The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
truck69

DO I need POR15 at this time?

I have been driving my 69 Chevy Custom Camper just around town and the body is solid. The cab corners will have to replaced sometime in the next year or so. The bottom of the truck is not rusted out or anything like that. I went to a car show today and went thru the vendors and a POR15 dealer was trying his hardest to sell me a 110 dollar gallion of POR15 to put on my truck. Next year I will have enough money to replace the old motor and get body work done. The truck will be stored until then in my unheated garage during the Michigan winter. Do I really need to start putting this stuff on to stop it from turning to dust or will it be aok until next year?

Thanks. Truck69
truck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if you are putting it away for the winter, and the rust is minimal right now... then you can skip it.
However, the stuff does work wonders.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 PM   #3
cdowns

no you don't need// and when you do need it buy it in quarts not gallons
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

There are other rust conversion + prevention products on the market, POR is not the only one. POR has the toughest preparation procedures. I won't try to sway you towards any of the products, just be sure to do your homework before taking that journey and make sure you're comfortable using the products. There are a lot of considerations - like, some of the products you do NOT want to get wet and you always want to pour only as much as you will use. Cure times are specific and you only have a certain window of time to do a second coat/ reapplication and other stuff.

There have been a LOT of threads in this particular forum about rust prevention products. I would take a day or so and dig through them

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
truck69

Thanks for your suggestions and comments. I will read up on it and other choices more and since it is in a garage I might wait til next summer to do anything with it. I will just enjoy the last weeks we have here in Michigan before I have to put it away.

Thanks. Truck69 - Plainwell MI.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Don't buy POR by the gallon. Buy smaller cans instead. Once you open the can, there is only so long before it hardens up permanantly. I'm talking weeks here, not hours or anything. I can usually use a quart here and there on miscellaneous projects before it hardens up, but I'd never use a gallon that way.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
jay-dawg
chevelito

ditto about the small cans. a little goes a long way. I heard you can freeze it, but I didn't try it. Here's a pic of what mine looks like.
Attached Images

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
BOSS
Just here to help

About how much does it take to do a shortbed frame?Also looking at similar products.

Norwood Survivor
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
chevybill

Talking

you can get a 6 pack of 4 ounce cans for about 40 bucks, and you can mix colors in the 6 pack if you want. www.por15.com

Last edited by chevybill; 08-21-2005 at 03:13 PM.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
Squid4life

Gallon worked fine for me for over a year. Opened it no less that 10-15 times. Instructions say to put a piece of saran wrap (plastic) over the can before you put the lid on. Just an FYI...

Squid

Back on the road... In time to sell on Ebay.
Squid4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
jay-dawg
chevelito

I think because I left the can in the hot garage, it dried up faster. The saran wrap is a must! I had to do mine in stages (clean gunk off, wire wheel, metal prep, por-15). I mostly did it myself with help from my fiance. I did one side at a time, then the crossmembers, then flipped it over and did the bottom. I unbolted the front crossmember so that I can get it cleaned real good.

Just a tip, before you apply the por-15, make sure the metal is smooth to the touch. Wipe off any excess metal prep. Otherwise, it won't come out nice and smooth.

BTW, mine is brushed on with rollers designed for flat walls. (not rough). And touched up the hard to reach areas with some cheap brushes.

Good luck on your project!

Jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:17 PM   #12
truck69

Thank you for the tips. I am starting to make room in my garage and will cover it up until next spring to do work on it. I will drive it around atleast a few more weeks.

Thanks. Truck69
Old 08-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #13
Huck

Been using POR15 for about 10 years. Also used Eastwood's rust stopper. I prefer POR but like said above, you need to know how it works. I buy gallon and get some empty quart cans from local paint store. You can buy it on e-bay for $105. with free ship, no tax, and it includes a quart of metal ready and marine cleaner. The catalog has all sorts of "Prep" work but---in general, if you clean off the flaking dirt and loose rust, then wash away any oil-grease, then you are ready to go. Brush or small roller is easy--sprey with caution as this stuff can kill you without proper ventalation. Once open, a can will start to film almost immediately. Using the plastic wrap helps to minimize the oxygen to the paint and also helps prevent the top from sticking. Put in fridge helps. Getting it on your clothes --doesn't come off. Getting it on your skin is like a weak long tatoo. A little goes a long way. Turns crappy if exposed to sunlight but doesn't come off. Thus the topcoat. Great suff for rust prone areas like inside rocker boxes, floors, inner quarters, lower fenders, cab corners and especially the bed floor to rear floor support--where the floor wraps ---wash that area out real good then get a small rush with POR15---get it in there good---even California rust free bled floors will rust out there as the dirt gets trapped. Good luck~~~
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #14
cdowns

i just drill 2small holes in the lid and seal with sheetmetal screws and pour out what i'm going to use into a cup i find it's alot easier than dealing with taking the lid off
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #15
Americanrider

I just found EXTEND rust neutralizer from "Locktite" Comes in a spraycan and works great for hard to reach areas, best of all it's CHEAP. It sprays on and looks like oil but dries into a dull black primer finish. I think that it would be perfect for your winter storage concerns. Maybe overspray with some cheap rattle can color from wal-mart and wait until next year when you can finish it the way you want.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:15 PM   #16
8bolt

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrider
I just found EXTEND rust neutralizer from "Locktite" Comes in a spraycan and works great for hard to reach areas, best of all it's CHEAP. It sprays on and looks like oil but dries into a dull black primer finish. I think that it would be perfect for your winter storage concerns. Maybe overspray with some cheap rattle can color from wal-mart and wait until next year when you can finish it the way you want.
Hi Americanrider where did you get the locktite extend from I had some a while back and the stuff works great Iwould like to get somemore. Thanks 8bolt.
8bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #17
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Hey huck do you have a link for the por on e-bay or e-bay sellers name?? I have been usung por-15 for about a year and am in need of some more...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:48 AM   #18
Americanrider

@ the Local Tru-value hardware store.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:41 AM   #19
truck69

Thanks for the added information. I am always learning alot.

Truck69