The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
Jim_PA

Brake hose brackets; 68 vs 72

I did a manual disc brake swap on my 68 using all 72 parts. Everything was bolted up, and I just put a new set of brake lines on. It would seem that in 68, the brake hoses mounted to the back of the crossmember, but in 72 the hoses mount to the front of the crossmember.

I guess the best thing to to is make up some brackets, and weld them to the front of the crossmember? The only problem is I won't be sure exactly where to place the bracket.

Anyone else ever run into this?

I also found that the rear hose on the axle side of the brake hose mounts differently, but that wasn't really a big deal to overcome.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Brake hose brackets; 68 vs 72

This is something I ran into before when converting to discs.

The solution is to call ECE and get a pair of their conversion hoses made just for this. They will screw into the stock brake lines on the back side of the crossmember and connect to your new disc brake calipers on the other end.

This is much easier than running new brake lines to the front of the crossmember for normal disc hoses, especially since your lines already are new.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
This is something I ran into before when converting to discs.

The solution is to call ECE and get a pair of their conversion hoses made just for this. They will screw into the stock brake lines on the back side of the crossmember and connect to your new disc brake calipers on the other end.

This is much easier than running new brake lines to the front of the crossmember for normal disc hoses, especially since your lines already are new.
I already bought and installed the 72 brake lines and stainless brake hoses.... Being this far into it, I'm kinda stuck using all the 72 stuff I bought. At least I'm not the only one! --

Thanks
Old 03-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA
I already bought and installed the 72 brake lines and stainless brake hoses.... Being this far into it, I'm kinda stuck using all the 72 stuff I bought. At least I'm not the only one! --

Thanks
Even cheaper then, shift gears into plan B...

Call ECE and order a pair of the little tabs for the brake line/ hose junction. They have them with a bolt hole so you can drill a hole and bolt them to the front of the crossmember like a 72 model crossmember would have had.

I got a pair of them last year from ECE.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Even cheaper then, shift gears into plan B...

Call ECE and order a pair of the little tabs for the brake line/ hose junction. They have them with a bolt hole so you can drill a hole and bolt them to the front of the crossmember like a 72 model crossmember would have had.

I got a pair of them last year from ECE.
Oh -- awesome! never thought they'd have that deep of a product line... Thanks a bunch! --