The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

Welp....Its official.

I got my settlement check from Insurance On Monday. Still no trace of my truck. Wonder where it ended up?? I am sure that some of you will see parts for sale from it...so...if you do end up with some...well ...Enjoy?!

Maybe someday I can get another one. For now I am paying off bills and got another motorcycle like the one I had to sell from the divorce from my ex biooootch! only this one is better! haha

I will still check in from time to time. Enjoy your trucks everyone!!

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Did they pay you a reasonable amount (not asking the amount, none of my business...)? I worry that my truck with the ultra straight body and no rust will get me $1500 if stolen or totaled.

Slonaker
Old 08-17-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
75stepside
*Proud Member*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
For now I am paying off bills and got another motorcycle...

details details details!!!

pics!?!?!

75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
AirMale

The end of line for gay jokes I guess...lol
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Wow Dave,I didn't even know it was stolen....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Wow Dave,I didn't even know it was stolen....
Have you been on Mars?

Dave, it sucks that it was stolen, but hopefully the money and bike will help heal the pain. Keep us in your thoughts, don't be a stranger, and buy another 73-87 soon.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
Have you been on Mars?

Dave, it sucks that it was stolen, but hopefully the money and bike will help heal the pain. Keep us in your thoughts, don't be a stranger, and buy another 73-87 soon.
I guess I have. I was kind of in outer space for a few weeks, so it may have happened during that time warp...

Dave if you ever see your truck again I know you will be thinking You don't know what's going on You've been away for far too long You can't come back and think you are still mine You're out of touch, my baby My poor discarded baby

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-17-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
Have you been on Mars?
Yeah,......Ken dont you remember seeing me last month on the south side of mars at sonic

Anyway, i didn't know about that either dave that just SUX to the max man!
at least you recovered some scratch from the insurance co.

like the others said dont be a stranger and enjoy the new bike and be careful on it.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:50 PM   #9
82c10
needin' money

hopefully they gave you enough $$, also i hope you don't care if some parts show up at the swap meet, and if they do i buy them
Old 08-18-2005, 04:33 AM   #10
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

If he had it insured for what he told me one time then he's doing alright then. Dave I hate to hear that that didn't recover the truck but you can start new with a new truck and make it the way you wanted it. If you ever want to drive a 73-87 come down here and I'll toss you my keys to drive the truck while I cook you up some BBQ

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:28 AM   #11
LOHRTBT

Hey thanks everyone!! I would never leave here permanently. This place and all of you have been here for me through good times and bad...lots of bad it seems. But things are turning around for me in a lot of ways and I am happier than I have been in a long time. It wont be that easy to get rid of ol Cranktoe!! haha

As far as how much I got for it....they treated me VERY well. All I can tell you guys if you have LOTS of money dumped into your truck, GET A CERTIFIED APPRAISAL!! AND make SURE that your insurance company will take that as a rated value on your truck should anything happen. KEEP ALL reciepts!! Take LOTS of pictures. It really helped me out a lot on getting what I needed out of my truck. Granted..you are gonna lose any labor costs and upkeep and repair work..but the big ticket items add up quickly.

On a happier note.. here is my new toy!!
I hate the color now lol...so next week its going in to the paint shop. Gonna be a color that hardly anyone else "should" have. Its gonna be the 96 Mustang Cobra Mystic paint that shifts like 12 diff colors. it will also have airbrushed skulls and such in a white pearl all through it. I will post a pic when its completed if it comes out good.
These pics are before I cleaned it all up.

- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods

Old 08-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

It sucks that it is gone, but at least the insurance company treated you well. Can you give us their name for future info?

Nice bike. Apparently you like the first one enough to get another one.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #13
Eyegore
What Hump?

Speaking from experience this is the best piece of advice:

As far as how much I got for it....they treated me VERY well. All I can tell you guys if you have LOTS of money dumped into your truck, GET A CERTIFIED APPRAISAL!! AND make SURE that your insurance company will take that as a rated value on your truck should anything happen. KEEP ALL reciepts!! Take LOTS of pictures. It really helped me out a lot on getting what I needed out of my truck. Granted..you are gonna lose any labor costs and upkeep and repair work..but the big ticket items add up quickly.

When my sons truck got stolen and never found this is the only thing that saved us from getting a couple of thousand to what it was really worth. So I now get an appraisel for my trucks and take alot of pictures. But i also learned another thing that i detect in Dave's words - move on, put it behind you, you can't be mad forever about it.

Hey Dave love the bike, keep it that color it blends in w/ the red brick so maybe the thieves will not be able to see it. And when your ready to find another project just let us know - check out my post on the "trucks for sale" to see what I mean.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:37 PM   #14
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

When we had a totally restored 1965 mustang that was totaled by a moron on a cell phone on the wrong side of the road, State farm offered a little over book value for it. We pulled out every reciept for it, they added 1K to the offer, so we threatened suit and they gave us what the reciepts and book value TOGETHER came out to. We're still with them, very good deal makers if you poke them right. We took that money, bought a 1987 camaro, a 1988 boat, and still had money left for the bank. Thats alot of money!
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #15
DrPepper

Guys, I just don't think State Farm, Nationwide, etc., are good places to insure custom machines. I only know this from what I have heard, thankfully I haven't had to go thru it, but Grundy and Hagerty will insure custom machines for what they are worth and that is what they give you if they are stolen or destroyed. They don't go to NADA and then low ball you. When I insured my Rat truck and Nova, Grundy ask me what I thought they were worth and ask for a couple pictures and they sent me a policy. The Rat and Nova are still in process, not finished, and I have $12,000 insurance on them for $114 a year. I think this is a good deal.

I don't like to see car and truck people get ripped off by insurance companies or anyone else.
DrPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:21 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper
Guys, I just don't think State Farm, Nationwide, etc., are good places to insure custom machines.....
I don't like to see car and truck people get ripped off by insurance companies or anyone else.
Very true. In some cases you guys were fortunate enough to have things work for you, in most cases they won't. If you have much more than book value in your truck and it's NOT a daily driver you need a company like Grundy or Hagerty.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #17
LOHRTBT

Oh yeah man..I loved my First Warrior! This one is even better. Has the Stage IV Yamaha Racing kit in it. The old one ran the 1/4 in 13.0@99 this one will do 11.4-11.8@109-115 depending on rider and elevation and weather. Gonna take it out to the track when it cools off and see what she can do. But I can tell a HUGE difference lol. Stock they make about 72rwhp 92ft/lbs this makes 107rwhp 122ft/lbs lol! Cool thing is..it drives and sounds like a stocker!! hehe.

I am yankin the pipe, its too low and I dont like the flow of it, and mostly its not loud enough. I like to be heard...its safer that way.

Eyegore is right. I have State Farm insurance, they have always been very fair to me on any claim I might have had.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #18
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
I have State Farm insurance, they have always been very fair to me on any claim I might have had.
I have State Farm as well. Do I need to ask my agent for a particular type of insurance, or are you just saying that they will pay the appraised value if you have receipts and an appraisal?

How does a person get an appraisal done that would be satisfactory to the insurance company? Who would do it? My truck is not a custom, just clean, straight, and rust free with a lot of new parts. How much does it cost?

Slonaker
Old 08-18-2005, 12:03 PM   #19
Eyegore
What Hump?

Slonaker, just look in the phone book under car appraisers, took a couple of days & $50. The one we used said he was certified but I'm not really sure who certifies this, however the insurance company used his appraisel with no problem.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #20
LOHRTBT

Right...pretty much what he said. Ask around for a classic car appraiser. Mine cost me $100 and worth every penny. Just make sure and talk to your agent about your concerns in case of theft, damage or flood. Make sure that they understand you have a lot more than book value in your truck as ask them if they can submit the appraisal and photos to thier underwriting dept to make sure they have it on file at all times. At first they charged me more to cover it like that...but then they said it was not ness. and they just charged me the regular rate with the stuff still on file.

The main question I asked when I purchased it was ..."WHAT IF" accident/storm/flood/theft happens..how much will I get. They said unless you have a previously stated appraisal value or something on record of more than what is there stock, I would only get the book value, about 4k.

- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods

Old 08-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #21
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Thanks for the info. That is what I needed.

There is a new (stock) engine in my future that probably costs as much as the insurance company thinks my truck is worth.

Slonaker
Old 08-18-2005, 02:29 PM   #22
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Sweet bike Dave. Make sure to post pics up when you get it painted up.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #23
DrPepper

Hey guys, I have my '82 short bed insured thru Grundy Worldwide Insurance. My truck is in pieces at the paint shop. They insured it for what I think it’s worth now. No questions, they just wanted pictures. That’s total replacement or repair, not a pro-rated amount. When it’s painted, I’ll increase the coverage, when I have it back on the road, I’ll increase the coverage, when the interior is complete, I’ll increase the coverage. I have my daily drivers insured thru State Farm. There is no way State Farm would insure my ’82 the way Grundy has.
DrPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:29 PM   #24
hobbz

ive got state fame as well. noting but good for them...

i had a 99 s10 that i had done alot of work to. lowered wheels new tires and such...i totalled it and all i had to do was take them the recipts and they credited me for the stuff. i had purchased the tires about 2 months before i totalled it, they gave me 80% back for what i payed for them... hell they even gave me the 20$ i had in 2 neon tubes i had under the seats...lol

1987 Short Step 350/350
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #25
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

BTW- Dave that's a sweet bike. Just a word of advice on the mystic paint. A little bit goes a long way. Every time I see something painted with that paint it looks way over done. I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but that's what frriends are for. We give free advice whether you want it or not...