The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Looking for ideas

First of all, let me introduce myself:

My name's Matt and I live and work in Sacramento, CA. I picked up a 1985 Silverado shortbed from my uncle with 59,041 miles on it. My uncle bought the truck new back in '85 and it has been well taken care of and garage kept over its lifetime.

Where this truck became a larger part of my life was about 3-4 weeks ago when I lost control of my 1986 Toyota MR2 and spun out on the freeway, making friends with a guard rail while I was at it and destroying the MR2, my project for the last two years and the source of 99% of my financial woes.

I was going to just keep the truck stock, maybe lower it a few inches and take my stereo from the MR2 and put it in the truck.

Great, real simple right?

Wrong... This truck quickly went the way of many things when my dad and I get involved. Things got complicated...

I picked up this month's issue of "Truckin'" magazine while I was bored the otherday in Raley's. Low and behold, there's a *****in' 1985 Shortbed Silverado in the pages touching frame to ground, sittin' pretty on a set of 22" wheels with an amazing orange paint job inside and out. The best part about the truck, was that its mostly stock. With the exception of the suspension, the truck hasn't really been overly modified. Its just so... beautiful...

Anyway, that's when I decided that I was going to turn my newly purchased vehicle into yet another project.

I want to try and make the truck a tribute to its older brother that is sitting in my garage waiting for body work (I have a 1954 GMC that my dad and I have done basically a frame-off resto job to).

I want to do the same things I'm doing with my other truck. Update the interior and stereo, lower it a little, give the engine some love, and also shine things up with more chrome. The only thing I really want to do differently with this truck is that I want to make it more usuable seeing as it's my daily driver, so I figure a spray on bedliner with a rubber mat, and a few other things like that are in order.

I'm looking for ideas from you guys on how to make the truck seem more nostalgic. The only things I can think of for the exterior are to add some chrome headlight surrounds and maybe a billet grill (but there really aren't any out there that scream "I'm the one you want").

I need suggestions for the interior, engine, suspension, and exterior. Nothing will be laughed at, just try and remeber that I'm going for a nostalgic feel and not the highly modified show car like my MR2 was.

Thanks all for the time. Hope to get to know some of you guys, maybe BBQ or something soon.

Also, pics of my project cars to come soon...
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Looking for ideas

Welcome to the forum AceX. It sounds like you had a bit of bad luck, but at least your seeing the positive side of it.

It sounds like you are talking about the 85 owned by Cory Scott of Kustom Werx. Don't let the trucks outward appearance fool you. While it started life as a low mileage stock truck, it far from that anymore. The entire truck has been repainted, the frame has been Z-ed, and the motor is no longer stock.

Personally I think your on the right track though. Of course I'm rather biased towards stock appearing trucks that are bagged with big inch billet wheels...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Yeah, I'd love to be able to do some motor work, but living in California doesn't make it very easy. I have a friend who owns a smog shop where I used to live, so visual inspection doesn't even matter, but he tells me that i still have to pass the sniffer. Sucks too because my uncle who I bought the truck from has all kinds of cool parts just lying around his shop...

Yeah, I was reading more about the truck. The chasis did undergo some heavy work, but if you look at the body and the interior, not much is done to it besides the paint.

EDIT: I just read up on your truck... I'll be outside smoking a ciggy if you need me...

Last edited by AceX; 08-19-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
EDIT: I just read up on your truck... I'll be outside smoking a ciggy if you need me...
I'll take that as a compliment

Don't get me wrong I think Cory's truck looks killer. Ok, maybe I would have ditched the large mirrrors, but beyond that I love it. It's really special to me because his desire to build that truck was inspired by what I had done with my 77 and others he had seen like it. He took it quit a few steps further and the end result is awesome.

Here's a couple more you might enjoy
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-20-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Here's a few of Cory's truck....
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Eyegore
What Hump?

Ken why do you keep putting those pictures up? I thought I was getting close to finishing mine, now back out to the shop, btw what is on the cowl hood of that first truck shown?
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #7
bodydropped

welcome to the borad, yea ken corys truck makes me wanna go out and get a loan and finish up mine but what makes me wander is why they dont have the a/c hook up on it but still a simple build
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX
My name's Matt ...
I'm looking for ideas from you guys on how to make the truck seem more nostalgic. The only things I can think of for the exterior are to add some chrome headlight surrounds and maybe a billet grill (but there really aren't any out there that scream "I'm the one you want").

I need suggestions for the interior, engine, suspension, and exterior. Nothing will be laughed at, just try and remeber that I'm going for a nostalgic feel and not the highly modified show car like my MR2 was.
IMO, a good stance and wheel combination goes a long way in making a truck look nice. I guess a 4-6 drop is needed for a DD, but a bag setup would give a better stance and allow for adjustability. Cory's truck is an extreme example of a heavily modded frame with a stock-looking body. A prime example is N2's truck with a nice stance and wheels without heavily modding the frame or the body. Check out some of the other rides on here that have 4-6 drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
It sounds like you are talking about the 85 owned by Cory Scott of Kustom Werx. Don't let the trucks outward appearance fool you. While it started life as a low mileage stock truck, it far from that anymore. The entire truck has been repainted, the frame has been Z-ed, and the motor is no longer stock.
What I find interesting is that he modded and Z'ed the frame, but did a 'reversed' drop crossmember so that he didn't have to mod the cab floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyegore
btw what is on the cowl hood of that first truck shown?
Yeah, that cowl induction hood does look good... nice and subtle. I figured he just sectioned one of the standard cowl hoods.?

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I think it depends on the hood manufacturer if it has a raised peak or not. Seems like the Goodmark hood on my 73 had one.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:52 AM   #10
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Keeping in mind my exremely low budget, I htink I'm going to opt for some 2.5" drop spindles and then go with a 4" drop out back. I think that would look really cool without having the spend the big $$$ on a good, stealthed, air ride system.

The stereo system is going to be upgraded from what I ahd int he MR2. I'll still be using the MB Quart components and Eclipse head unit and also probably the Zapco amp, but I'm going to upgrade to some new Pioneer subs and probably another amp to power them. Taht should handle the stereo nicely for my new daily driver.

Exterior is going to remain COMPLETELY stock. New mouldings are already on their way. I've spent only god knows how many hours hand buffing the paint (machine buffers intimidate me). The bumpers will need to be rebuffed though.

EDIT: Thanks for the pics. More clean trucks to draw ideas from. You rock my world sir...

I'm looking for some subtle touches for the interior (billet accessories, etc) if anyone has any suggestions.

The motor is what I'm the most stuck on... Living in California REALLY limits me on engine modification. I'm just looking mostly for some better fuel economy to be honest, so if anyone has a suggestion, by all means, speak up.

Last edited by AceX; 08-22-2006 at 12:54 AM.