The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
oatzy

Installing a 2004 seat in a 71

Hey guys I want to put a set of 2004 40 20 40 seats in my 71 3/4 4x4 manual transmission truck. They are out of a 2004 silverado they have the rails and wiring and built in seat belts. I heard the seats need to be powered for the built in tensioners to work. Is this correct? Any issues with this install that people know of. Thanks in advance
oatzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Installing a 2004 seat in a 71

You need to reinforce the floors when you install them if you plan to use the stock seatbelts (weld bracket or something to bottom of cab) or the seats will rip right out of the floor in a collosion and your ass goes bye-bye

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
RSRXION

I opted not to use the later model seats in my 72. The problem comes in the measurement for diagonal legroom. The 88 up cabs are 6 inches longer than the 67-72 with respect to the measurement from the throttle pedal to the base of the back window. I was also going to put the 03 Silverado seats in with the built in seat belts but the legroom would have been terrible for me. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs. The Silverado seats are much thicker in both the seat back and the seat bottom forcing the driver to sit higher and further forward. Headroom is also an issue. What I settled on was a 60/40 seat out of an 88 Cheyenne and the seat belts out of a 96 Tahoe. When I get the paint etc... all done I'll have the seat recovered in leather . I'm also using a 14 inch steering wheel out of an 80's camaro and a tilt column. This makes getting in and out a snap and the seat is really quite comfortable. I'll attach a pic of the seat in its' trial fit stage. Of course Shifty is right in that you'll need to properly reinforce the floor / bolts. Good luck, Dean
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 AM   #4
Gimix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRXION View Post
I opted not to use the later model seats in my 72. The problem comes in the measurement for diagonal legroom. The 88 up cabs are 6 inches longer than the 67-72 with respect to the measurement from the throttle pedal to the base of the back window. I was also going to put the 03 Silverado seats in with the built in seat belts but the legroom would have been terrible for me. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs. The Silverado seats are much thicker in both the seat back and the seat bottom forcing the driver to sit higher and further forward. Headroom is also an issue. What I settled on was a 60/40 seat out of an 88 Cheyenne and the seat belts out of a 96 Tahoe. When I get the paint etc... all done I'll have the seat recovered in leather . I'm also using a 14 inch steering wheel out of an 80's camaro and a tilt column. This makes getting in and out a snap and the seat is really quite comfortable. I'll attach a pic of the seat in its' trial fit stage. Of course Shifty is right in that you'll need to properly reinforce the floor / bolts. Good luck, Dean

Is that measuring with or without the in cab gas tank?i can't see because of the bright sun.I think i remember seeing a braket or somthing that you can buy that lowers the silverado seats,but im not 100% sure.
Gimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
RSRXION

The measurement is without the tank. I measured from the base of the accelerator pedal to the bottom of the rear window.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
gator2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatzy View Post
Hey guys I want to put a set of 2004 40 20 40 seats in my 71 3/4 4x4 manual transmission truck. They are out of a 2004 silverado they have the rails and wiring and built in seat belts. I heard the seats need to be powered for the built in tensioners to work. Is this correct? Any issues with this install that people know of. Thanks in advance
If you are talking about the built in tension devices in newer bucket seats, you do not need power for them to work. Try pulling the seat belt out very fast and they should lock up. At least thats the way my Caddy seats work. Now they have a pre-tensioner device built into the seat belt that requires a computer and sensors to operate it. Its an explosive charge device, Me no like!
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote