The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
shelby987

Satisfaction with your parts store

Not sure how to start a poll, so I will just post this as a general discussion thread.
How does everyone feel about their local (favorite.....or least favorite) parts store......I have the store I like, which unfortunately doesn't seem to have access to the parts I need on a regular basis, and the parts store I HATE, that seems to have the parts I need, or can at least order them.......does anyone ever want to bang their head against the wall when you go to the store to purchase lug nuts.....and they ask if you have an automatic or manual transmission......or what size is your engine!!!! I know GM makes some pretty weird decisions, but I don't think they have ever changed the lug nut sizes based off of your engine or transmission selection.
1993 Olds. Cutlass Ciera Wagon Traded 2006
2003 Saturn L200 w/5pd. D/D
My list spans 5 decades with One common thread.....GM!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Satisfaction with your parts store

I think we are pretty lucky in this town. If they don't have what I need and I need it that day, they will call the other parts stores in town and see if they can find it. If they do they tell them to hold it for me and I go down and buy it from them.
The store that I frequent the most can get parts that they don't have by 7:00am the next morning as long as I order by 5:00pm, so I rarely have them call the other parts stores, but it's a good option to have. It saves me the trouble of driving across town trying to figure out who has the parts.
All four of our parts stores seem to have some knowledgable people, but each store has a couple behind the counter too, so you are OK as long as you know who to avoid.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
shelby987

back home in VT, I used to frequent a basic parts store, where the guys behind the counter consulted a book for parts.......and they knew what they were talking about, I have been going to that store since before I could drive.....and I miss that, people who knew what they were selling.....wether the computer told them it was the right part or not........I feel like 90% of the people I meet at my local parts stores NOW rarely actually touch vehicles themselves......it makes me lose a little bit of respect for these people......there was a time when I would go to these stores after work, and felt like people were looking down on me because of my work cloths, but now I just feel sad because unforthunately I know more than the guy behind the counter.

Last edited by shelby987; 06-14-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
TugOwar

This is a depressing subject for me. Gone are the days of the Mom-n-Pop parts store that had been in business for decades, knew their customers by name and chances are knew what vehicle(s) they owned. Had a gigantic stock of parts. They recognised an A-frame bushing or or brake shoe retainer spring when you put it on the counter and if you said starter shim they knew what that meant, and had it in stock. They didn't ask useless questions - I need fuzzy dice for my rearview- "make, model and year?"

If you're ever through Hartwell Georgia, check out Holmes Oil Company and see what a real parts store is like.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
89 crew

It doesn't matter what the name on the store is! The store is only as good as the man standing behind the counter. I'm lucky enough to know what I believe to be the last deceint parts man in Kansas city. The only trick is you can't let ANYONE else in the store get your parts! Or they will screw it up! If you really want to go totally nuts try letting the others find parts for my 89 crew cab. They can't accept that it is the square style, and none of the parts from the round trucks will fit!
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
kansas city cheyenne
Rebuilding 1 at a time

I think you hit the nail on the head. Its not the store, its the people working there. Luckily my father runs a parts store and he has been building these trucks since they came out. But alot of these stores only allow their employees to be paid minimum wage, so you get what you pay for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 crew
It doesn't matter what the name on the store is! The store is only as good as the man standing behind the counter. I'm lucky enough to know what I believe to be the last deceint parts man in Kansas city. The only trick is you can't let ANYONE else in the store get your parts! Or they will screw it up! If you really want to go totally nuts try letting the others find parts for my 89 crew cab. They can't accept that it is the square style, and none of the parts from the round trucks will fit!
Factory ps, pb, air
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=101_0059.jpg

66 Nova SS L-79
m21
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=101_0042.jpg
kansas city cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 AM   #7
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I still have a friendly local mom & pop store. He's surviving, but I don't know for how long. Down the street there is now 3 box stores.

