The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

How value does original paint color add? Whats it worth?

how much value is what the title should have been. Been kicking around the idea of restoring my 70 Sierra Grande camper special to bone stock original, it is a farly high option truck, everything is pretty much stock except for the tach and van tilt and the big ol 402 engine( was swapped for a 350 years ago). Just wonderin is the truck worth more painted the factory color(534-white and med olive)which is kinda ugly, or paint it red and white or something. What would you guys value this truck at if it were restored. Here is the option sheet and some pics
Attached Images

80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.

Last edited by Blue85; 06-21-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: How value does original paint color add? Whats it worth?

My $.02, depends on the market. I'd say a nice truck original color or not will not increase its value a great deal. Fix it up and it will be the value put into the resto effort. BTW, the medium olive isn't too bad when it is a fresh paintjob, but after 30 years they all get kinda ugly.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:11 AM   #3
HeavyD

IMO any nice color vs. an ugly shade will add value to the truck. If the factory color happens to be attractive, then I would repaint it stock, but if you think it is gross then don't bother. You don't like the stock green? Is it the same as this board member's truck? With fresh paint I really like it.

Last edited by HeavyD; 06-22-2006 at 04:13 AM.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Original,it`s easier,too.It takes a real fine buncha work to do a color change and get it right.Look at it this way:If you come up with your own color and people ask,"Why`d you paint it that?",you say,"I don`t know,I always liked the color",or something.If you paint it factory and they ask,you just say,"I wanted to keep it the factory color."Medium olive poly is a color people have criticized for years that has now become more popular.New Mustangs even use a not as nice version.I`ve painted two that color,one in the 80s,the other in the`90s.Both times,when I told people it would stay that color,they kind of just said,"oh."Once painted,they were,"WOW!"I especially don`t like a non-factory original color if the truck is basically un-modified.That GMC HeavyD showed is beautiful.Look in the "Trucks For Sale" section at Westcoaster`s GMC,nice!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

My opinion is that your truck doesn't have the original engine therefore it isntt original and it doesnt matter what color you paint it... My truck was originally Olive Green with White center and a 350 4bbl engine and TH350 trans. It is now pink & white ( which were Canadian only mid year colors in 1971 ) with a 396/350hp and Th400 and to me the big block and color really enhance the value of the truck.. I bought the truck cause of the color and the big block was a bonus as I would have bought it with small block in it too.
It is your truck and an extension of yourself and your personality so rebuild it for you !!!!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
SactoJim

While these trucks are very popular and to some degree collectable, I don't think that making sure it's a factory color makes much of a difference, unlike the muscle car market where the value can be substantially affected by the color. Most of the people buying these trucks do so because they really like this era of trucks and want to use and enjoy them and just as long as it's a tastefull color and done correctly I imagine it could only add value.

I have an original 2 color (yellow/white) SWB cheyenne w/ good options that I elected to change the color to a late model Corvette color because I just wanted a different color.....I'm sure it won't hurt the value.

.....now if I had an original late 60's big block SS camaro and it was an ugly color, I'd have to leave it, cuz it would hurt it's value.
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote