The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
68 ReNay

seat belt bolts

what size bolt do i need for the seat belts in my 68? someone put after market belt in before and used different locations for the bolt. i bought a set of original belts (retractable outsides and one regular third belt) and i want to bolt them in the right, original spot but i don't know what size to buy. and it appears the inner belt bolt hole is a little wider than the outer one (having tried the largest bolt i had on hand in the threaded holes).

please help. i'd like to finish this this weekend.

thanks a bunch!
68 ReNay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: seat belt bolts

The original bolts/nuts are 1/2-13 threads at all locations.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would recomend real seat belt bolts. They have a very large head on them that helps distribute the load over the metal end on the belt, and also IIRC, it is a funny thread too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

if i were to take a set of belts from an 87, will i be able to use all of the mounting hardware from the 87?

i would be putting these into my 69
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I don't think theose would work properly. Some ppl make an arm to extend the rachet mech forward, but IMO that is not very safe, and the DOT would agree.
it is technicly illegal for you to update your seatbelts onles you are installing the corect parts for said make/model/year vehicle, or a premade kit that has a DOT number on it for said aplication.
This is fed laws... not state or county stuff.
I WILL get flamed for this.
Don't dispose of your stock belts, you may need them later on for state safety inspections.

If you must update, and don't want to buy a kit, I understand square body S-10 seat belts work great onless you are a heavy person.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
qksilver

I would spend the money on new seat belts. I have seen them priced from 35 to just under a 100. Seems to me 35 year old belts or even 20 year old belts might not be as strong as when new. Plus i have heard some of the cleaninh products people use to make them look new weaken them.
With liability laws the way they are i would think, and I have been wrong many times, that the companies that sell them new or renew them would make them strong.
I personally never have used them since I started driving...... I will join Longhorn in being flamed!
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

sounds like i need to do a little research before ripping the set out of my brothers 87 donner truck.

so it sounds like i should be able to find a set of new belts, that are legal for under $100? if that's the case, i'll go that route.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote