The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
jimmydean

Trick stereo installs?

I am waiting for my gas tank before I start my install, but I'm thinking about doing something a little crazy in my truck. I wanted to know if there are any serious installs on this board and can you share some pictures?

The problem I'm having right now is a location for a monitor. I was looking at in-dash 7" motorized monitors, but they all sit near flush with the face. This won't work in the stock location beause of the dash pad. I can't do a center console because of the location of the 4 speed shifter. It looks like my only real option is a small drop down bellow the heater controls along the bottom of the dash.

I am also looking at a cab mounted linux box with a keyboard in the glove box. Something like this is what we use at work:
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9737748162.html

Combine that with the Rockford Fosgate Omnifi system and it might be some cool technology in my old school rig.

I would like to see what others have done. My goal is to keep it as stock looking as possible with minimal cutting.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
67chevemall

Re: Trick stereo installs?

I have a middle consol between the seats
with cobra CB, mbquarts5+1", deck w/moter screen.
The screen can be viewed in the rear view while driving or just turning the head.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I installed a my deck and 6 disc changer in the center console. I left the AM/8-track in the dash.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
jimmydean

I htought about that, but I don't want to give up my middle seat. The Omnifi system is only as deep as a faceplate, so mounting that somewhere is cake. I thought about doing a center console like the Scat consoles you see in Bugs, but the shifter is so far under the dash, that bringing something to the floor would look bad.

I may end up doing a flip down setup with a custom overhead console, but I didn't plan on doing anything special for a headlinner.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
farside847

I too was thinking about a "flip down" monitor for under the heater controls. But I could not find a motorized monitor that filipped down the right way. It would need to flip out so the monitor would be somewhat flush, then retract back up under that dash... Would be handy for a NAV system
Old 10-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

I did a stereo in the glovebox with lots of pics. Its about 5-6pages back. M2C
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
jimmydean

So I have the system mapped now, it's only a matter of logistics now. When I looked at cost, here is the best solution for me:

http://www.xenarc.com/product/700IDT.html (7" in-dash touch screen)
Mounted under the dash. The display will cover the heater controls, but it's not as bad as hitting the dash. Also, the face is somewhat stealth, so it will look slick.

Custom bracket behind the stock stereo location and mount a Mac Mini in the dash. I only need a slot for the drive and I can make a custom flip down face to hide it.

This covers all my tunes, wireless, computing needs and the whole setup is about $1000. With the touch screen monitor, I don't need a mouse or keyboard and the Mac OS 10 will interface perfect with my Linux laptop (no need for a Windows box!!!).

I will start the project after the hollidays when I star on my interior. I will be sure to post some pics from start to finish.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 AM   #8
cstanley

I was thinking of doing the same in mine. gameplan was for a mac mini or make my own mini itx board and stash under the seat or in original radio location. my dilemma is that the po cut the dash for a modern radio (crappy job, too.) i figure that, with some sharp metalwork (and a spare dash, anyone?) i can stretch the radio opening and recess down toward the ac controls (i don't smoke, so losing the ashtray doesn't bother me.) this should give enough room for the xenarc touchscreen, then mount a larger screen inside the glovebox with a mini keyboard attached to the inside of the door (better for my navigator to run the gps nav system.)

another option would be to fix the dash, do the glove box install w/ screen and keyboard, and install a mini screen for nav and music in the factory tach location (very small screen, minor programming.)

i think at least that the glove box install could be very clean and well done, maybe with the cd drive/memory card drive at the ashtray.

aside from dashboard butchery, any thoughts?
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 AM   #9
jimmydean

I was thinking about the gove box too. My dash is uncut, so I might put an old scool 2 knob deck in there for looks, then mount the mac in the glove box and the screen under the dash.

I have a ton of interior work that needs to happen first. My suspension is first on the list now that my new motor is installed. But I hope to have the ground work stated before spring.