The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
orange-c10

timing mark way off the scale???

been having alot of hesitation problems when i take off. replaced plugs and points. nothing. checked timing. it was at 4 degrees btdc. so i decided to loosen the distributor and drive down the street and make adjustments until the problem went away. got home and pulled timing and now im way advanced past the indicator. it accelerates good now but its knoking like crazy when i get in the throttle. anyone know whats causing this?

also just read that some 350s have a timing mark at around 2 o'clock and some at around 12. my timing mark is lining up at about 12 right now with the indicator gauge at 2. but if i advance it more wont my knocking get worse?

Last edited by orange-c10; 10-24-2006 at 06:00 PM.
orange-c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
be_el

Re: timing mark way off the scale???

Have you checked your timing advance unit..... Sounds similar to a problem I once had from not having hardened valve seats and running unleaded gas. Caused my valve seats to begin pitting and eroding...seems like I was always messing w/ my distributor and advance unit 'til I changed my heads.
be_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
orange-c10

not quite sure how to check it.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
BobRitts

re: checking the vac advance can... One way is with one of those little handi-vac hand pumps (like for bleeding brakes... harbor freight probably has one for under $20 or you might could borrow one from the local parts place).

Attach the vacuum lead to the dist. vac advance can port, put the timing light on, and watch how far it advances and when. Should start advancing the timing at about 5 inHg and be all in by 15 or so, with a total of 15 - 20 degrees advance when you have the pressure at max.

If it knocks under throttle it's probably not the vac advance, b/c the vacuum goes way down when the throttle plates are open. I'd suspect the mechanical advance (initial + centrifugal) is too high for that load/mixture combo.

Mixture may be off, hence the stumble off idle. IIRC, too lean will ping, so richening it up could make it not ping so much. Real cause might be a vacuum leak messing up the mixture.

HTH

Last edited by BobRitts; 10-24-2006 at 06:15 PM.
BobRitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
jacobs

I have personally known timing marks on harmonic balancers to be off by as much as 8 degrees new from the factory. Although this is not common, it can happen. Also, harmonic balancers can and do slip causing timing marks to be off. It sounds to me like you advanced your timing too much and what you are hearing is just pinging. Back your timing off a little at a time until the pinging goes away and you should still have the performance you are looking for.
jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
jacobs

High performance Corvettes in the 1950's and 1960's didn't even have vacuum advance. A vacuum advance that isn't working WILL NOT cause driveability problems. They are only there to boost gasoline milage.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
70rs/ss

Vacume advance most certainly will effect driveability, if the distributor doesn't advance how does your spark lead advance with the rpm?? They have mechanical or vacume, but not none!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobs View Post
High performance Corvettes in the 1950's and 1960's didn't even have vacuum advance.
Not the case to my knowledge for the 60's 'vettes. Even the top-of-the-line L-46/L-88/ZL-1 engines had vacuum advance. Can't speak for the 50's.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
alblogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobs View Post
I have personally known timing marks on harmonic balancers to be off by as much as 8 degrees new from the factory. Although this is not common, it can happen. Also, harmonic balancers can and do slip causing timing marks to be off. It sounds to me like you advanced your timing too much and what you are hearing is just pinging. Back your timing off a little at a time until the pinging goes away and you should still have the performance you are looking for.
Got a 307 now if you put a timing lite on it and set it to factory specs will not run. When I tune it up I idle it up I turn the distributor one way till it misses then the other way then come back about in the middle take a spin then I know if I need to advance or retard.
Tuner,Viper
'88 K1500 Cheyenne, 5.0, stock, bought new
'86 Nissan 720 Trash Truck
'69 C/10 step side, 307, all original, second owner, in process of restore.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrurt the person doing it.
Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.

Allen- Paintman
Wrenchtwister
Broompusher
alblogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
jacobs

High performance Corvettes only had centrifugal advance whereas everything else including trucks had BOTH centrifugal and vacuum advance. Nothing uses vacuum advance only - it just won't work.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
cdowns

well to properly time an engine it's first necessary to determine where what marks on the balancer and timing indicator are in relation to TDC on the compression stroke
in 35 years the balancer could of been changed the timing indicator could have been changed the timinig cover changed // you can dance araound all you want with the distributor but if you dont know what you're lookin at it aint going to do much good //this is where a service manual comes in handy
personally i'd change the fuel and ar filters b-4 the timing
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 10-24-2006 at 07:40 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Billla
Account Suspended

I would start by ensuring the TDC mark is right - this is pretty easy with one of the spark plug piston stops, let me know if I need to detail the process.

The rest of this comes from another post of mine at:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=211331

I would disconnect the vac advance and check centrifugal advance first. Advance should be all-in before 3000 RPM and should not exceed 34-36 degrees. Set static timing ensure no more than 36 degrees total advance. It's not uncommon to need 12-14 degrees initial advance on a modified engine to see 34-36 degrees total, but a stocker should be closer to 8-10. Anything really wacky here in terms of the RPM that it's all-in at, total advance or required static advance means someone's been monkeying with the centrifugal weights or springs or they're sticking. They should rotate very loosely on the pins and have a bit of moly lube on the dimple underneath that they bear on. Replace the springs and weights and lubricate the points if you end up with something weird.

Next, ensure the vacuum advance is connected to a ported vac source on the carb and hasn't been moved somewhere else - too strong of a signal means too much advance under load. Ported vac is taken from directly above the throttle blades. Then take the engine to that all-in RPM slowly and see how the advance changes - vac advance should add another 12-14 degrees of advance at part throttle. If you're seeing WAY more than that then consider replacing the can - it's an easy swap, and an adjustable item is your best bet.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #13
orange-c10

would i get a knock or ping if the timing wasnt advancing enouph
Old 10-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #14
orange-c10

also if i back the timing off anymore ill get the flat spot back
Old 10-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #15
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange-c10 View Post
also if i back the timing off anymore ill get the flat spot back
You kinda need to decide if you're actually going to troubleshoot this and fix it, or if you're just going to change stuff and see what happens A piston stop is like $10 and will let you be SURE the timing is set correctly. A little work with an advance timing light - $60 for a basic one at Sears - will let you be SURE the centrifugal and vacuum advance is working correctly. This is at most a couple of hours work and you don't even have to take anything apart.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #16
orange-c10

ill have more time to work on it this weekend. for now i just need to get to work. would napa have a piston stop. i agree i need to find out where the true tdc is. now when i do is that where i make a mark on the balancer or do i have to turn the crank back until it hits tdc again and place the mark in the middle?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:25 AM   #17
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
ill have more time to work on it this weekend. for now i just need to get to work. would napa have a piston stop. i agree i need to find out where the true tdc is. now when i do is that where i make a mark on the balancer or do i have to turn the crank back until it hits tdc again and place the mark in the middle?
Sorry, Dude - been there :/ I would retard the timing until the ping goes away and live with the flat spot for the next few days, IMHO.

NAPA might have one, but you *may* have better luck with one of the other chains...or someone in your area might offer to help you out! ANYONE?

The second is absolutely correct - turn one way to hit the stop, make a mark, then turn back and make a second mark and it's midway between. It's a heckuva lot easier if all the plugs are out, but if you take it slow and let it bleed down it's not too bad. If you find the balancer mark is off, IMHO the best bet is to buy an aftermarket pointer that you can adjust.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 AM   #18
GMC Jim

per Chev truck chassis service manual, a 350 cu.in engine, auto trans.; specs are :- Initial timing 8 (degrees) @ 550 RPM (idle). Centrifugal advance (degrees) @ (RPM) are 0 @ 865; 2 @ 1335; 11 @ 2400 and 18 @ 4200. Vacuum advance is 0 @ 8" vac. and 15 @ 15.5" vac. Proper vacuum advance is somewhat critical for best engine operation. Test the vacuum unit for leak down by applying vacumm; closing of the vac source and observe that the unit holds the vacuum applied.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:59 AM   #19
Werewolf
Woof?

I don't know if your question was answered or not, as I didn't have time to read through all the replies.

But serious pinging while driving, especially under load, is often caused by the timing being too advanced.

Although serious carbon build-up can do it too. Other things, like a nonfunctional EGR, will also make a big ping. Of course, you shouldn't have an EGR setup on this truck.
1997 Astro
1992 Caprice wagon, 500k stock miles. Nursing wounds after a bad wreck.
1997 Saturn - need gas mileage from something!
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #20
70clone

just wanna make sure, do you have the vacuum line disconnected from the dist and blocked when your running the timing light, because if you dont that will cause it to do exactly what ur talking about.
70clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:34 PM   #21
Werewolf
Woof?

A stretched timing chain might do this, too.
1997 Astro
1992 Caprice wagon, 500k stock miles. Nursing wounds after a bad wreck.
1997 Saturn - need gas mileage from something!
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #22
orange-c10

yes i plugged the vacum on the distributor as well as the carb. ive only been experiencing these symptoms since i installed an edelbrock performer manifold. i initially thought it was a vacum leak. sprayed around the carb and manifold with carb cleaner and no change in idle. im wondering if maybe its a leak between exhaust and intake runners. could possibly cause me to be running lean maybe? first im going to check to see whether my timing mark is right and if so im going to take the manifold off and reinstall.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #23
Billla
Account Suspended

Ah, that's a key piece of information - knowing of a change is always good

I'd definitely suspect a vacuum leak at the most common points - the front or rear of the manifold. Did you just use a good RTV there, or did you use the gaskets?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #24
orange-c10

i used the gaskets. i noticed in the instructions it said to just apply 1/4 inch of rtv
Old 10-25-2006, 10:06 PM   #25
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
i used the gaskets. i noticed in the instructions it said to just apply 1/4 inch of rtv
Well, not a certainty but the gaskets are a definite no on the SBC. They're VERY easy to displace and don't hold despite the little rubber pins that fit into the block. I'd go ahead and check the TDC, but then IMHO I'd pull the intake, dump the end gaskets and use a good high-temp RTV. If that's not the problem now, it will be :/