The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
akjarhead

85 Chevy

I have an 85 Chevy 1/2 ton C-10. It has a crate 350 with a fairly radical cam. The lift is in the range of .525-.530. I live in California and it won't pass emissions so I can't get it registered or anything. I was wondering if putting a stall converter would help or if I actually have to swap the cam for a smaller one all together? Any help would be appreciated since I grew up in Alaska we don't have emissions laws in the town I'm from. So I don't know anything about it. Thanks guys

Tony

Last edited by akjarhead; 07-23-2006 at 12:25 PM.
akjarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: 85 Chevy

Can you get it registered in alaska? thats gonna be your best bet, what did it fail in the test, the visual or the dyno or both?
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
akjarhead

Well I haven't had it tested yet just that's what the guy said was wrong with it. He said it runs like a top but it won't pass emissions. I think I'm going to try and get it registered up there. I mean I found a cam that might work a Comp with a 224 duration at .050" and a max lift of .502...think that may work to pass?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:21 AM   #4
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

First off is this a Cali truck??? what mods have been done under the hood, if it won.t pass the VISUAL even a stock cam won't pass it, I have an 83 with the 305 and the first thing they look at is under the hood at the snake pit, it's stock with only a KN filter,FLOWMASTER,3" exhaust and HYPERTECH Super Coil. I would go with the Alaska registration myself!!!
John
Old 07-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
akjarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83
First off is this a Cali truck??? what mods have been done under the hood, if it won.t pass the VISUAL even a stock cam won't pass it, I have an 83 with the 305 and the first thing they look at is under the hood at the snake pit, it's stock with only a KN filter,FLOWMASTER,3" exhaust and HYPERTECH Super Coil. I would go with the Alaska registration myself!!!
John

Hey John,
Thanks for the advice bro. It's not a Cali truck it's an AZ truck. Under the hood...crate 350, holley street avenger carb, edelbrock air gap intake, obviously cammed haha, (can't a lot of the emissions depend on the duration of the cam?) flowmaster 40 series and turndowns. Here's the link to see her.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT check it out and give me anymore advice you got. thanks guys
Tony
Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Nice ride Tony , yeah get it registered in AK and you'll have no problems driving it in Cali since your in the military,Oooh Rahh, i'm retired NAVY Viet Nam/Desert Storm, stay safe
John
Old 07-24-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Gary

Register it anywhere but Cali and drive it like a tourist
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
akjarhead

Haha...yeah how do I go about doing that? Just call the DMV back in AK and register it up there? cause there are NO emissions laws in my town just a noise regulation haha. That sucks...but I wonder if they'll let me drive it in Cali with an AK registration haha...then i'd have AK plates that'd be sweet thanks guys
Old 07-26-2006, 12:39 AM   #9
84slopwaggin

Dude you got the truck for $2300. That looks to be a good deal. I've seen beaters at that price. I seen that auction myself on Ebay, but I thought for sure it would have been more that what you got it for. Whats it street manners like? Is it a good daily driver or more of a weekend cruiser/warrior? Nice truck and have fun.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

If you are in the military and your family STILL lives in Alaska and you are still considered a resident of your state (Alaskan driver's license etc...), then register the truck there under your name and your dad's name. Of course, they may ask if you have the vehicle inside the state lines, because if it is in California, then they may not register it either. In my state, the local Highway Patrol has to inspect any vehicle that has come from "Out of State" before it can be registered, I don't know about yours.

The California law is tough, and you will never get it past the "Smog Nazis" unless it is STOCK, STOCK, STOCK. I tried it many years ago when I took my Kansas truck to LA and was going to sell it. The guy that sold it to you, probably knew this and slid that one over onto you without any smiles (that you could see). The stall converer will not do a darn thing for the smoggy test. They stick a probe up your tail pipe and it reads the hydrocarbons, etc and the tranny is not even engaged for this. As stated above, the visual will kill you right off and the lope in the motor will send them to the other end of the truck to finish you off. They charge you each time you drive across the door sill and they don't care hom w many times you come back. (Privately owned business working for the state) Good Luck

Last edited by piecesparts; 07-26-2006 at 07:09 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #11
akjarhead

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the advice. I got her figured out though. Alaska is such a cool freaking state. I swear...I talked to the DMV lady and she said that since i'm in the military i just gotta send her proof i'm still an AK resident and have a friend bring in the title and the title/registration form and i'm good. so all i'm doing is waiting on the title to get here. Nah he told me it wouldn't pass emissions before I bought it so it's not that bad but luckily my plan worked out haha.
Yep got her for $2300 I mean all I gotta do is drive from San Diego when I get back there to Phoenix and drive her back. It's pretty cool though cause they're even sending me Alaska plates...Thanks for everything guys read my post about the stepside bed I wanted some input on that cause i've never owned one of these trucks yet

Tony