The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

ECE Late Model 4.8 5.3 6.0 Engine Mount Kit

Has anyone seen these? Used them? I am contemplating a 6.0L/4L80e swap for my 71 SWB with a Painless Harness and maybe these mounts. I sent ECE an email. They say "Slight frame modification may be required, depending on application"

http://www.earlyclassic.com/ProductI...II%20MOUNT.JPG

63-72 Gen III Motor Mount Conversion Kit (Kit)
Looking to install a late model Generation III engine in your 1963-1972 C Series Truck? Early Classic once again leads the way with our new Generation III Mount Conversion Kit that allows you to bolt in a 1999 or newer 4.8,5.3,5.7, or 6.0 GM engine directly into your engine bay.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
Custom 68

Re: ECE Late Model 4.8 5.3 6.0 Engine Mount Kit

rich probably the only mod needed would be slight clearance for the exhaust manifolds. this should be minimal.
I made the same type mounts but I built up off teh cross member instead of the plate mounting from the top to the bottom flange on the frame rails this gave me more room for the vette manifolds I used. so far it hasnt jumped out of the truck...
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Look at my gallery

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

In particular, here:

http://satellitehead.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
masterbeavis
Having issues

Heh, I thought I read the title as FREE late model 4.8 5.3...... Darn sun comin thru the window.. I was like, I need to read this before it gets deleted!!!

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Shifty,
How was the fit? Looks tight. What exact motor did you use(from what)? I read a few of your posts on the LS1tech site. You said something about a 99+ truck oil pan. I am guessing you kept the stock accessories and mounting brackets by the looks of the pics... Do you think the engine sits high in the frame?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix
Shifty,
How was the fit? Looks tight. What exact motor did you use(from what)? I read a few of your posts on the LS1tech site. You said something about a 99+ truck oil pan. I am guessing you kept the stock accessories and mounting brackets by the looks of the pics... Do you think the engine sits high in the frame?
The second truck pan arrives tomorrow - GMPartsDirect did the worst job of packing the damned last one and many of the bolts were missing on arrival - so they basically insured it through DHL and theyr'e sending me another complete one! I'll probably sell the old pan and new pan once I get the hardware - so - if anyone needs a GenIII truck oil pan (it makes the engine fit 100 times better over the crossmember), give me a shout. Retail is $250 at most dealers.

I want to get everything done this weekend but It's looking like I'll be too tied up ... AGAIN

It's still not in. They look great and the fit of the mounts seems to put the engine right in the perfect place so just the right angle is on it and the weight is distributed how/where it should be in reference to the wheels. I've only done a test fit so far - you gotta test fit them, drill new holes in the cross member (it uses the exiisting frame rail holes) and mount them, then drop the engine in.

OVerall, I am VERY happy with the craftsmanship and couldn't ask for a better part.

As for the fit --- The A/C compressor is too wide. I refuse to notch the frame right now, so I'm just going to get it all going without A/C for now and cross that bridge later when I get a welder and it's not cold as hell outside.

If anyone else has questions, keep em coming. I'll be happy to answer anything you want. If you have questions about any of the pictures also, please, feel free to ask.

Last edited by shifty; 10-25-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
Hart_Rod

If you are using the truck 4.8/5.3.6.0, I think you will only have to notch on the passenger side for the a/c unit. I've bought my engine (5.3/4L60e) and the ECE kit for my 1969 suburban, but haven't started yet. I still need to gather some more parts, gas tank (I'm going to have FuelCell guy build me one), electric fans, wiring harnes (probably S&P), misc......

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:45 PM   #9
Chrome8

hey, thanks for the info on the gen III stuff here. Doesn't your engine have a truck oil pan on it? Is it the Vette GTO CTS-V engine? The accessories would be completley different on that to my recolection. I've been selling them for 5 years i really should know but i don't. I'm thinking about a 6.0 in front of 4L80 mated to a np205 in a 72 k20, i have to sell my c10 first though. Cutting the frame is a big concern for me, have you found manifolds that fit nice? Also, i know GM pp makes a serpentine kit for sbc, i wonder if this would mount up the newer accessories and keep from having to cut the frame? Can you use a new style compressor with vintage air or stock 72 air? Fuel injection is AWSOME!

Last edited by Chrome8; 11-03-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:05 AM   #10
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome8
hey, thanks for the info on the gen III stuff here. Doesn't your engine have a truck oil pan on it? the 4.8/5.3/6.0 only came in trucks, (a few exceptions)
Mine is a 5.7, LS1 out of a TransAm WS6. Came with stock pan, puts out more HP and TQ than the stock truck engines do I think? Not sure.

Either way, I got the new pan, new oil pick up tube, dip stick and dip stick tube should arrive tomorrow and I get to promptly leave town and can't install it till next week ... so the project is stalled yet another week. At this point, I'm hoping to get done by Christmas. :\

Quote:
Cutting the frame is a big concern for me, have you found manifolds that fit nice?
I've heard of people using 'vette stock manifolds. Not sure. I saw someone here on the forum who had a friend with some shorty headers which I'm seriously thinking about. I turned them down due to lack of OČ bungs. I wanted to keep my front sensors, delete the secondary ones. Headers will probably be the last thing I tinker with. So many other things to worry about - pedals, gas linkage, hydraulic clutch swap, cooling, wiring harness, reprogramming, driveshaft, shifter, power steering hoses, the list goes on and on. I would have never been prepared to accept all of the things necessary to continue - I would have hated to have had an auto tranny that's that many more wires and sensors you gotta deal with

Quote:
Also, i know GM pp makes a serpentine kit for sbc, i wonder if this would mount up the newer accessories and keep from having to cut the frame?
I found several sites on the web which basically people made kits to move the peripherals "up" for the 5.7L F-body LS1 engines. If you get a truck engine, you shouldn't need to worry about it - the truck engines (4.8/5.3/6.0) have more of a V shape to them, should drop right in and you won't need to swap the pan either.

You can use the PCM (computer) from an LS1 with the 6.0 (LQ9 or whatever?) engine that's in the Escalade. Lots of parts to interchange there from what I understand reading other websites.

Quote:
Can you use a new style compressor with vintage air or stock 72 air?
Yes. In fact, this is something FirstGen did. Here's a link to his swap:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post1310375

Here is a link to a thread I'm working on over at LS1tech.com with more links to useful info:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370781

Old 11-03-2005, 10:33 PM   #11
Chrome8

Thanks for all the info. i have a lot of info to sift thru. I am thinking LQ9 6.0 HO from the Escalade. I looked at firstgen's thread and it sounded like he had to hack up the frame to make the compressor fit. I Hate that, but if Its a must it's a must. He's got that thing running 450 HP! I want one bad. Again, thanks for the help.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Confucius
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:07 AM   #12
shifty
Questionable

I got everything in. I gotta say, this engine mount kit rocks. I need to have a high hump for my tranny now though, so I'm waiting on that. My entire project is stalled until I can buy it and have it shipped here.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:52 AM   #13
roj2323

it's strange how familure these brackets look. i posted this faq on how to do this last year and it will cost you way less than $100 installed.

How to adapt 73-87 engine mounts to a 67-72 frame
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:33 AM   #14
shifty
Questionable

Excellent post, roj. You think they mighta stole your design? Yours actually look exactly like what I installed on my truck only mine are much, much beefier and the poly in the mounts looks to be of higher quality.

Last edited by shifty; 11-18-2005 at 01:33 AM.