The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
CoolRide

2 bbl to 4 bbl info please.

Hello, I have a 67 c10 with the original 283 and 2jet carb, in saaaad shape.

Has not really been run in 26 years. I did drive it home (about 4 miles) with the gas from 1980 hehehehe. Anyhow I don't want to spend a ton for a reman 2 bbl so I dug up a Edelbrock preformer intake and just got a Edelbrock 600 carb, and was wondering if this is a straight up bolt on deal? Or are there other concerns (like how am I going to put oil in it now lol) or vacuum issues of some sort? If anyone has done this swap I sure would appreciate any info/ tips.
Thank you.

CoolRide
CoolRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
truckdude239

Re: 2 bbl to 4 bbl info please.

you can change trhe vavlecovers from an newer v-8 or if theres an advance auto around you they sell dress up kits for our trucks one here is like 40 buxs with vavle covers with oil fill as to the intake it should bolt right on some one correct me if i'm wrong

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube

Last edited by truckdude239; 01-13-2006 at 10:14 PM.
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
jimfulco

The manifold may have a flat spot that can be machined for the filler tube.

You might want to check and see if the 283 has extra-small intake ports that won't match up to the ones on the Edelbrock manifold. My 283 is a '59-model engine and the intake ports are much smaller than those on any aftermarket intake I've ever seen.

Last edited by jimfulco; 01-13-2006 at 10:25 PM.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:06 AM   #4
CoolRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
The manifold may have a flat spot that can be machined for the filler tube.

You might want to check and see if the 283 has extra-small intake ports that won't match up to the ones on the Edelbrock manifold. My 283 is a '59-model engine and the intake ports are much smaller than those on any aftermarket intake I've ever seen.
Thanks. I checked today and the ports seem to be the same, but it is something I would not have thought to check myself.

CoolRide
Old 01-15-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
CoolRide

Well I got the new intake on today. Still need to get a little tricky with the linkage, and a couple things, but I think I have most the "hard stuff " done.

Also put on new sparkplugs/wires and cap and rotor. Not getting too fancy there cause Im ordering the pertronix flame thrower dizzy and coil.

Got my new two piece bracket to mount my alt. While still being able to put headers on, Thanks to those on here that gave me the info.

Ill keep ya updated. Still sceeerd to posts pics in case they turn out to be of that mustang, I don't know whats up with that.

CoolRide
Old 01-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
Brento72
resU deretsigeR

I've used the edelbrock carbs on three of my previous engines and love them. The tuning is simple with a vac guage and adjustments are easy to get to. If you want to further tune it, a simple rod and jet kit runs about 50 bucks and you only need to remove your air cleaner and a couple of screws with covers.
The intake should bolt right on to your sbc. If you plan to keep working on this engine or transplant your intake to another engine a worthwile investment would be some good allen head bolts for the intake. Sounds fancy but getting between those runners can be a pain in the a$$. The can also be reused at a later date. Use good gaskets and prep the surfaces very well. Toss out the thick rubber or cork end gaskets and use a good gasket maker for the front and rear of the intake. The rubber gasket will leak like a kindergarteners nose eventually. (In my experience any way.) Next you'll want a nice set of street headers to match that little bit of increased intake flow!
Old 01-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
Brento72
resU deretsigeR

As far as oil goes truckdude is right on track. Get some valve covers to match that new aluminum. Stock painted ones from a later sbc with fill holes and breathers will work and can be had for 10-15 bucks on e-bay.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #8
CoolRide

Wow thanks guys.
Sounds like it should be pretty simple swap, cool.

I'm just doing this to get it moving again, so I can drive it for a while. It had been sittin in the back of a shop since 1980 when I bought it for $550 drove it home, a bit sputtery but it did drive.

I just drug home a 65 327 today that I will rebuild and put it in her with a turbo 400.

Soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will do so if anyone cares to see it.

Again thank you guys

CoolRide
Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

We'd like to see it... we love pictures.
The cool thing about you getting that intake, and aftermarket valve covers, is the fact that they'll bolt onto the 327.
For valve covers, it it is in the budget, I recomend some nice cast alluminum ones. They are way less likely to start leaking.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #10
MrRico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
We'd like to see it... we love pictures.
The cool thing about you getting that intake, and aftermarket valve covers, is the fact that they'll bolt onto the 327.
For valve covers, it it is in the budget, I recomend some nice cast alluminum ones. They are way less likely to start leaking.
that stuff will fit any of your small blocks you upgrade to. The aluminum covers will be some what quieter also.

Check out what happened Today in history @
http://wildmopartruckcountry.com/for...php?board=59.0
Also visit www.mopartruckworld.com
MrRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:59 AM   #11
CoolRide

I have a set of 1958 Cal-custom finned valve covers I will put on later, no oil filler in them either, but I have a four deuce setup on the way for the 327 that has an oil filler tube.

I will try and post a few pictures, thanks.

CoolRide
Old 01-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #12
Brento72
resU deretsigeR

Longhorn has some good advice. Let me tell you from experience... SBC stuff is very interchangeable and if you buy good stuff for this engine you can move it to another and keep it. If you build another just move your pretty tin onto it and put the older stuff on the engine you sell.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
CoolRide

See if this works?

Old 01-15-2006, 02:00 AM   #14
CoolRide

Well I took off the old 2bbl intake today while the weather was good (35 and raining hahaha) Put my edelbrock 600 on my performer, new theromstat, and got my new intake gaskets "glued" to the engine. I will go back out tomorrow and bolt the new intake & 4bbl on.
Ps I dont know wtf is up with Napolen Dynamite in front of his ride, that is NOT what I posted.

Thanks again for the help. I may try and get a few pics up, but Im worried that Nap will just show up again, LOL.

CoolRide
Old 01-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

I know it is a little late to check, but do you still have access to the PCV tube? That is the one on the pass side at the back of the engine. Should have had a hose leading up to the back of the carb.

This is something that I knew to look for when I changed manifolds, but haven't gotten mine off and test fit my 4bbl intake to be sure.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #16
CoolRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundstaffpress
I know it is a little late to check, but do you still have access to the PCV tube? That is the one on the pass side at the back of the engine. Should have had a hose leading up to the back of the carb.

This is something that I knew to look for when I changed manifolds, but haven't gotten mine off and test fit my 4bbl intake to be sure.

Thanks! I was wondering what the hell that was, about a 3/4 inch nipple/hose fitting on the back of my block right behind my manafold. Nothing was hooked to it when I bought the truck. The same size hose was hooked to a pcv looking valve coming out of the back of the 2jet carb and about 18 inches of hose just came out the carb and draped back down twords the trans.

I do still have access the the fitting on the back of my block, but I'm not sactly sure what to hook up to it. My new edelbrock 600 has a fitting right in the middle of the front for a pcv, which I plugged on the napa guys advice, should I do something different?

CoolRide

Last edited by CoolRide; 01-16-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #17
truckdude239

the fitting on the back of the engine behind the manfoid mine had nothing hooked in to it i just caped it off my pvc vavle is hooked into the card i was going to use the vac port on the back of engine that i caped off for power brakes

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #18
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

I don't have a Eddie carb and haven't worked on one, so I'm not a lot of help. That nipple needs to be hooked up to a substantial vacuum source (just to make the hoses easy to deal with) and include a PCV valve somewhere. I would try the back of your carb like before. Should be a port there for vacuum brakes, or run it to the vacuum port on the back of your intake. Mine was not attached to anything when I bought the nova wagon. A vacuum leak like that may have contributed to your sputtery ride home.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #19
CoolRide

Quote:
I don't have a Eddie carb and haven't worked on one, so I'm not a lot of help. That nipple needs to be hooked up to a substantial vacuum source (just to make the hoses easy to deal with) and include a PCV valve somewhere. I would try the back of your carb like before. Should be a port there for vacuum brakes, or run it to the vacuum port on the back of your intake. Mine was not attached to anything when I bought the nova wagon. A vacuum leak like that may have contributed to your sputtery ride home.

Yes there is a plug in the back of my Edl carb that probably would work (brass).
It also has a pcv port in the front middle, I could un plug it (just a rubber cap) and run it around to the port on the back of my block?

I should have said earlier that it just has manual brakes too.

Thanks guys.

CoolRide
Old 01-17-2006, 01:37 AM   #20
jimfulco

You talking about this thing? It hooks to the PCV valve (similar to the pic below) that's screwed into the lower rear of the carb.

jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:00 AM   #21
carl609

If you are having problems with your linkage here is what I did. Hopefully you still have the stock metal rod. It should be threaded on one end and adjustable. Adjust it to the middle of the threads and put that in the pedal sid, by the firewall. Now mark the other end where it will go into the carb. put it in a vise and cut the rod about a half inch longer than your mark. Heat it up and bend a 90 into it, in the direction of your carb, then drill a small hole for a cotter pin or hair pin or whatever. Good luck.
carl609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:34 AM   #22
CoolRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
[IMG]

Here is a web pic of my carb (hopefully). The large plug in the middle is where I'm supose to hook up to a pcv, acording to the guys at napa lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/jimfulco/PCV_adapter_small.jpg[/IMG]

You talking about this thing? It hooks to the PCV valve (similar to the pic below) that's screwed into the lower rear of the carb.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #23
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

I'd just leave the front port plugged. Mine had a 90 degree brass fitting in the back of the carb. The PCV valve screwed right into that. That would keep all the hoses out of your way in the front of the engine.

If you decide to go with newer valve covers, I'd just put the PCV up front and close everything off in the back of the block. You just have to have one or the other.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #24
CoolRide

Quote:
I'd just leave the front port plugged. Mine had a 90 degree brass fitting in the back of the carb. The PCV valve screwed right into that. That would keep all the hoses out of your way in the front of the engine.

If you decide to go with newer valve covers, I'd just put the PCV up front and close everything off in the back of the block. You just have to have one or the other.

Right on, thanks you guys for the help.

CoolRide
Old 01-18-2006, 02:01 AM   #25
CoolRide

IT RUNS! IT RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNS! I got everything bolted up, plugged up, wired up, hooked up, etc today. And after a little prime in the new 4bbl she fired up! Seems to run pretty good. I still need to do some little things like set the timing, bolt on new water pump (unrelated but still needs one).

Will keep you updated and take a few pics. tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone on here that pointed me in the right direction!

CoolRide