The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
55chevy
Car Truck Bike Nut

My lucky day

I stopped by a lil shop/junkyard to ask about truck parts off a 72 sitting in back, the guy says you can have the whole truck for $100, it even has 5 lugs with disc brakes! I was looking for a windshield and whatever else I could scrounge, turns out the windshield is in real good shape and it has bench seat and steering wheel I can use! Maybe I should run down to Florida and buy a lottery ticket too, LOL. I have my eye on a short fleet 68, now it's going to have 5 lug discs too. Oh, my dumb8ss was going to put a 68 fender on the 70 I'm working on, until I read that they don't match, so I also have that fixed, even though this fender needs the typical repair. He left before I could say I wanted it so now I am anxious to contact him and finish the deal, cross my fingers.
94 3500 TD dually
so many cars so little time
72 K2 CST 2WD Blazer
55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:10 AM   #2
longhorn71

great find but if the windsheid has one crackin it.It will be hard to save
longhorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
55chevy
Car Truck Bike Nut

Will be careful

Going to try the rope around the window rubber for removal, maybe oil everything down too.

Got deal made, dying to go pick it up but going to Indiana for Auburn Cord Duesenberg festival. How about the shop I got it at makes fiberglass ground effects for all kind of vehicles? They supply the catalog boys, I asked about roll pans for a 67-72 and they had a basic set, front smooth roll and rear with plate box, guy said $40 each for me. I just saw a pic of a nice 68 with front roll pan in the thread about tire size/ride height, looks so clean, gonna sell my bumpers for $40 LOL. I still can't believe how lucky I got with all the parts I need, it even has a 6 cyl that will go in my future 56 stepside project. The 70 driver I'm working on has a beat up grille, thinking of swapping the 72 on it cause it's in better shape.

It's funny how easy it is to want to restore vehicles from the ground up, the more I work on the 70, the more I want to replace all the little rusted spots with good metal, it actually is fairly good so maybe the budget will allow new rockers and I can mig weld patches in the other spots. The rear bed sides are in real good shape, a fellow said that is hard to find, funny, the bed itself is missing the front half. I think a lot of it is leaves and pine needles around here sit on the vehicles and hold water and rust out.

So many projects, so little time and money.
94 3500 TD dually
72 K2 CST 2WD Blazer
Old 08-30-2005, 10:52 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

rope around the window is for install. i think you cut the rubber to get it out.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:13 PM   #5
55chevy
Car Truck Bike Nut

someone

somebody posted a way to remove the windshield is to poke a thick rope around/behind the inside of the window rubber to hold it away from the metal, then push the windshield out, have someone to catch it, sounds to me like it might work, I'm gullible enough to try things once Maybe run a hair dryer around the rubber to help soften it, although if I did it mid day around here it's been pretty hot.

I have used the rope to install a windshield in a 72 VW bug, got 6 stitches when the rope slipped and I fell on the emergency brake handle with my leg, outside calf has a bump by poorly stitched scar. Always thought I should get a 72 VW tattoo right there LOL
94 3500 TD dually
72 K2 CST 2WD Blazer
Old 08-31-2005, 12:21 AM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

well cool...i learn something new here everyday...
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
acloco

...and a trick to cut the rubber gasket - piano wire/guitar string....you need somebody to help you though....both wear gloves...one pushes and the other...well..you get the idea.

Be careful...things happen really fast....and you can cut a windshield!
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
modifiedGMC

That just proves it never hurts to ask. All they can say is "No I don't want to get rid of it" or "Yes I'll sell/give it to you".
Old 08-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
55chevy
Car Truck Bike Nut

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick980
Cut it, your gonna put a new one on for install arent you?
True, what was I thinking? LOL, I guess the recyler in me.
94 3500 TD dually
72 K2 CST 2WD Blazer