The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
hoser
Account Suspended

New Exhaust For 72 GMC Please help.

My 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 350 auto trans truck needs a new exhaust, it has the factory ram manifolds and some sort of after market dual exhaust.

Any suggestions for a replacement at a reasonable cost.

I am not opposed to installing headers but really dont like a lot of noise, I was thinking a full exhaust including a new cross over pipe.

All suggestions welcome just keep it real , no $600.00 space age coated headers please.

Please include links if you can.

Thanks in advance
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
mrein3

Re: New Exhaust For 72 GMC Please help.

Simple.
LMC.
Everybody on this board likes to badmouth LMC but I've had good luck with using them.

They offer a COMPLETE dual exhaust system in their catalog. It has been a while but I think it is just under $200 for a complete kit at your door step. The kit is made by a company here in Minnesota and drop shipped to you through LMC.

I ordered it for my 4x4 more than 4 years ago. The "kit" contained ALMOST everything I needed. I did have to use universal exhaust hangers on the side that didn't have exhaust hangers. If you have a truck that was a factory dual exhaust truck you won't have to do that.

Since your truck is a 4x4 you can slide under there and do all the work on the ground with no problems.

As usual, I'll add:
I don't work for LMC. I'm just a satisfied customer.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

The first exhaust I put on Maych I did it myself. It was a single exhaust system with cross over and standard muffler. The parts alone cost me $240.00 at a local parts store. And because I clamped it together rather than weld it leaked like a sieve.

When that exhaust blew up about a year later (long story) I had a new dual exhaust system put on at a local muffler shop and the total bill only came to $270.95.

Moral - check with a local muffler shop before you decide.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
pound41

I have the LMC system on both my blazers one dumps out the back and one on the sides I have had the 1st on for 8yrs sounds good cannot touch them for the price
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

LMC's kit is a good cheap option, I checked a couple of years ago in a local muffler shop because I wanted to replace the dual exhaust in a longbed I got for $400 and they wanted $700 !!! and I still had to provide my own mufflers@! needless to say I drove that pos with a rusted out exhaust for a while

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:31 AM   #6
4x4Poet

Here's the link for the exhaust mfr in Minn that LMC sources:
http://www.heartthrobexhaustinc.com/

The mufflers that come with LMC's reasonably priced kits suck, IMO. Heartthrob sells direct, so one can purchase a dual exhaust system from Heartthrob for our trucks but leave out the mufflers. Then you can add your prefered mufflers to the excellent, mandrel-bent, aluminized pipes Heartthrob makes. I'm not sure of the price difference over LMC's kit with mufflers.

LMC also now sells Magnaflow SS dual exhaust kits for ~$500.