The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
JalopyToGo

How hard is it to rebuild 3 speed std trans

Looks like the trany is sticking in 2nd or 3rd, guess I need to rebuild quickly to get my son back on the road. Has anyone ever rebuilt, are the parts easy to find and is it hard to rebuild. Last night we added more fluid and its still not working right. Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance
06 Caddy CTS
JalopyToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: How hard is it to rebuild 3 speed std trans

Wish you lived nearby, I'd sell you my spare cheap. Shipping would cost too much to make it worthwhile to send.

picture: http://satellitehead.com/uploads/dri...rain%20001.jpg

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 11-02-2005 at 02:24 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I rebuilt one about a week ago on the tailgate of my truck (I haven't gotten my shop built yet).

A complete parts kit for the rebuild is 70 bucks if you need everything.

I'd pull the side cover off first though. Second and Third gears are the front shifter lever. They have a fork inside the cover which slides a collar fore and aft, selecting between the two gears. I'd pull the cover and make sure the shift fork is engaged in the collar and moving freely.

The side cover is 7 bolts. It's all self explanatory to pull it off and look inside.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
pissonNOS

TX firefighter did that rebuild include any hard parts or just seals and gears?
when my 3 speed crapped out on me i couldnt find parts anywhere same thing when my saginaw 4 speed cratered
Jason
Old 11-02-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

That's seals, gaskets, bearings, and synchros.

The gears are available too though. I use Standard Transmission (they have a good website too) for all my stuff. Not only are they nationally famous for selling transmissions, but they are local to me too.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If the truck has an original column shifter I would suggest checking it first.They are prone to getting dirty and gummed up.When they do they don't shift well and hang up usually in 2-3.I usually clean it by using solvent and a paintbrush or just washing it thoroughly with WD-40.Then a little lube.Also check to see if the bushings that go in the shifter arms are there and good.They make a lot of difference in the way the truck shifts.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Not to be contrary,but my 72 will hang up going from 1st to 2nd if you don't use a little finesse when shifting.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
69TowRig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72
Not to be contrary,but my 72 will hang up going from 1st to 2nd if you don't use a little finesse when shifting.
Try removing the steering wheel off and taking the column apart. The shift collar inside mine was so gunked up that it took about 3 seconds to do the 1-2 shift, had to pop it back to neutral from 1st, push the lever down, and shift to 2nd. There was no spring action to it. I also had to pull pretty hard to get it up to the 1-R rail. I took it all apart, cleaned and lightly greased it all, and put it back together. It shifts smooth as butta now.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:40 AM   #9
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TowRig
Try removing the steering wheel off and taking the column apart. The shift collar inside mine was so gunked up that it took about 3 seconds to do the 1-2 shift, had to pop it back to neutral from 1st, push the lever down, and shift to 2nd. There was no spring action to it. I also had to pull pretty hard to get it up to the 1-R rail. I took it all apart, cleaned and lightly greased it all, and put it back together. It shifts smooth as butta now.
I don't mean to "Jack" this thread,but 69TR that makes sense to me.I wasn't looking for a fix..but I am going to try your suggestion.This site is like Candid camera.You get valuable information when you least expect it.Hail to the king baby!!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #10
JalopyToGo

You guys are awsome. The column shifter broke several months ago so I converted to a floor shifter, I loaned out my other column and my son really wanted a floor shifter. It worked great until this past weekend when we started with the trans problems. Last night I checked out all the linkages and they all appear to be working fine. When I shift back to neutral all the levers and linkages line up correctly. So I guess I'll be getting into the trans this weekend. Thanks for all the help.
06 Caddy CTS
JalopyToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:32 PM   #11
jimfulco

I'd be suspicious of linkage problems, too.

If if does turn out to be an internal transmission problem, they're not too hard to rebuild, but you will either need seven hands & infinite patience, or a good lock ring plier. Here's a pic (stolen from Ebay):

Vaseline will hold the little loose roller bearings in place while you put things together. Don't use the good Vaseline.

A good exploded view helps, as does the ability to keep track of parts, whether you bag/label them or just lay them out in order in a place where the kids, cats, parents, etc., won't move them around for you while you're not looking. See if your parts supplier includes a diagram with the parts kit.

Beware that in many cases, transmission parts that look the same are not the same, such as synchronizer assemblies (which also should remain with their original partners, hub A with sleeve A, etc.). Be sure to note which direction things point (big teeth toward the front or rear, etc.)
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #12
truckdude239

umm i don't know i pulled mine from my truck today due to i got an new one for 15 buxs well new to me opened mine up and man everything was messed up lol
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #13
Green Machine

The steering column under the hood has an adjustment also that can be tightened to take up the slack between the R-1 and the 2-3 levers, it is kind of a cam type adjustment, loosen screw and turn the cam thing. If it is too loose down there, the selector can slip between and cause locked linkage and shifting problems, Also do the tear apart and grease thing on top if it move hard. It would bet you have shifter problems, not tranny problems, I would check that first.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote