The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
rkarr

Need ideas: Filler loading sandpaper

Hi guys, I need help..
I'm finished with the chassis, and I'm on to the bodywork.. I'm doing the firewall so I can get the cab back onto the frame to fit panels, etc...

I've got issues with the filler loading my sandpaper almost immediately while block sanding... Very frustrating.. Any ideas to help keep the paper clean so it'll continue to cut?

I'm using evercoat lightweight filler...
Thanks for the help.
Shortened frame for SWB, ECE 4-6 drop. ECE SS tank. All new ECE suspension. Rebuilt 12 bolt 3:73 with Eaton Posi. Front and rear disc brakes. Ramjet 350 and 700r-4 trans.
20" Centerline wheels with Kumho 295/45/20 tires (I hope they fit).
Progress pics: http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...uck/?start=all
----------------
Seriously... It's nothing a large dose of cash can't fix... Right? After all, I can't take it with me when I go... Just gotta have enough to get there!!!
rkarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Sweet72

Re: Need ideas: Filler loading sandpaper

I've used evercoat lightweight filler and blocked it out with aluminum oxide paper . Start with 80 grit and work your way down to 220. Is the filler hard enough or are you sanding it while it's still gummy?
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Start with 40 grit while your filler is "tacky" to shape your bodywork quickly before it dries completely. Let it finish hardening and then sand some more with 40 grit and then add another coat and block that with 80 grit first again while tacky and work the area again after hardened. Try to finish your bodyfiller with 180 before you primer if possible. Blow your paper off with a blower and compressed air to keep your paper clean. Good luck.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
rkarr

Thanks for the input!

I ran the "cheese-grater" over it while it was still somewhat soft to shape it, but this has been sitting overnight and isn't sticky at all. I'm quite sure it's fully cured....
It doesn't seem to matter if I use 40 grit, 80, 120, etc., it still just loads up the paper immediately... I was wondering if anybody had any tricky "lubrication" ideas to help the paper last a bit longer. I thought I saw somewhere that someone was using bar soap on sandpaper, but I doubt it was for this application..
Any other ideas guys?
Thanks again.
Shortened frame for SWB, ECE 4-6 drop. ECE SS tank. All new ECE suspension. Rebuilt 12 bolt 3:73 with Eaton Posi. Front and rear disc brakes. Ramjet 350 and 700r-4 trans.
----------------
Seriously... It's nothing a large dose of cash can't fix... Right? After all, I can't take it with me when I go... Just gotta have enough to get there!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
TugOwar

Is it possible youre not mixing in enough hardener? Maybe even though it is fully cured it's not as hard as it should be. Just a thought.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
gator2511

Use wet or dry paper and dip it often in a bucket with some water and a little dish soap in it and it will stay cleaner longer.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
Sweet72

Are you stirring the filler in the can to mix all the polyester resin in? If it sets awhile the resin comes to the top and will load up your paper. Just an idea, try some talc or baby powder on the paper before you use it and blow off like 72CSTC5 says...but I wouldn't use bar soap as it may leave a residue that won't be easy to remove for priming. I don't think wet sanding is something I'd do on filler, it may absorb water and cause future problems with your paint job, but what do I know.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.

Last edited by Sweet72; 05-21-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
rkarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72
Are you stirring the filler in the can to mix all the polyester resin in? If it sets awhile the resin comes to the top and will load up your paper. Just an idea, try some talc or baby powder on the paper before you use it and blow off like 72CSTC5 says...but I wouldn't use bar soap as it may leave a residue that won't be easy to remove for priming. I don't think wet sanding is something I'd do on filler, it may absorb water and cause future problems with your paint job, but what do I know.
This is likely the problem.. I didn't stir the can beforehand.
Thanks again for all the help!!!

While I can't wait to have this truck on the road and be able to say I did it all, I'm beginning to wonder if the right tool for bodywork may be a check!
----------------
Old 05-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Do not wet sand your bodywork, especially if you apply it over bare metal. The water will rust the metal underneath and come back to haunt you later. The technique I was telling you to sand the filler while it was still tacky was to cut it quickly just like you would with a cheese grater, however, most cheese graters dig too deep in to the filler and are hard to block bodywork smooth with. Try my method and you will see how fast you can do bodywork and how flat you get it. I am only 34 but have shown several older bodymen that work for me this technique and love it now. Much faster and flatter to start with.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:31 AM   #10
Southpa

I've done work on quite a few guitars , a few cars and a few large yachts. You sure learn a lot of filling, sanding and priming tricks along the way. There are a few reasons why your paper is loading up and a few ways to remedy the situation.

Give the filler what we call in guitar building world "the fingernail test". If you can dent the surface with minimum pressure using your fingernail then its not ripe yet. ie. not ready for sanding. It may seem ready because its dry but it has to be cured to get the best results. If laid down thick you have to expect longer curing time.

Another reason for material loading on your paper is the actual sanding method(s) being used. Pressing too hard and moving too fast causes heat from friction. This will soften the finish and cause it to stick to the paper like s**t to a blanket. I'm sure you guys who have changed a baby before know what I'm talkin about. Let the paper do the work. Use less pressure and take your time. This is one of the most important parts of a good paint job anyway.

The idea behind wetsanding is to keep the heat down and carry the sanded material away. Paper lasts much longer and its a more effective method but it has its applications. As mentioned, not applicable here. I've had the odd problem with wetsanding a clearcoat on a maple or mahogany guitar. Water can seep into screwholes and swell the wood if I'm not careful. Its best for totally sealed surfaces.

Go buy a cheap 2" paintprush with those plastic bristles and cut the bristles down to about 1" long. This is a handy tool for cleaning your sandpaper now and then. Sometimes you can't avoid loading but at least you can minimize it. Its a real drag to see those striations in your finish because you weren't paying attention.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 05-22-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:44 AM   #11
shifty
Questionable

just FYI - the soap in sandpaper trick works really well with aluminum, but never heard of anyone using it on anything else but a soft metal.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:41 AM   #12
local13hutch

I use a wire brush to clean my paper. Just be carefull. But it sounds like there is more going on here than just loading up your sand paper.. ''Good Luck''....IT sounds like the other members have pin-pointed the problem.....
72 3/4 ton sub 4x4
61 morris minor pickup, chevy 4.3 v6
03 escalade, 24" momo's wifes
96 2wd 2door tahoe
67 2wd suburban
72 4wd k5 99 vortec 14bolt/d60 205/th400- 72 4wd crewcab 1 ton sb cummins allison -2012 2ss camaro black hard top- 8 yamaha quads- 05 4wd one ton duramax dually, family limo.
local13hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
gator2511

I never had any problem with the water and wet sanding. It might have something to to with the fact I was working on Corvettes.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

I was wondering if you could use a "stearated" sandpaper. I use it for woodworking for sanding in between finishes to "level it out" before I apply the next coat. It doesn't load-up as quickly as regular sandpaper. I dunno if that would work...just a thought.
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #15
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

I take a cloth with laquer thinner on it, and wipe the bondo down quickly before I start to sand it. This seems to get rid of the tackyness that was loading my paper down. One of those old timer tricks that a local painter told me. Don't know if it will work for everyone, but it did for me....