The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #1
Luvlegs

Anybody do up a plan to follow first?

I have two household projects to complete and then I get started on the transformation of my truck. I am looking for an organized schedule or plan (in a list form) for a vehicle project that I can use as a reference - I don't want to start off in 12 directions and have 6 of these and none of those when it comes to parts or half finished mini-projects.
Here's what I'm doing - I have a 72 C10 lwb - next week picking up the motor - 3/4 completed (I have to finish) by race engine builder (buddy of mine) - 454 spec'd out at 500hp and turbo 400 to go with it (to be rebuilt). Plan is a weekend cruiser that can I can also run at the drags occasionally. I have my shop ready to bring the truck in and start the tear down. I will be doing a frame up "re-do" not a restoration per-se but building it the way I want it (by myself). I am looking for a schedule I can scrutinize for things that I might not have thought of yet or things that'll get an "oh yeah, didn't anticipate that!" I'm kinda anal about stuff so I have to have a plan before I go tearing off into fantasy land! Got a pretty good size shop and a butt load of tools - not all I will need or want (probably never will!) but a good start... Anybody do it this way? Trying to get pics attached of the starting point.

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
72 longhorn BB

Re: Anybody do up a plan to follow first?

I'd be interested too, if someone has ont to share

1972 C-20 Longhorn
402 BB .030" over (409?), curved HEI,
RV cam, quadrajet, dual 3" exhaust, TH 400 ported w/shift kit

1999 K1500 Suburban (old style)
5.7L Vortec
4L60E

"No matter where you go, ........ there you are"
72 longhorn BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
truckdude239

hey luvleg what part of nc u in?
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Lots os guys have done them on MS Project. I do mine in MS Excel since I continually change them and want to track estimated price vs actual cost. The problem is that time to work on trucks has to be balanced against other life activities...like family. I have never missed a work schedule in 25+ years but have missed every restoration project schedule in that time...LOL! I guess that tells you where my priorities are!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
Luvlegs

I'm in Garner, just SE of Raleigh - about 7 minutes from downtown.
I'm not concerned so much about the money part or the time line, just the step one, step two and progress. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the money will be a BIG issue! hahaha My plan will include things like dropping the tranny at the builders shop without going by the house, getting it done and THEN bringing it home and THEN throwing the receipt on the table.... I'll have to figure some of that sort of stuff in too! (already done - too late)~

1972 C10 L6 3OTT

Last edited by Luvlegs; 11-01-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
FormerMember
Account Suspended

I have one in project, but it keeps growing.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

This has always been more of a hobby and therapy for me. So, the constant workflows, schedules, spreadsheets, databases and so on that I deal with daily at work aren't as formalized on restorations. If I was doing this for a living there would be details and milestones galore.

Having said that, I always begin with the end in mind so I know how to proceed and in what order. I break the project down into sub-assemblies and make lists of parts, supplies, materials, tasks and the order to perform the tasks for each sub-assembly. Examples of sub-assemblies are; engine compartment, cab, bed, suspension, frame and so on. Just as in real life, its all subject to change for any number of reasons.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #8
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocwon
I break the project down into sub-assemblies and make lists of parts, supplies, materials, tasks and the order to perform the tasks for each sub-assembly. Examples of sub-assemblies are; engine compartment, cab, bed, suspension, frame and so on. Just as in real life, its all subject to change for any number of reasons.
I can't say it any better than that. I would only add that you keep in mind where parts are going to be stored during the process. If your shop can contain the entire truck while it is disassembled, and still allow you to work, then you are way ahead. I have the disassembled bed on my rear porch, my bedsides in my shop at work, the doors, hood, interior, at my mother's house... its crazy working in a two stall garage!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
Luvlegs

I guess I was thinking more of things like A) get the frame exposed B) finish the cab c) get the cab back on the frame - remembering to order new mounting bushings... That sort of stuff so I can minimize the room it will take to keep say a cab seperate from the frame for longer than necessary... or help with logistics that I can plan around and heads ups to order parts BEFORE I get to the point I need them.... I guess I'll finish my plan and then let you all take a look and see what you can add, point out or help perfect... again, just looking to identify the "Next step" not so much time to do it.... (and then double that) ...... (and triple the $$$)....sort of stuff

1972 C10 L6 3OTT