The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
abadsvt

Powder coat frame or por 15 it?

Hello all! I am slowing working on my 70 c10 swb. I am going to be using it mainly for a tow truck for my boat but also i want to enter it into shows and what not. I wasn't sure which route i want to go. Powdercoating the frame would look really nice but is it really worth the money? Especially for a truck that i will drive on a regular basis. Some where else i read someone por 15 there frame which worked great for them and helps keep the rust away. I am going to be using it to back the boat into the water so the frame might get wet on a regular basis. If i do powdercoat the frame i was hoping to do it red. Would that be a bad thing cause of chips and rocks that will come into contact with it? I am not expecting the truck to win the truckin nationals or anything but i would like the truck to look like it could have a chance. I hope that makes sence. Please help me decide. thanks
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Powder coat frame or por 15 it?

I'd powdercoat it.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
abadsvt

Do you know how well the powdercoating will last with normal driving? What i mean is before it gets all chipped up and scratched. Thanks Josh
Old 08-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
motocrosschump

Powdercoating is alot tougher than POR
1969 Chevelle 2 door 350/3
motocrosschump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
JameslovesJammie
God Bless Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrosschump
Powdercoating is alot tougher than POR
You're kidding me, right?

There are people on this board who have POR-15'd their frames and had it drip on the garage floor and can't get it up with a chisel and hammer!

I'd go POR-15. Brushed on or sprayed.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
incoma

Depends on the type of powder used. Some powder coating is very "ceramic" in finish and will crack easily. Other powder is fairly pliable after it is baked on.

Another issue with powder is how the frame is cleaned before the powder is applied. If an acid bath is used, every inch of surface metal will be stripped. Powder is sprayed on and won't get into all of the nooks that the acid could, thereby leaving the frame unprotected. I made this mistake.

The perfect application would be an e-coating under powder. E-coating is basically an electro-static paint application that dips the frame into a vat of paint that is charged. It puts an even coat of paint on the surface of the metal (including the nooks where acid cleaned up the old grime).

In Jackson, MS there was a company e-coating frames for Nissan. The powder coating outfit would send a frame (and entire car bodies) up to be e-coated after they acid dipped it. Then they would powder over the e-coat. Really nice finish afterwards.

I don't remember what it cost to do all of that, but it took about 1-2 weeks with all of the travel.

I powdercoated my frame without the e-coating, as I didn't know that was an option. I used a polyester based powder, and I like how it sits. I had to use a hammer on a bracket, and it stretched / rippled the powder. It didn't chip. There's my .02. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
abadsvt

I don't think anyone around here will be able to e-coat it. So if i completely disassemble the frame. I mean every nut and bolt removed do you think it would be good? That is exciting new to hear how durable the stuff can be. I really want to do it right and powdercoat it but wanted to make sure 5 years down the road it still looks nice! Thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
roj2323

this should be an interesting thread. i look forward to hearing both opinions as i'm about to tackle this project myself.
ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
chevyboy55

I would think that powder coating would be rather spendy for that large of an item. One thing with POR is it will run into the nooks & crannys. We used zero rust on my sons frame.
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
bean

I'm with James. Por15 is just about bulletproof. That's the way I would go.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I work on over the road truck all day lonr. Now, granted, I live in the salt belt, and abadsvt does not... however... every truck that comes through the shop has powder coating flaking off the chassis. I understand the salt, and the amount of miles... apples to oranges.... however;
The 4X4 crown... from what I understand... prefers the POR over powder, for it's resistance to rock chips.
We use POR all day long at work. We have an inhouse radiator shop, which specializes in tractor trailer rads...and bugger. Right now, there is a 12 foot tall rad sitting there getting over $7000 in labor alone on it. (an example pointing out the level our rad shop is at... not just some hillbilly with a soldering iron) When we rebuild the rads, many get POR on the inside and outside on the tanks... just about every freightliner does, they seem to be the absolute worst on tanks rusting off.
We did our own in house test. In the rad shop, we have these big water tanks for dunking the rads or fuel tanks in for checking out leaks. (pressurize the rad or tank with 30 PSI... look for bubbles) The are about 2 maybe 2 1/2 feet deep, and they are about 8 foot square... maybe more. They are filled with plain water, with some green dye added. Plenty of flux gets in the water, and solder does to, so i am sure the water becomes acidic over time, but we drain them every 3 months or so to help keep it to a minimum.
We bought a new tank, and before we filled it, we took another one, sand blasted all the rust off, POR'd the whole inside, and covered it with white rustolium paint. The new tank had an unchipped powder coat, and we painted it white with the same rustolium paint. (one gallon can and a roller... not spray paint)
Within 6 months, the new one was starting to bubble, the POR'd one didn't start bubbling until roughly 18 months.

My vote goes to the POR.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #12
incoma

Does POR come in a non-glossy finish?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

WoW, intersting read so far, I'm fix'n to do oner of these to my 2wd
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #14
chevymad

If you don't top coat the por then yes it will be non-glossy. Stuff is extremely tough. You can't beat it off with a hammer. If you leave the surface rusty it even sticks better. I did my frame, it's not a show frame, but the stuff definately isnt coming off.

70 gmc changed to 67/8 chevy, 454 with voodoo cam, th400, all 74 running gear.. in progress
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Get it galvanized...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #16
abadsvt

Wow this thread switched fast. It started out all about powdercoating and now it is all about por 15. I will probably drive less than 8000 miles a year. Also does anyone have any pics of a frame with por 15 on it. I want it to look good. Like i mentioned before i would like to enter the truck into car shows. I am not looking to have a show class winner but i would like the closest thing you can get for an almost daily driver. I hope that makes sence. So you can brush on por 15? How does it look. Does it have brush strokes everywhere? Should i spray it? What if you get a run is it impossible to get off? Pics would be great. Thanks everyone for your comments!!!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #17
Longhorn Man

POR must be top coated. Even frame work will start to look bad after a few years if it is an all the time out door truck.
It is high gloss out of the can... at least, the stuff we get it.
This is dry on the frame. Excuse the bad photo... the lighting in there isn't the best.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #18
abadsvt

Thanks for the pic longhorn. Do you have a little more focused pic? I basically want to see what a frame that has been por 15 looks like. I know it is only the frame but i am weird and like everything to be perfect or close to it as possible. Thanks Josh
Old 08-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #19
Longhorn Man

No, i don't have any better pics, and I've been driving it for 6 months, so it is filthey now.
If the metal is rust free and dirt free, it'll go on very smooth. When I did my hitch, i didn't want to give it a top coat... it looked that good.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #20
72SWBChevy

I have just had my frame, upper and lower a-arms and the A-frame all powder coated in gloss black. It is a show finish and amazingly smooth and shinny. It would have taken me a week to de-grease and sandblast it to get it clean enough to paint. I also welded all the extra holes in the frame to make it smooth.

2006 Crew Cab Dmax/Allison Summit White-SOLD-
2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 Pre Runner - daily driver -

my build thread -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...95#post4774595
72SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #21
Longhorn Man

you powder coated over dirt, grease and rust?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #22
72SWBChevy

no....you can just take all your parts in dirty and they sandblast clean and then apply the powder coat...they do it all!!! It comes back perfect.

2006 Crew Cab Dmax/Allison Summit White-SOLD-
2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 Pre Runner - daily driver -

my build thread -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...95#post4774595
72SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:31 PM   #23
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

We painted my son's with xo rust. Took many, many hours of wire wheeling and prep. Then used primer and then top coat. Mostly brush and roller with some rattle can in the hard to reach places. Turned out nice, but is prone to chipping. I would have used the por15, but time and money spent elsewhere made me go this route. It brushed on very smooth.
Attached Images

1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #24
abadsvt

72 chevy do you have any pics of your powdercoated parts? I would like to compare the two. Thanks everyone for commenting and helping me out. AL's71gmc what did you use? It looks good! josh
Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 AM   #25
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt
AL's71gmc what did you use? It looks good! josh
Josh, It's called XO Rust- Basically Rustoleum type product. The main reason I used it was poverty. About $30 worth between the primer and topcoat, and it comes in lots of colors.
1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote