The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
HotRod73

Engine Rebuild

I've got a 1973 Chevrolet C20 with 350/350 i got it from my grandfather. It has 91k original miles but the transmission was rebuilt about 4k miles ago. The motor runs great and starts up with half a turn of the key. It does have a few oil leaks though and im wanting to use as a daily driver and want it to be tip top condition drivetrain wise... ive decided to freshen up the motor even though it runs good.... Now for the questions...
Do you guys know any good/cheap engine rebuild kits somewhere?

Would you keep it stock bore or bore it over?

Would I need to use hydrolic cam and lifters or mechanical?

Are dished or flat top pistons better?

what is a good sized cam that i can use that wont require high stall that is
also decent on fuel and has a slight noticeable lope at idle?

I'm really wanting to put a edelbrock intake and carburator on it, new pistons, rings, all new gaskets a cam and i guess since im doing a cam ide need to replace the lifters and springs as well as rocker arms... now on rocker arms do i use regular ones or roller rockers?

With new pistons and rings do i need to get new rods or can i just replace the bearings? (motor doesnt knock or anything)

would i have to replace my crank even though it runs good or just have a machine shop turn it? i think thats what its called?

I'm all new to this sorry for all questions just trying to decide how to do this, the right way i already got someone to install it all for me.
HotRod73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
1983shorty

Re: Engine Rebuild

i just got done with the rebuild on my 350. another 2 hours of work left to get it fired up for the first time. new everything including a new eagle crank to replace the stocker that was too worn to fix. i bought my kit from northern auto parts. you can get a full kit for $169 plus shipping. you can upgrade any part in the kit for more $$. gives you EVERYTHING. i opted to go with one of there street performance kits. $350 including shipping. heres the link.
http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...uctModelId=380
1983shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
HotRod73

Re: Engine Rebuild

so its $169 for master kit but the street performance has same stuff just better for 350 w/shipping? i may go with this and add a edelbrock intake/carb later thanks
HotRod73 is offline   Reply With Quote