The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
74Chevy74

Need some advice two tone or tri tone!

OK guys and gals just looking for some opinions/advice. My truck is currently tri tone blue & white, I wanted to ditch the rear cab trim cause I didn't like it, but I really like the white roof so I just wanted to hear from all you. The orange truck is for reference....
Attached Images

74Chevy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
74Chevy74

Re: Need some advice two tone or tri tone!

I guess I should add no I'm not shaving the moldings, or anything else. I'm just going to have it lay'd out on some 20" torque thrusts. If anyone has good pics of two ot tri tone trucks, post them up!

Last edited by 74Chevy74; 04-26-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

If you are going to ditch the cab band, then I would paint the roof blue. If not, paint it white. I think it would look not so good if the paint was broken without the cab band. I would also fill the seam which ever color you use.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
EJC78
No Life Like Low Life

I agree with Jonboy if your going to ditch the cab molding it might look funny to paint the roof white. The molding does a real good job of hideing the paint line besides the molding also does a good job on saving you a lot of body work, personally it took me about 4 hour to get the rear cab straight.
1965 Buick Riviera GS
2011 GMC Sierra Denali
EJC78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
74Chevy74

thanks for the input, I guess I should have worded things different, what do you all like better? white roof or blue roof? The white roof to me gives it more old school flavor for sure!
Old 04-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
EJC78
No Life Like Low Life

White roof is definatly nicer it gives it a classier look.
1965 Buick Riviera GS
2011 GMC Sierra Denali
EJC78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Yeah, I guess. I would do the roof blue, if it was me. And I would smooth the cab seam. I like to do little things that appear to be stock, unless you know what you are looking for. I would try to find a sport bumper for the rear, too.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
74Chevy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy
Yeah, I guess. I would do the roof blue, if it was me. And I would smooth the cab seam. I like to do little things that appear to be stock, unless you know what you are looking for. I would try to find a sport bumper for the rear, too.

I have never heard of a sport bumper? Are you talking about the one that comes on blazers? I'm getting one of those for sure, I had one of the huge one's that weighed about 100 pounds! If I'm wrong send me a pic of what your talking about.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Chevy74
I have never heard of a sport bumper? Are you talking about the one that comes on blazers? I'm getting one of those for sure, I had one of the huge one's that weighed about 100 pounds! If I'm wrong send me a pic of what your talking about.
No, that's exactly what I meant. That will be a clean looking truck when you get done. I have always been a fan of a stock appearing vehicle, either lifted or slammed, like it came from the factory that way. When I was in college, I put a TPI engine in my '81 El Camino, and used all factory parts. It looked like it was made for the car. The only thing I used that wasn't OEM was the stereo and the wheels. I really miss that car.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
thundertiger25

My truck is currently is currently tri tone brown and tan but eventually I am gonna get it painted two tone blue and black. I want to paint the roof blue and keep all the trim. Here's some current pics cuz u said if you have any good pics the post em. :P

Old 04-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

I agree. A white roof has a classy look to it. You could go with a white roof and go with some complementary pinstriping to make the transition between the white and blue colors. To tie it all together, you may have to ditch the side molding and apply the same pinstriping in place of it for the white/blue transition on the sides. The 'right' bands of striping would make it look really smooth. Here's a few pics of typical paint schemes, including Zumo's rendition.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
74Chevy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
I agree. A white roof has a classy look to it. You could go with a white roof and go with some complementary pinstriping to make the transition between the white and blue colors. To tie it all together, you may have to ditch the side molding and apply the same pinstriping in place of it for the white/blue transition on the sides. The 'right' bands of striping would make it look really smooth. Here's a few pics of typical paint schemes, including Zumo's rendition.
I have that same pic of this blue&white truck on my computer, is this the same truck in both pics but with different wheels? Is this truck still around? anyone know the guy?

I'm going to do a white roof with the stock band, thanks for all the input. I love this forum for that reason!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:57 AM   #13
boxrodz

Quote:
I have that same pic of this blue&white truck on my computer, is this the same truck in both pics but with different wheels? Is this truck still around? anyone know the guy?
Yes, it is the same truck with different set of wheels. Dan Velltkamp owner of the Auto-B Craft in Long Beach, CA owns this truck. Truckin did a feature on his truck in the June 2003.

Quote:
I'm going to do a white roof with the stock band, thanks for all the input. I love this forum for that reason!
Good Choice.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
Old 04-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #14
95KYsahara

i really like the tri tone
95KYsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #15
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I like both the tri-tone and solid roof color. I personally am not a fan of the wide trim band these years use (just my $.02). If you want to keep the tri-tone, but not the band, what about a nice custom pinstripe banding to provide the seperation. I was thinking about that with my old 82, but never got around to it.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 04-28-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:36 PM   #16
Russell
Professional Grade

I haven't got much for advice, but I must say, that is a fine looking truck!

Here is a pic of mine when she was still a 2wd 3/4 ton -- looks like your truck's bigger brother
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2006, 11:43 PM   #17
84slopwaggin

heres another example of of two tone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #18
bluex

Anyone have a pic of a white roof truck with shaved drip rails? I'm thinking of doing a white roof too, but I dont think it will look right with the drip rails shaved???
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #19
74Chevy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex
Anyone have a pic of a white roof truck with shaved drip rails? I'm thinking of doing a white roof too, but I dont think it will look right with the drip rails shaved???
Good question bluex I'm actually shaving drip rails too, so I wonder how this will look? I think it my have to have drip rails to look right. I wonder if you could shave the holes, and if it looked bad you could just use good double sided foam tape like what they use on new cars for emblems to put it back on? Is this a stupid idea? or maybe even epoxy that won't ruin the paint? or just redrill them!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
copperbobber

Thumbs up Re: Need some advice two tone or tri tone!

I think it would look good with some pin striping to bust the lines up but also pull it all together. I wonder what it would look like to paint the tops of the doors white too to match the top, kinda like a 55 bel air or something. Kinda OT but how much is your truck lowered. It sits perfect, thats exactly what i'm lookin for.
copperbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #21
Chevrolet4x4s

Heres some pics of mine

What is your drop...perfect stance .....may have to drop one to that stance or similar if i ever have a 2 wheel drive
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:14 AM   #22
boxrodz

Quote:
Quote:
Good question bluex I'm actually shaving drip rails too, so I wonder how this will look? I think it my have to have drip rails to look right. I wonder if you could shave the holes, and if it looked bad you could just use good double sided foam tape like what they use on new cars for emblems to put it back on? Is this a stupid idea? or maybe even epoxy that won't ruin the paint? or just redrill them!
I would guess a different color on the roof without drip rails would look good if you carry the color into the door jam to 'hide' the transition.

Automotive double-sided tape may work. But, in time, if it's left on too long it may discolor the paint when you remove the drip rails.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:12 AM   #23
bluex

I was thinking of painting the jams white too, but I was hoping for pics. I dont want to be the gunnia pig. If I ever get ready for paint, I dont want to do it twice.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 AM   #24
boxrodz

Quote:
I was thinking of painting the jams white too, but I was hoping for pics. I dont want to be the gunnia pig...
Yeah, I looked around, but I couldn't find any pics. I don't think I've ever seen one.
Don't think guinea pig... think trailblazer.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #25
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
Yeah, I looked around, but I couldn't find any pics. I don't think I've ever seen one.
Don't think guinea pig... think trailblazer.
Ya, but if it looks like crap, then your a moron.....

I'm probably about 5 yrs away from paint though. Right now I just drive it a few times a month and the rest of the time it sits outside rusting away. I've got to get a shop built soon so I can start or I wont have a truck left.