The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done...Rita edition

WOW! Where do I begin? Did I get anything truck related accomplished this week? NO! Lets have a little recap of this weeks events.-

Wednesday-

Worked all day like normal. Realized that getting home would be impossible since all the normal ruotes were now evacuation routes. Took the back roads home only to find them under construction.
Once I got home my wife started having severe stoumach pains. after a couple of hours she couldn't stand it any longer so I rushed her to the emergency room. The end result of an all night adventure was she needed an emergency apendectomy.

Thursday-
Since everyone is evcatuating the hospital is short handed and surgery can't be scheduled until mid day. The hospital doesn't have a pharmacy open to the public, so the send me out looking for meds at 2:30. By now every place is closed because the entire town is trying to leave.
My wife spends the evening in the hospital since she has a fever. I get to stay up all night because the nurses and staff don't know how to close a door or talk with an "inside voice".

Friday-
It's been two days since I have had any real sleep, and I am trying to get my wife home. It's way to late to leave town so we have to ride the storm out. I get home mid day and start trying to secure anything that might blow away. I put everything in my storage shed that will fit and as many cars in my garage as possible. It's to late to board up windows so I pull all the screens and say a prayer.
It's about this time that I realize the pump for my pool is burnt up. I wondered why it was turning green.
Finally I get some much needed sleep friday night.

Saturday-
I manage to sleep through the storm. We really were blessed that most of it went to the east of us. I prayed that it wouldn't hit here, and prayed for the perople that it did hit.

I spent the afternoon helping a buddy take down the boards from his windows. The rest of the day was spent putting everything back where it belonged at my house. That took a few hours.

Sunday-
I finally got a decent nights sleep. I got up early and worked on my pool pump. I managed to swap the pool pump with the one for the waterfall. It took another hour to get all the pine needles cleaned up out of the pool.

Spent the rest of the afternoon washing all my windows before I installed the screens again. I need to mow the grass but it's 101 degrees out there. I think I will wait.

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 09-25-2005 at 07:18 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
hobbz

i spent the weekend i the hospital as well. my wife's stepmom had a baby so my wife is a sister now. the baby was born at 24 weeks and 1 lb 9 oz. given a 50% chance but things are looking good.

1987 Short Step 350/350
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
7T7
Regular guy

I know this will sound bad, especially for the folks in east Texas and Louisiana but I'm sooo glad that storm didn't hammer the Houston area.
Happy to see Ken never stopped posting, even with a family problems and bad weather.
What a trooper!

As for me and the truck, I raised the front inner fenders up 3".

The rest of the weekend was spent building a cabinet for my NEW TV!!!!
Anyone else here have HDTV? I LOVE THIS THING!
I find myself just sitting there staring at it!

It's hypnotizing.
Edelbrock MPFI, 700r4, Baer Brakes
9" F@rd rear, Vintage air, Bags etc etc..

Last edited by 7T7; 09-25-2005 at 09:25 PM.
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbz
i spent the weekend i the hospital as well. my wife's stepmom had a baby so my wife is a sister now. the baby was born at 24 weeks and 1 lb 9 oz. given a 50% chance but things are looking good.
thoughts and prayers

Last edited by 82c10; 09-25-2005 at 10:20 PM.
82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

We were counting on Rita to come up this way as well but it all went east. Not even a drop of rain from it. We got lucky as well and been thinking about those not so lucky. I changed the oil and tranny fluid filters on the truck. Hard to do anything else with less and less time going on. Now that I've joined a gym I'm working more on myself than the truck.But at least I'll look better driving the truck I've hit a plateau on the weight loss and need to get it going again. Besides that anyone got a front end kit they want to donate to me

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
Zilverado
Account Suspended

A week away from concrete...

Spent the weekend laying heating pipe and adjusting forms for the concrete slab pour next weekend. Saturday, Oct.1 is the BIG day. Once the slab is in, I can concentrate on getting the yard ready for winter - - start the build next year....

Also, my thoughts and prayers are with all of my fellow board members and their families that have been effected by the horrible weather in the south. While we up here in Canada don't see that kind of devestation (at least not hurricane related), we can certainly empathize.

God Bless you all.

Attached Images

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Well, as in this thread, worked on getting my pulleys installed, along with other stuff. Been working on all this stuff (intake, headers, exhaust, pulleys, etc.) for a few weeks off and on. Can't wait to get it all done and back on the road. I've been in no hurry to do everything though.

Frank,

yes, I have a Sony Grand Wega 42" HDTV. There is absolutely no comparison between a widescreen HDTV and a regular tv. One thing these TV's will do. They will make you want to watch it more, which in turn makes you more lazy.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
TrainD5115
North Coast, baby!