I ended up needing some parts Sunday, when my store is closed. Went to azone looking for a coil and ballast resistor. Picked up an MSD coil off the display, asked about the resistor. The clerk asked what it was for, I looked at him and said it wouldn't be on his computer (52 Chevy didn't have a ballast resistor). He shocked me when he said he only had them for a dodge. He got the number from a search, went back and got one.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:50 AM   #8
89 crew

KC Cheyenne, Where's your dad's store at? I wouldn't mind having a backup just in case my parts man goes on vacation again!
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #9
kansas city cheyenne
Rebuilding 1 at a time

Its at wichita so its kind of a long drive, haha. But its worth it because you always know what your getting and you always get the right stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 crew
KC Cheyenne, Where's your dad's store at? I wouldn't mind having a backup just in case my parts man goes on vacation again!
Factory ps, pb, air
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=101_0059.jpg

66 Nova SS L-79
m21
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=101_0042.jpg
kansas city cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
shelby987

This is a depressing subject......I have a similar issue with hardware stores.....ever try finding fine threaded standard bolts, grade 8 hardware, or a pin and nut for a cable linkage at a box store....home depot is great when you need a weed wacker at 10pm on a sunday....but other than that I always try to support the local stores with knowledgable people behind the counter.....it may cost a little more, but when its gone I won't be able to buy it at all!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Our local Napa's are pretty good if you get the right countermen, but thats about it. VIP is just a joke, and we never use Carquest. The speed shop around here is excellent, though. They have a pretty good selection of stuff, it's fairly reasonable prices, and the guys know their sh*t. They knew about GMC V6's . Imagine that?
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #12
sdmahr

My experiences in 3 states at all kinds of different parts stores over the last six years dealing with my truck have all been about the same. Every now and then I get somebody interested in what I'm doing, but they still have a tendency to stand behind that darn computer and ask me whether I have air or not ! I love the advice on what motor oil to use, or when I carry a belt in and say "I need one of these" and rather than read the number that is PRINTED on the belt to determine size, they start asking questions about what color the truck is !

All in all, it's a sign of the times. No REAL car guys left behind the counter anymore. Look up a number, go see if you have the part, make the customer wait to check out, and drill em' deep if they have to bring it back because they don't have the receipt !
sdmahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Hey, I'm one of those guy's behind the counter!! Been at it for a few years now, it's nice having access to parts!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
tnblazerk5
User #12137

i was at a local adv store a while back and told the dude behide the counter i needed a 3/4 heater hose about 5 inch long , then he said what kinda car ? , i knew i was in for sum crap , so i told him a 87 olds with a 307 auto trans, air and all that crap ,so he goes what hose you needin , i said the hose from the water pump to the turmo hosing , he looked for a few mins and got another dude to come and look and then he said
sorry sir you will have to go to a junkyard to get that they no longer make it

i said , this would be a great place for a parts store!!!! and walked out
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #15
1969 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Hey, I'm one of those guy's behind the counter!! Been at it for a few years now, it's nice having access to parts!!
Same here, I work at the local CarQuest. There are 2 Napa stores, 2 Advance Auto, and 2 Autozone within a 10 minute drive from my house, but before I got the job here I still went to this store. My dad's business has an account with them, and has for 10+ years (before they were a CarQuest). My boss is one of the "good old guys" even though he isn't even 50. He has thousands of part numbers memorized, its pretty amazing.

As far as the "what kind of transmission, what engine, a/c or not" questions, it is what the computer tosses in our face. The computer is easiest to use, and everyone can agree on that. However, usually stuff can be tracked down in the books. I have only once had to tell someone that we did not have a part, iirc it was a door guts piece for a Ford Ranger. But on our computers, it asks us these questions. However if we (on the counter) have any sense we don't ask them, because there is an option for "don't know" every time. Also, common sense factors into things like buying universal accordion heater hoses, or hose clamps.

I know a little bit about cars and trucks, and its already helped me alot. I have customers that know I can help, and it gives me some pride.

However, remember there is always a two way street... usually problem customers that come in give us wrong info, or just plain being dickheads.

Last edited by 1969 GMC; 06-15-2006 at 07:48 PM.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #16
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I have had good luck with the local Napa stores in both Little Falls when I lived at home and here in Sleepy Eye. They are independantly owned. The Little Falls store had a full machine shop. It's where my dad would get parts. Now that I'm all growed up I've learned the advantages to being in a small town. There are 3 guys that work the counter when I'm buying parts after work and on weekends. Two of them also work at the local ford dealer, one as a mechanic and the other as a parts manager. They work the extra hours for the cash, one has 2 boys in hockey. The 3rd guy is just a hobbyist that recently sold his 69 firebird. He loves cars. Any one of the three will know what I'm talking about if I tell them I'm putting 73 calipers on my 71 and need the hoses because of different ends, etc.

