The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
red86chevy

Spindle install instructions

could someone post a site or give me some instructions on removing and installing my 2 1/2" drop spindles on my '86. I have never done this before. I have a Haynes manuel but it doesn't really go into detail. Also is it a good idea to replace the used parts?(ie. ball joints,etc...)

Thank you
Jeremy
86 c-10 383 w/ sportsman II heads comp 286h cam Edlbrock RPM Performer intake Holley 750 th350 w/2400 stall 3.73 gears with powertrax No-Slip posi unit. Just broken in good. Will get a 1/4 time this week.
red86chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Didn't you get instructions with the spindles? In regards to your other question; howm many miles on the front end components? The balljpints may be good and you would not have to do anything there, when you lift the truck you can tell by using a bar to apply pressure to the joints and wheel and see if there is excessive play in them. The steering components will be obvious if they are worn out, due to play in the drag link and the tie rod ends. If you have taken good care of your truck and lubed it regulariliy then you may not need to change anything. NOW for the basic instruction to take the spindles off

Lift the truck, set it on jack stands and remove the front wheels and brake components from the spindle (two long bolts throught the calipers). Take the nuts to the spindle and the tie rod end and loosen them (DO NOT REMOVE THE NUTS, YET) On the tie rod end, hit the top of the nut with a hammer and it will drop free of the press fit in the spindle. Now, on the ball joints --Hit the side of the spindle (where the ball joints go through it and it will pop free also. This is why you do not take the nuts off yet. The spring will spread the upper and lower A frames from the spindle and you want it to stay in the truck and not kick out and beat you senseless. Now that the ball joints are loose you can put a jack under the lower A frame and relieve the pressure on the nut and loosen it. once that is done, you can drop the lower A frame and let the spring out easily. (NOTE the the spring sits in a groove on the A frames and you will have to re-align this again later) Change the spindle out and then put the spring back in with a jack under the lower A frame -----Reverse the procedure to put the lower ball joint back into the spindle. Once that is accomplished tighten and reinstall the tie rod end and brake components.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

answer/...

pu the latest custom classic trucks....tech on dropping our trucks.!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Kopper

Probably not exactly the same as what you have but the steps are the same.

http://www.djmsuspension.com/Instruc...s/Spindles.pdf
Kopper is offline   Reply With Quote