Glad to hear all's well that ends well Ken. To be honest, I haven't watched much of the Rita coverage because I was burnt out from watching all of the Katrina stuff. I think the Gulf coast has earned a well deserved rest for the remainder of the season. Best wishes for all of you down there.
3.73's
Still running full CA smog gear!
TrainD5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Well I called into work on Friday (no gas ) but the mall was closing anyways. Alotta preparedness-ness went on Friday. I didn't sleep Friday night thanks to watching the weather, and me and daddy stood on the carport and stoop all friggin day Saturday watching the trees and limbs. Spent today cleaning up the yard, then we had the neighbors over for grilled hamburgers.

BTW, finally found gas, and I put my entire worldly finances (about 16 dollars) in it and got a tad less than 6 gallons. Yippee. At least I got enough to make it to work this week (hopefully).
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #10
82c10
needin' money

also i am thinking about gettin another truck, or a 72 dodge dart

Last edited by 82c10; 09-25-2005 at 10:21 PM.
82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #11
454HO

I did the hurricane drill too. My company closed Thur and Fri so employees could prepare. I waited in lines at the grocery store, the gas station and the bank on Thur. On Fri, I boarded up windows and secured stuff in the yard. Started cleaning up Saturday afternoon. I never even lost power and we only got 1/2" of rain.

Truck related, all I got done is order some more parts. A polished Sanden compressor, parallel flow condensor,
aluminum pulleys, and Alan Grove PS bracket. Hopefully UPS will be running on schedule and this stuff comes in before the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82c10
also i am thinking about gettin another truck, or a 72 dodge dart
Cool. I have a '71 Dart. It's getting a small block 416 stroker motor this winter. I already have the short block done. Just need to finish some stuff on the truck so I can start working on it.

Last edited by 454HO; 09-27-2005 at 09:07 AM.
454HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

^^^ thats new.

I didn't get much done at all. I worked on Saturday, and putzed around the house/garage all day today. This week I will finish my tranny cooler install, do some final wiring, and hopefully buy a few truck parts...so I can start the dang thing soon.

Last edited by bigblock73; 09-25-2005 at 10:32 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:49 PM   #13
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
^^^ thats new.

I didn't get much done at all. I worked on Saturday, and putzed around the house/garage all day today. This week I will finish my tranny cooler install, do some final wiring, and hopefully buy a few truck parts...so I can start the dang thing soon.
if you was talkin about the dart, my dad likes old mopars,this past june he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and when he first got in there they said if he wouldn't have went for checkup he wouldn't have lived another month, i am not much of a mopar fan, but it will be like a son-funded father-son project, on the other hand he was on blood thinner, and having to give himself shots everyday for a few weeks, then he went in for another checkup, and they said his heart still wasn't in rhythm, so he had it shocked, they had to shock it three times,it put it back into rhythm, since the middle of june he has lost 45 lbs.and is still losing more
Old 09-26-2005, 09:26 AM   #14
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82c10
if you was talkin about the dart, my dad likes old mopars,this past june he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and when he first got in there they said if he wouldn't have went for checkup he wouldn't have lived another month, i am not much of a mopar fan, but it will be like a son-funded father-son project, on the other hand he was on blood thinner, and having to give himself shots everyday for a few weeks, then he went in for another checkup, and they said his heart still wasn't in rhythm, so he had it shocked, they had to shock it three times,it put it back into rhythm, since the middle of june he has lost 45 lbs.and is still losing more
I was pointing (^^^) to my deleted thread. I deleted my thread because you originally said you were going to get a new truck, a Dodge Dart...my response was a Dodge is a car, not a truck. By the time I finished posting, you edited your thread and corrected yourself...so I deleted mine.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, hopefully you guys can spend some quality time together, and hopefully it will be a lot of it. Dodge Darts are actually pretty cool cars...stick a small block 318/340/360 in one of these lightweights and it will fly! What year Dart is it anyhow? I loke the late 60's versions the best.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:15 AM   #15
live85

By all means, spend all the time you can with your dad. Mine died 3 1/2 years ago. He loved my truck, so I keep it and drive it occasionally on the weekends. I drove it to work friday and loved it, but $15/day in gas prevents me from loving it too much.
Yes, HDTV is cool. I have a Mitsubishi 65" widescreen that my dad told me to buy before he passed. I love watching football on that thing. Makes you want to invite the neighborhood to watch.
We had several tornados here in Alabama yesterday due to Rita. We hope the best for you guys in TX and LA.
Have a good week everyone.
Mike.
live85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #16
86 GMG

it wasnt a good weekend but it doesnt compare to those of you that got caught in rita bless all of you basically friday evening was a waste of time suppose to work on truck with a friend he fell through. So saturday (wifes b-day) i was suppose to work on truck and she went to her dads side of family (i dont care for them) me friend fell through again three diffrent set times so my truck still sites in his shop saturday nught my wife and i got in a big fight and she got the cops called on me they left laughing at us she went to stay at her moms and sunday she came back home and sayed lets act like nothing happened and so we enjoyed our sunday together i am beat today but life is fun
Old 09-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #17
Prerunner1982

as some of you may have noticed i havent been posting much...i have been really busy...

