The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
FARMTRUCK

Need advice-looking at project truck

Hi guys-I am a former board member and have been away for a while as I spent several years restoring a 1971 Z-28. That car is now gone and I am looking at possibly getting back into the truck world. I know of a 1968 swb stepside that is for sale and would like some input about how much it's worth. The skinny is that t is completely in pieces, to the point that the frame is hanging on a wall. The owner has already media blasted and por15'd the frame, and also has been notched for extra lowering. (I would'n't actually care about that, I'd go 2 & 3 with spindles & springs.) The truck would need no sheet metal work at all. The cab, bed and front clip are rock solid. Bed wood is solid, just needs planing & refinishing. Strips and cross sills are all perfect. No seat, or drivetrain would be included. That's fine for me as I want to do a 350 with AFR heads, blah, blah blah, and a TKO-600 trans. The rearend I think I could find here in new England, or worst case go with a Mosier unit. The hard part is to assign a dollar value to this truck. It needs stripping and boarding for sure before paint, as well as some fairly major purchases to complete. (Drivetrain, seats, trailing arms, other misc stuff) The thing is, to find any rust free truck in Maine is a rare thing, so that is worth something. What do you think this is worth?
Looks like GMCPAULS will have some more business from me again soon....J.R.

P.S. Here are a few pics of my first truck, aka FARMTRUCK
Name:  Rear Under.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  RF Engine.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  RS View.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  36.9 KB

Last edited by FARMTRUCK; 04-02-2006 at 02:16 PM.
FARMTRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Need advice-looking at project truck

Looks like it would be worth between $5000 to $8000, hard to tell without seing it in person.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
davido

that looks like the 69 for sale down the street from me, he was asking 5750.00 with a 6 and 3spd, same down to the wheels too.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
71swb4x4

I would say $1000 to $2000 depending on condition of everything.
I don't think the people that posted about me realize that it is not the truck in the pictures.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

going back and reading your post I see that the truck in the pictures isn't the one your asking about.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
FARMTRUCK

Quote:
going back and reading your post I see that the truck in the pictures isn't the one your asking about.
I feel better now, that scared the crap out of me at first. I thought there might be confusion because of my including pictures of my old truck. Sorry about that. I only included the pictures to garnish some type of credibility from you all about my ability to build a truck. It has been quite a while since I consistantly posted here, and when I was I learned a great deal from board members, so I respect all of your opinions. I was thinking no more than $2000 for the project described above. Even that might be high to some people, but the fact that all the usual problem areas are so clean & dry is worth something up here.
For what it's worth, the green '69 pictured sold for $10,000 in Maine 3 years ago, then had a disc brake kit installed (From GMCPAULS of course) and sold for $12,500 a year later. I still see the truck occasionally, which is why I am so tempted to do another one now....J.R.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
northcountry67

I would say that if you can get it for $2000 it would be a great deal considering the rust free condition of it. We all know that rust repair is the most costly/time consuming part of a restoration project. Not to mention the frame has been blasted and painted. By the time I had my truck to that level, I had about $2200 in parts and a sh*t load of labor in it.
northcountry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
jc

id say up to 2,000 being in the nor east, i wouldnt hesitate if i were in the market

it could be parted for more $$ from nj to maine.
good luck
1967 c-10 lwb (THE FARMERS DAUGHTER)
jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
FARMTRUCK

Thanks guys for the replies. You all are right in the same ball park I was thinking. I have to temper my enthusiasm a bit until I am able to sell the '93 pictured below. That was going to be my next project after I sold the '71-Z, but after driving it around, I just decided I like the old stuff too much. The owner of the '68 I described and I are actually trying to work out a swap plus cash involving the '68 and my '93. We really needed to establish a dollar figure for the '68 first though, so I appreciate all the responses. Thanks again....J.R.
Name:  HPIM0765.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  32.0 KB

Last edited by FARMTRUCK; 04-02-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

HEY!!!! Your a fellow Mainer, too. Sweet.....
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote