reliable, low expense, transportation and can't let the burb sit till you can get a price to re-coop your expense. Like above if you want to work on it, USPS or UPS can deliver tools from board members to help you do this. Remember lifes a b1tch and then you marry one. Nows the time to Cry hard, The time to laugh load is in the near future. Good luck.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #22
lngbed71
Nothing fits but the oil

Junkie: PM sent

Because of the brave
lngbed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:53 PM   #23
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Jodie, being in a similar situation with the soon to be ex, I'm also willing to help out wherever possible, within reason. I could probably dig up some tools to send your way. There is always a bright side, so keep that in mind. If she hadn't moved out, I never would have gotten my truck.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #24
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if I remember correctly, she is comuting something like 80 miles a day in that sucker. While I have never asked her, I doubt it gets more than 10 MPG...probably more like 7 or 8.
The body is in pretty good condition overall from the collection of pics I had. it is awsome for us rust belt ppl, but kinda gettin rough for the west coast gang. Just keeping that in mind, this truck will be worth more in the east, and the midwest would probably be the highest bidders.
I think the only rust was in the tailgate, and it was getting pretty bad last time we talked about it.
The engine was replaced about 3 years ago or so....350 stock reman goodwrech engine, new aftermarket A/C, and as some one pointed out, it can be driven cross country at any time. As far as I know, in all her trips, her only break down was a pinched wire a couple months ago. A new rad was recently installed, and it has a newer tune up on it and some what new-ish exhaust too. (manifolds and true duals IIRC)
As for her husband...don't forget, he has a 67 GMC short/step that is lowered and hot rodded out, so in all reality, I doubt there will be an issue in that department.
I am also willing to donate some tools, and she knows she can call me for tech info. I failed her last time, but I helped her before.
Jodie...PM headed your way...
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:40 AM   #25
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Jodie, that Burb belongs nowhere but with you! Like probably most here, I know what it is like to have to go through "difficult" times, but no matter how bleak things may seem, they can be overcome, especially by good people like you! Here is my idea: We all put our heads together and find you a daily driver for your commutes (someone here may just have one sitting around looking for a home, and whether you want to go that way or not, we can raise the funds to see that you get one no matter what the circumstances). I think I can safely speak for a bunch of us "old-timers" on here, and none of us would ever want to see you separated from your Burb! You are not only our friend, but part of our little "cyber family", and you have always been there for us that have needed a boost in moral these past several years. So now, hopefully, we can band together and give you a helping hand! And I'm pretty sure we would all be proud to do so! Tell us what you need darlin'! We can at least try!