been trying to get my house done... had everything moved in and ready to go, but lacked power... was quoted $1500-2900 to get it hooked up... a co-worker of my father-in-law did the work for us.. $740 for parts... 6hrs of labor for free....that was a blessing..

get moved in and i wire up the phone jacks, and connect them to the box.. they come out to turn it on and nothing.... it doesnt work.. they blame it on a "cable facility problem". so the next morning (fri) we call them and they say it was fixed on thurs.. we finally get ahold of the phone company again, Sat they send a nicer, not so lazy tech out.. he gets it all fixed up.. but has to run a telephone line about a 1/4 mile away to get any dial tone, so they will be back out to bury it sometime this week.

i have also been working overtime.. last weekend, my assistant manager was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle. The report says he ended up 150' from the point of impact and a witness said he flew almost as high as the stop light. he broke his right ankle, his right femur, the bone above his right eye, his left hand and tore the ACL in his left leg. so he will be out for some time..

as far as this weekend, friday took the family to the state fair... daughter loved it and thats the important part.. work a few hours friday night. sat was going to relax but the radiator in wifes maxima blew friday night.. so i get up and take the old one out and wait on the new one to come in...called about the radiator a few times and finally found out it was dropped at a store like 10 miles away.. they send someone to get it and we head into town.. stop at the gas station to use the ATM, as we walk in i see someone trying to start thier car and it just clicks, i tell the wife to go in and i would help them.. move my truck, try to pop the hood and nothing... doesnt budge.. i ended up just cutting the cable and the hood popped open.. and finally help the people out.. get the radiator fixed on the wifes car... sprayed for bugs around the house and mowed.. called it a day..

sunday i worked 14hrs, in the morning i had an extra hour of free time, before we opened and everything was done so i fixed my truck...
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #18
1987 Shortwide

Thursday morning at 12:15 am I left Wichita headed for Kansas City. Arrived in KC at 2:30 am and got on a 5:45 am flight for Atlanta GA. Arrived in Atlanta about 9:00 am and hopped on another plane headed for Lousville KY. Arrived in Lousville at 10:45 and picked up my new car. Departed Louisville at 12:00 pm and drove 702 miles straight back through KC to pick up my buddy's car we took to the airport and back home. Arrived home at 10:30 PM Thursday and slept for a bit. Friday was clean the cars day, and Saturday morning bright and early we headed out to Ark City (45 miles away) for a rodrun and cruise.

My best friend's car in the show...

My new Daily driver that we picked up in KY...(came with steelies, so those are the truck wheels on it)
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:01 PM   #19
mingoman

I've been working our plant shutdown the past two weeks so thats about been it. Got off this morning and after a nap I am going to start building the 350 for #2 sons truck.Plan on going to my place on the ridge tommorrow to plant wheat & clover food plots.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #20
Izzy
Trucker.

Friday/Saturday cutting limbs out of our hackberry tree/red buds, ripping up a ton of small red buds and other brush in the sorely unattended front flowerbed and replanted some english ivy and some other bushes the wife picked out.

Sunday we cleaned up the kitchen cabinets, laid down new shelf liner and began unpacking/cleaning all of our dishes. Assembled and setup our solar lights, they have to charge for 10-12 days before we can move them.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:17 AM   #21
static22

I lived through 2 tornadoes here in OKC area so I can say I wish everyone a quick recovery going through all the flooding and hurricane damage. My thought and prayers are with you all.

Oh yeah, I helped my brother move this weekend and we are doing a birtheday party for my daughter next weekend. 10 little girls for a slumber party. All 9yrs or younger. Anyone need a house guest for an evening?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #22
86 GMG

i drove a 72 plymouth valient scamp it had a 318 and a three speed automatic i put motor mounts and three rear-ends in it and layed it over on its side on night darn drunk ditch or was it darn drunk driver it traveled me around for four years with minimum problems i was in h.s. it was about 26 years old then but i sure had a lot of fun it was that popular b.s. green. 454ho that is a really nice straight dart you have i kinda miss mine from time to time i believe it still runs it just sits by a barn from what i heard.