The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Sillyoldman

Lowering coils springs~help

I posted this in the '63 era with no reply. I think its safe to put here too because the parts in question are for '63-72 trucks( p.18 Early classics). It appears the coils are universal between model years. Here was my question in the other posting.....

I need advise lowering my '63. Its a 3/4 ton. Obviously I do not care if it remains a 3/4 ton. Im looking at cataloges and see that all of the lowering coils are for a C-10 model. Nothing for a C-20. Does this indicate that the springs are 1/2 ton rated and will fit either suspension? Im not in a financial situation to put on drop spindles. I have to stick with lowering coils.
Can anyone tell me what the best front/rear drop ratio is, and where to get the coils? I want to go as low as I can with the use of coils. I want the stance to be level, or slighly lower in the front.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
byrd
Union Electrician

Re: Lowering coils springs~help

I think you are correct, that all the springs are half ton rated, but I belive they are also progressive weight: ie: the more you load the harder they push back. The lowest I know of that you can go in the front is 3", and by using 5" springs in the rear, but you can also use lowering blocks in the rear to get it down even more or use in conjuction with the drop coils to save your suspension travel.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Last edited by byrd; 08-07-2006 at 09:26 PM.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Yep, the springs will fit either 10 or 20. Just don't expect your hauling capacity to be C/20 specs.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
bryanw1968

Just make sure that you get a good spring manufacturer spring. A buddy of mine got some springs from Mcgauffie(sp?) and they were thin and had no hauling capacity at all. I went with Early Classic as they make their own and you can get low w/o losing the ability to haul stuff. I really like em'.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Robznob11

got mine from sports truck dirrect, they got 6" drop rears, you can get western chassie or beltech....
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Sillyoldman

Hooray! I found some at Early Classics. I actually talked to a parts person and not an order taker. He said the same. I can use 1/2 ton drop springs to achieve a 2/4 drop. Its not quite as low as I wanted, but within the budget. I guess my next question will be regarding wheels. Mine are 8 lug, and will need to know where to look for them. Should I use a shorter wheel, or keep the factory height?

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
bryanw1968

I've gotten quite a bit of stuff from them and it's all been high quality stuff.
And yes, you actually talk to a knowlegable person not an order taker.

Either keep the rims you have or do a 5 or 6 lug conversion?
You could get a new set of 5 or 6 lug rear axles and a set of spindles up front.
Could convert it to disc while you're at it
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
MISTERSHOTGUN

I had a low budget also and got tubular lower control arms with 2 1/2 drop and also I cut the first coil offof the fron springs then got the lower real coils and it was not as low as I wanted so I put 600 pounds of sand bags in the back near thetailgate and put level stands under the frame and heated the springs evenly and it lowered to the stands perfectly about 2 more inches of drop. It didn't effect my ride experience. But heating springs can go very wrong if you do it wrong. So I got sever extra springs just incase I screw up. I still have two extra sets. If you or anyone wants to try heating springs. Although if your not careful it could ruin you springs. I heated mine very slow and in one spot. With a lot of weight in the back, you don't need to heat them as much. Keep in mind that after you heat them and they cool on stands then you remove the weight, it will actually lift up off the stands a little. just go a little at a time. I'll send some pictures later
MISTERSHOTGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
MISTERSHOTGUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERSHOTGUN
I had a low budget also and got tubular lower control arms with 2 1/2 drop and also I cut the first coil offof the fron springs then got the lower real coils and it was not as low as I wanted so I put 600 pounds of sand bags in the back near thetailgate and put level stands under the frame and heated the springs evenly and it lowered to the stands perfectly about 2 more inches of drop. It didn't effect my ride experience. But heating springs can go very wrong if you do it wrong. So I got sever extra springs just incase I screw up. I still have two extra sets. If you or anyone wants to try heating springs. Although if your not careful it could ruin you springs. I heated mine very slow and in one spot. With a lot of weight in the back, you don't need to heat them as much. Keep in mind that after you heat them and they cool on stands then you remove the weight, it will actually lift up off the stands a little. just go a little at a time. I'll send some pictures later
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  97.1 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  58.2 KB
MISTERSHOTGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
bob arnold

Hi, Mistershotgun's truck has exactly the front suspension system my son bought from LMC several years back. His is marked Chisholm, uses the stock height front coils with the new lower A arms to drop the front 2 1/4 in. My questions are have you had any problems with the A arms, do you consider them safe? Would you use again? The guys I have talked to at the parts houses tell me they are not safe and can break, but, they have a vested interest in selling us something else so I will greatly appreciate actual user feedback on how well these units work and if there are any safety issues with them. Also if you can tell me how to get in touch with Chisholm I will greatly appreciate same. Thanks very much, bob

Last edited by bob arnold; 08-16-2006 at 01:23 PM.
bob arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
C10 Club Tennessee

Sillyoldman-Just cut one coil off the front and buy you a set of 4 inch drop coils.

A decent drop for about $100

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

About the wheels...There are 15" 8-luggers out there or could be custom made.Not so "budget",but maybe you can luck into a used set.16.5s are low profile compared to 16s.In 16" the "75" series are pretty short and kinda wide,like a 245/75x16 that came on 88-up trucks.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote