The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
Billla
Account Suspended

Sunday front clip progress

Another pretty good day of painting - black DPLF this time for all the underhood stuff. More information on my Car Domain blog (link below), but one item worthy of note is that the black DPLF looks REALLY nice for underhood stuff...I felt the "eggshell" was very acceptable and it looked great! We'll have to see how it wears in the engine compartment over time.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2206636/3
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Re: Sunday front clip progress

Bill, Great progress! I agree the black epoxy is great for the frame and under hood and great to protect everything. You can use filler on it so that is good too. The only problem is sanding is a bit rough but I have not tried it yet wet sanding. The second coat usually hides all the filler that still shows up after the first coat. It looks like you got some "tiger stripes" in that hood. Go to Martin Sr. FAQ on paint gun adustment to cure that and then spray wet with plenty of overlap to prevent that. My kid is always giving me a verbal lashing every time I do that...LOL!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Billla
Account Suspended

Thanks, Mike - I think this coming weekend is the big assembly weekend.

I don't have any plans to surface or paint over the underhood stuff, so we'll see how it holds up as a primer/sealer. My focus is on a "driver" vs. show beast As I noted in my blog I can see how it's possible to spend MANY hours cleaning up these underhood stampings so that they're pretty. I did find a note online that PPG Deltron in the color "Mixing Black" with flattener is a great combo for that "eggshell" finish, so at some point I may look at topcoating - but I definitely won't use a surfacer underhood.

Thanks for the FAQ pointer! I definitely have some tiger stripes in the hood - I'm still learning that "fixed wrist" stance. I'm also just getting to the point you mention about a good, wet coat that flows properly - I've been spending a lot of time with big chunks of cardboard playing with pattern, material and pressure.

It's been an interesting learning process!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
RICHARD MORGAN

awsome web site!!! I'm doing the exact same thing to my front clip this week. what type of paint did you use on the hinges and other small parts? did you spray with a gun, brush, or aerosol? Everything looks awsome !!!
RICHARD MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Billla
Account Suspended

Thanks, Richard - I'm trying to keep track of everything...warts and all...as part of the learning curve.

I used PPG DPLF ; links to the paint information is in the blog a bit further down. The DP90LF is black, and when mixed with reducer it acts as a primer/sealer. I sprayed with an HVLP spray gun...which is the only way to go IMHO - this was my first spray gun experience and man, I'm done with bomb cans forever
Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
RICHARD MORGAN

Did you use a mini toouch up gun or a fullsize?
RICHARD MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD MORGAN
Did you use a mini toouch up gun or a fullsize?
I used a full-size gun, although I can definitely see the case for buying a smaller reservour and will be picking one up. I think one about 1/2 the size of the one I have now is about right.