The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
bdshort86

'69 C-10 Crew Cab??

Anyone have any info on dealer-ordered '69 Crew Cabs? Bought this one from its original owner a few weeks ago and am very seriously contemplating the idea of selling it just because it's not very practical for me, and I don't have a good place to store it (too long for the shop or the garage). Thoughts? Info? Thanks!

Last edited by bdshort86; 11-22-2006 at 07:32 PM.
bdshort86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
kyull67

Re: '69 C-10 Crew Cab??

The only thing that I've heard about them is that they were made for railroad companies. They're pretty rare.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
bdshort86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyull67 View Post
The only thing that I've heard about them is that they were made for railroad companies. They're pretty rare.
That's an interesting thought. Any idea where I might find some info regarding that? Have you ever seen one before? It seems like a railroad company would be more likely to use a C-20 chassis, but I guess it just depends on what they used them for.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I don't know how "dealers" sold them, but these trucks were NEVER produced by GM. Aftermarket companies took the trucks, stretched the frames, and added the extra cab lengths. There are several variants that were done. Some were done as 2 door extended cab trucks. Your's looks to be a nice survivor. That's about all I know about these trucks, other than I would like to have one someday....
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
bdshort86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I don't know how "dealers" sold them, but these trucks were NEVER produced by GM. Aftermarket companies took the trucks, stretched the frames, and added the extra cab lengths. There are several variants that were done. Some were done as 2 door extended cab trucks. Your's looks to be a nice survivor. That's about all I know about these trucks, other than I would like to have one someday....
From what the original owner could tell me, you're correct about that. The truck was originally ordered by Tom Vandergriff (owner of Vandergriff Chevrolet in Arlington, TX... he was also mayor of Arlington at this point all the way until about 10 years ago or so) as 1 of a package deal of 4 that he bought. This one was driven by Mr. Vandergriff as a "demo" for about 6 months and 1300 miles, and then sold to the gentleman I bought it from.

Interesting story: Mr. Vandergriff's wife drove this truck one afternoon and backed into a pole, busting one of the tail light lenses - it was at that point that he decided it was just too long and wanted to sell it. Several days later, the gentleman I bought it from was about to leave on an elk hunting trip when he decided his '68 standard cab long bed with a small block was just not enough truck to haul around all his gear and slide-in camper all the way up north. So, he gave Mr. Vandergriff (a personal friend of his) a call, and Mr. Vandergriff "just happened" to have the perfect truck for him. Later that day, he had traded in the '68, and was packing his hunting equipment into the '69 crew cab. The truck made the trip perfectly all the way into Canada, and averaged 9.7 miles per gallon with 4 grown men and all their gear.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
chevguy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
This is also what I know. I have only seen a couple of them online but never in person. The extra cab is added after it is sold by a private company.
chevguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
72 cheyenne pdx

That's the 2nd i have ever seen. The first one I saw was at a car show in California. The gentlemen who owned it said that he bought in Nebraska and it was used at a fire station. That thing looks to be at least 40 ft in length. I have been thinking of making my truck into a crewcab, but try and keep the original length (c10 long bed). That's is pretty sweet lookin' though.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
bdshort86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
That's the 2nd i have ever seen. The first one I saw was at a car show in California. The gentlemen who owned it said that he bought in Nebraska and it was used at a fire station. That thing looks to be at least 40 ft in length. I have been thinking of making my truck into a crewcab, but try and keep the original length (c10 long bed). That's is pretty sweet lookin' though.
Thanks for the compliment. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the one you saw in California, would you?

And yes, this truck is very long... has the turning radius of a bus because of the wheelbase being right at 14 ft.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
67 cst swb

I think Scotbilt Chevrolet in Oklahoma...or something like that.... I remember something like that in conversation awhile back....
I have an ad on my home computer (I'm at work now) I will add it to this thread later...
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 11-21-2006 at 04:03 PM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have a few of those on my web site...I have never seen a 1/2 ton version though.
While the trucks were in fact outsourced to have the conversion done, they were sold through normal dealers. (the converson companies also sold them from there lots) They in fact still do this today. The best example I can come up with other than conversion vans, is the camaro and cavaler of the 90's, GM never made a convertable... ACI did most of them. ACI also added the fake rag top convertible junk that was on the top of my old town car.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
68gmcdually

That is one nice looking truck. Mine is only an extend a cab and it is not quite big enough to get my son's rear facing car seat in ther comfortably. I would imagine that very few crew cabs made it north of the border and from the one's that moved up here probably none survived.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Short.I checked one out for a fellow BB member a couple years ago.It was in Marrietta Ga.The doors floors and some of the other cab parts were rusted badly.The engine bay was a mass of tangled wires and the bed was beat to death inside and out.If you do decide to sell PM me and I will check with the BB member and see if he's still interested in buying one.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

I am also in Marietta, Georgia and I am not sure who the other one belonged to here in town. I have never seen it.

I know the forestry division had a few of these things also.

If you decide to sell it........I am interested in it!!!!!!

Please put me in line for it!!!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
bdshort86

Thanks for everyone's info and interest in the truck... it's been pretty overwhelming! I believe I've spoken through PM's with each of you who are directly interested in the truck. If I haven't, please PM me. The truck is now definitely for sale, and it is also on eBay.

I don't believe I can say any more than that since I'm not a subscribed member... or I may have said too much already. Mods, if you need to, feel free to edit this post to coincide with forum rules as I'm not sure how specific I can be in this case since I'm not posting it for sale on this site.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #15
Hart_Rod

Here are some links:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...53#post1757553
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=133756
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157369
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=188993&page=4

I bought the one in the first link. I think I have some more links at work.

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:55 AM   #16
72 cheyenne pdx

After work I went to see if had a picture of it near by. I am not able to find it at this time, but will keep lookin. It was before digital cameras, or at least before I could afford one. I have a few more boxes to look in.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:29 AM   #17
Hart_Rod

The first two pictures are a truck that belongs to a boardmember (70CREW??). The third is an advertisement by Scott's Chevrolet that built custom cabs like yours. 4 and 5 are pictures of my truck. I supposedly is a prototype built by GM. I'm not sure though, either way, I think it's going to be a cool truck.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #18
Dano69c10

bdshort86; if you're going to sell put my in line to buy that beast.
Dano

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
bdshort86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano69c10 View Post
bdshort86; if you're going to sell put my in line to buy that beast.
Dano
Thanks for your interest! PM'd you a link to the auction.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #20
bdshort86

The truck has met its reserve on eBay, so it WILL SELL to the high bidder! If anyone wants a link to the auction, PM me and I'll be glad to give that to you along with any other info you need.

I received an email from someone who saw it on eBay that these trucks are rare to begin with, but that what makes this truck even rarer is that it was never used commercially. Most of the trucks were used by the railroads, forestry service, and oil fields... and then sold later on to civilians after they had been used (or used up) by different companies. Does anyone know any production numbers on these trucks, or a way to find out how many were sold to companies vs. individuals?

This truck has really gotten me reinterested in 67-72's! I've owned both a '71 LWB and a '68 short stepside as projects/drivers in the past. It's been amazing to find out all the neat stuff on this particular truck and then get everyone's emails and stories relating to similar trucks. It's good to know the 67-72 enthusiasts are still alive and well... and Booming!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #21
Longhorn Man

i highly doubt you'd find any prioduction numbers. You could try to locate the company who did the conversion... then see about the companys that did other conversions... pretty much a lost cause.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #22
bdshort86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
i highly doubt you'd find any prioduction numbers. You could try to locate the company who did the conversion... then see about the companys that did other conversions... pretty much a lost cause.
Good point. Nearly 4 decades is probably too long for something as rare as this to still have much of any information that specific still around.

Another question... I got a call from a guy last night wanting to know if it still has its original "Protecto-Plate". I looked through some of the original papers in the glovebox, and the little plate is there - still stuck to the original brochure it came with. How rare are these little plates? I've never even heard of them before, much less seen one. Here's a couple pics of it:

Old 11-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #23
Longhorn Man

I have one out of the 4 trucks I've had... well, 3 1/2 trrucks anyways.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #24
bdshort86

I got an email from a guy this evening that I thought might be of some use to anyone interested in these crew cab trucks. Here is the email:

"This truck would have been built by Automotive Industries Inc.in Owendale Michigan.They were they only conversion company that utilized the fulldoor in the rear as welland the full size bed. Allother converters shortened the doors and got rid of the wing window.The also shortened the bed. I owned a 65 GMC crewcab built by the same converter and the headliner was the same as this one has. They in fact did make no more than 100 vehicles per year. Most were Chevy's, some Ford's and only a few GMC's. My 65 GMC was one of only 15 built that year. Search for a website under 6066gmc and you willsee more crewcabs from this era. There were 6-7 conversion companies that GM used all the way from the 40's and up. My 65 should still be on the site. It is under Jays GMC. This is a treasure,mine was toorusty for me to tackle.It stilllooked good and turned heads everywhere.I got 5,500.00 for mine tore completely apart so this should go for a nice price.Good luck!

Jay K."
Old 12-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #25
bdshort86

Well, the truck is sold. It bought $6900. The guy that bought it is from Connecticut and he plans on doing a frame-off resto on it and using it to tow his '69 chevelle big block to shows. I can't wait to see pics of it as a tow rig for that car.