The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
jcfoote60

Door experience needed

I have 2 CST doors that are cracking out around the upper door hinge mount. They closed and hung fine and I only noticed the splitting metal when I went to take them off. They are in very good shape otherwise, hardly any surface rust on the bottom and the skins are straight. Has anyone went ahead and fixed this kind of metal splitting and been successful? I'm not a welder unfortunately so I am kinda flyin blind on the best way to fix it or if I should even think about taking them to a welder who can do the work.

Should I save these doors? I am really looking for some opinions and experiences on this. Thanks

JC
jcfoote60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
69_hafton
Sleep-Deprived

Re: Door experience needed

I had my driver's side door fixed around the top hinge. It was cracked around 3 sides of the hinge and you could hear it when you opened the door. A few more months and that 4th side may have let go. I had some other projects that were more critical to get someone who could do about anything with a welder to come to the house and do it. I had the door off the truck when he arrived and he made it look easy. He also fixed a rear subframe mount in a car that I didn't know if it could even be done. I thought the door was rust free, but I did find some rust down in the corner where some Arizona dirt had settled and with Oklahoma rain had started it rusting. I cleaned out the dirt and POR15'd it, so I may be able to use the door when I go to get the truck painted. Someday...

BTW - if your doors are as bad as mine was, the amount of welding it took may change the alignment of the door some.
69_hafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Re: Door experience needed

Yes, I had to do that to one of my doors. My doors were perfect except for the passenger side. PO must have had a large wife hanging on the door. LOL! Just kidding. Drill the ends of the cracks to stop them from running and then just weld the cracks up. Simple as that.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote