The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Headlight / seatbelt buzzer question

Hey guys!

I finally got my harness together enough that I could jumper a few wires, and get some power running through everything to test it all

2 problems I've encountered so far -- First is my headlight / seatbelt buzzer.

The thing appears to do its job correctly, if the seatbelt wire is grounded when you turn the ignition on, it buzzes for 5 seconds or so then turns itself off, or turns off as soon as you un-ground the seatbelt wire. If you have the headlights on, and turn the ignition off, the buzzer sounds until you turn the lights off, then it shuts up immediately.

However, no matter if the lights are on or off, or if the seatbelt wire is grounded or not, the buzzer always gives off a quick buzz when you turn the ignition off, and sometimes it will buzz for about 10 seconds after turning the ignition off. I tested to see if there was residual energy in the dash light wire that runs to the buzzer, and made sure that everything was hooked up properly, but it still always gives that quick buzz when you turn the ignition off, and occasionally the extended buzz.

I don't mind the quick buzz so much, but my buzzer is loud and annoying, so it would drive me bonkers if it buzzes for a long time after turning the ignition off...

The ignition does not have a key buzzer, you can remove the key immediately after turning it off, and it continues to buzz. You can also ground / unground the seatbelt wire, or turn the headlights on then off, and it continues buzzing till it decides it has buzzed long enough, lol

Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong with it? I'd hate to have to replace it, I hardwired it into my harness, and it'd be a pain to change out now...

Second problem is just that my heater fan doesn't seem to run, but I imagine that is due to me having my truck's harness connected to the battery through a number of jumpers in the junction block on the firewall, lol

PS -- If I get an engine harness and a chip for my TPI -- The truck could be running in the next few days, woohoo!!