I also know the local Ace Hardware owner. He has three guys there full time that know everything in the store and how to get it if they don't. I can call them and ask them to find me just about anything and they'll call me back when they find it.

The next dinky town west of here has a decent speed shop that a lot of the local dirt track racers use. Knowing the local mechanics help too. I rarely use them for service on my truck, in fact never, but they do work on the wifes burb when I just don't have the time. They will borrow me tools if asked. One has a 67 GTO, another is restoring a 57 T bird, etc.

Small town stores rock.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
farside847

There are no more parts stores in my town at all now. I need to drive two cities over to find the closest Napa. I guess they think everyone should pay a pro. Thats why I buy so much online and have it shipped to me. Then I dont need to drive all over to find a friggen wiper blade.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #18
rauto13
saving one more

I have been avoiding reading this thread, but finally broke down today.

Time for rant

My Great Grandad started a parts store in 1924 as a gas station, went to Grandad, then Dad. Was supposed to go to me, this is what I have been told since I was old enough to know what a car or truck was. I even moved back to this small town to take it over.

After ten years of trying to buy it, I finally gave up. Now it is closed and everything is going up for auction.

I worked in that store for 15 years on and off and I could tell most people what they needed just by seeing the part. Small town, knew most people by name. This was the kinda place that always had coffe on and you could come in and shoot the bull, have coffee, and catch up on what the local gossip was.

82 years worth of family tradition gone and there is nothing I can do about it.

Rant off

PS. this is where I get my screen name R-auto
Attached Images

driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #19
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

That's sad, and happening all too often. Why wouldn't they sell the shop to you?

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:25 PM   #20
rauto13
saving one more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T
That's sad, and happening all too often. Why wouldn't they sell the shop to you?

not really sure, I never got a straight answer in ten years
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #21
49studebaker

I can think of two problems...first one, stores like Checker, Schucks and Kragen, same franchise maybe, are set up in their computer to have to ask the questions in that order. Also, It seems that people that work at those places generally have less experience and are younger. Maybe it's a wage thing. I frequent part store a lot an my last trip was to find a rear end (differential) gasket for my wifes Dodge Durango. First stop Checkers, I went through all the does it have blah, blah, blah. None of the questions pertained but at the end of it all they said, "we don't have one". Next stop, a real parts store with experienced parts people. They drag out the book look down all the columns and say " They don't show one, are you sure it's not glued on". I say "I never thought about that". Next stop (napa) they don't see one listed either, he calls his buddy at the local Dodge dealer and then says I need a tube of silicone. Long story even longer, some good parts guys have the experience to go beyond the parts books. it seems most of the ones using the computers at the box stores don't have the experience to go any further. I also notice the turn over in employment is greater at the box stores.
49studebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I used to have a parts man,then they hired parts boy,He tried but needed lots of seasoning.However parts boy finally finished college and got a better paying job so now there is parts moron at the parts store.Real mechanics can make more repairing than selling parts so....then they retire instead of taking an easier job for their golden years.

BTW shifty has a real parts guy in the Carquest store in Marrietta Ga.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #23
Green Machine

Have a good NAPA here, but the main guy is about ready to retire, some of the others are not too swift. My son went there the other day and asked for starter brushes, one guy said, nope don't have them any more. Without missing a beat(taking lessons from me) he asked the main guy and he said, yep we have 'em, they're just not in the computer. He looked in a book to verify, went right back and got them. Going to miss him when he retires.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #24
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

I have worked at Oreilly for a little over 3 months now, and we have a good staff now. The main people worked at a "mom+pop kinda store" A few weeks ago we had a guy who constantly told people "no" or they dont make it and I was having to do double the work. It sucked. We traded him to another store for a more experienced worker. I have people that come in everyday from competitors and some of our other stores mad about the employees who knew nothing. I enjoy selling parts and helping people make educated choices when buying parts to suit their project. I also foundout their is a lot more C10's in the area. I could go on and on...
Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #25
clay68c10

The Autozone here in Bedford is pretty good, they have a couple of older experienced counter folks. The napa back in Laramie, Wy was the best. I rolled in there one time and came out with all the tuneup stuff for my 54 Willys with no drama, no backorders, and it was all priced normally. They always had old GM stuff in stock too.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote