The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
bluex

Removing some leafs

My truck is a heavy half so it has around 10-12 springs in the leaf pack. Its riding really rough now and it also sits higher in the back than it did.

How many leaves can I remove and it still be safe? If I break the center pin what can I use to replace it?

Regular trucks had 5 right? I'm either gonna do this or switch to some shortbed springs if I can find them. This will probably be easier though.

Thanks
Paul
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: Removing some leafs

You should have eight leafs in back...I don't believe you'll have 10-12.

I am not sure how many you can safely remove, but I would take out 2 on each side for starters...leave the overload in if you plan to haul or two.

While you have the leafs apart, just go to your local 4wd shop (or maybe an possible auto parts store), and get two new pins and nuts...won't cost you more than $5 tops.

When you reassemble, clamp the leafs together with a C-clamp...enough to get the pin started...then tighten it down a bit, then tighten the nut. Repeat these steps until the leafs are bolted down tight. Do not rely on the pin and nut only to tighten the leafs down...you will wreck the pin and you'll have to start all over.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
bluex

It could be 8, I havent looked in awhile. I just know it was a bunch.

I'll look for the new pins, anyone have a set of shortbed leafs they want to get rid of????

Paul
Old 04-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Keep in mind, if you switch to lighter duty leafs (not swb leafs as you refer to them), you will need to move your rear hanger forward...the HD and standard leafs are different lengths.

Also, shortbeds have HD leafs as well, my 73 swb has 8 leafs.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
C&C Chevy

My 87 swb had 8 springs. I took out 3 springs to level the truck out. It's been so long that I can't remember which 3 I took out.

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:48 AM   #6
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

If you have a 8 leaf spring pack, I'd 'bably leave the two topmost leafs in and remove every other leaf (i.e. take out the 3rd, 5th and 7th leafs.) You'll end up with a 5 leaf spring pack.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:51 AM   #7
evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
If you have a 8 leaf spring pack, I'd 'bably leave the two topmost leafs in and remove every other leaf (i.e. take out the 3rd, 5th and 7th leafs.) You'll end up with a 5 leaf spring pack.
Will that affect the ride height? I've got HD leafs and I'm thinking that when I install the flip kit the extra leafs will drop the back end lower than the front. If I take out some of the leafs to increase ride height (after the flip kit is installed) will they just end up sagging more than they did with 8 leafs and leave me with the same height I would have had if I had left everything alone?
Old 04-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan
Will that affect the ride height? I've got HD leafs and I'm thinking that when I install the flip kit the extra leafs will drop the back end lower than the front. If I take out some of the leafs to increase ride height (after the flip kit is installed) will they just end up sagging more than they did with 8 leafs and leave me with the same height I would have had if I had left everything alone?
For bluex, removing 3 of the 8 leafs in the spring pack will lower the rear 'bout the thickness of 3 leafs. I wouldn't expect the rear to sag noticeable with the removal of the leafs. (Although, of course, the load capacity would be less and sagging would be noticeable under a load.) In your case, once you install the flip kit, removing leafs will not effect the absolute ride height of the rear. The truck will sit at the same height from the ground regardless of the leafs. I would also think that sagging would be negligible. If you're not too concern with the reduced load capacity, removing a few leafs could leave the truck riding softer and smoother. The full drop of the flip kit is basically the distance from the top of the leaf pack to the bottom of the axle tube. You could compare that measurement with your projected front drop (and the rake the truck has) to see if you like the stance. Also, by measuring distance between the bottom of the frame rail and the top of the spring pack less the diameter of the axle tube (~3"), you get an idea how much distance you'll have once the flip kit is installed. (A c-notch may or may not be needed.)

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex
If I break the center pin what can I use to replace it?
You can replace the center pins with Allen head cap bolts and locking nuts of the same size. Works great and makes it easier to tighten them up.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma
You can replace the center pins with Allen head cap bolts and locking nuts of the same size. Works great and makes it easier to tighten them up.
Yep, that works. Another middle of the night solution is to use the correct length bolt and chuck it up thread first in a drill press. With the bolt spinning, use a grinder to shave the head down till it's the correct size. It works just fine when your in a bind and you want your truck back together by morning...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
bluex

Great ideas on the center pin guys.

Thanks for the help on which leaves to remove as well. I'm not worried about load capacity, my truck dosent do any heavy hauling anymore. It used to though and it never broke a sweat. I"m more concerned with a softer ride and leveling the truck out. On these concrete highways down here the thing is beating me to death. I look like I'm riding a trampoline. I think swapping the air shocks out for some regular gas ones in the rear would probably help as well.

I know about moving the sping hangers forward for the shorter leaves. I was thinking of this as well b/c then I could run a bumper. People sure like to tailgate here as well and I would like to keep my bed nice as it only has one very small dent in it.

Last edited by bluex; 04-25-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex
I know about moving the sping hangers forward for the shorter leaves. I was thinking of this as well b/c then I could run a bumper. People sure like to tailgate here as well and I would like to keep my bed nice as it only has one very small dent in it.
I am confused, you can run a bumper on your truck no matter what length leafs you use.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
bluex

Not after I cut it down from a long bed with the long leaves. I only have like 3" of frame off the end of the shackles. There is no room to bolt a bumper up.....
Old 04-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #14
bigblock73
yeller

OK, so how come my short bed has the long leafs in back and have a bumper to boot? Aren't the short bed and long bed frames the same from the rear wheel wells back? The beds appear to be at least. Here are a couple pics of my frame...you can see I too have little frame beyond the leafs in back.

Last edited by bigblock73; 04-29-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
bluex

Thats what mine looks like. I just dont know where the brackets would go. The bumper I had on it would not go back on b/c I had no room to put the brackets. It was an aftermarket (I suppose) step bumper though.