The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Dynamat inside doors?

I have my doors gutted right now for restoration and am wondering if I installed dynamat on the backside of the door skin if I would be inviting rust to form underneath or around the mat. I have etched the inside of the doors and coated them with POR15 from a spray bottle [that was a huge mess let me tell you]. I would like the sound insulating benefits of dynamat in there but don't want any water that makes it down past the window to just sit in there and rust my doors. Any thoughts?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
nandress

Re: Dynamat inside doors?

I guess it all depends on how much rust you had in there before, how much exposure to the elements you are planning, and what level of restoration work you are doing with the windows, etc.

I personally do not see how it can cause a significantly worse condition than what you would get if you don't use it. Dynamat is pretty sticky stuff, so I don't think you would have much chance for water to trap into voids or wrinkles.
nandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
jimmydean

If you shoot the inside of the door first, maybe with something like POR15, then plater dynamat over the top of that, I think you're solid. I am doing that to my cab floor, rolling out POR15, then double layer of dynamat. Not sure if i will do the doors, but if mine were gutted, I would. I have the paint and I have the mat.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
subtle71
Granddad's Ol' Truck

BigSky71,
I highly recommend using the Dynamat Extreme sound deadening material. I covered the inside of the door skin and both sides of the interior side of the door shell. However, I made sure to leave a two inch gap all the way across the bottom of the door and made sure not to cover the drain openings. Keep in mind that not only rain and water from when you wash the truck, but also condensation need to a way to escape the door.

The advantages are many. Protect your truck against door dings, quieten your road/wind noise, and a nice solid "clunk" when the door is closed!

Dean

2005 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD crew cab 2wd

[I]1971 Chevrolet Custom 10 Deluxe lwb fleet-side
subtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would use it.I think only a one foot square of Dynamat is required for sound deadening.You could easily use 3 times that and not block drains.And it really sticks solid to the metal if installed properly.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
72 cheyenne pdx

Car audio is something I have been into for sometime. I wouldn't recommend using it through out the whole car, but for inside the doors, under the the back window, and hard to reach areas in a vehicle, I use spray on/brush on sound deadeners. I use Stinger's Roadkill sound deadener. IMO it works pretty well. When cured Stinger claims this stuff is virtually waterproof, extremely resistant to oil, gas, most chemicals, subzero temperature tolerant and completely fireproof. It claims to be easy clean up, but I recommend wearing gloves, mask, and masking off anything and everything that you do not want this stuff on. I learned that from experience. I hope that helps. Here is Stingers website. www.stingerelectronics.com
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
Car audio is something I have been into for sometime. I wouldn't recommend using it through out the whole car, but for inside the doors, under the the back window, and hard to reach areas in a vehicle, I use spray on/brush on sound deadeners. I use Stinger's Roadkill sound deadener. IMO it works pretty well. When cured Stinger claims this stuff is virtually waterproof, extremely resistant to oil, gas, most chemicals, subzero temperature tolerant and completely fireproof. It claims to be easy clean up, but I recommend wearing gloves, mask, and masking off anything and everything that you do not want this stuff on. I learned that from experience. I hope that helps. Here is Stingers website. www.stingerelectronics.com
That stuff looks pretty cool, wonder just how reliable it is with vibration and other stuff
Old 12-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
72 cheyenne pdx

I would recommend going to a Car Audio store and checking it out. They should have a demo of this stuff or a version close to it. I think you will be amazed by it.

I had an '87 VW Golf back in the day when I was heavily into the "hear me from a mile away" bass sound. I put in Dynamat all in the headliner, the floor, and behind the speakers in the doors, but I still had the rattling sound in the hatchback and a little in the doors. When I worked at a car audio shop we just became a dealer of the spray/brush on Stinger Roadkill. So I bought 3 cans of this stuff and sprayed the doors and hachback. The only rattle after that was the hood of the car. I had 5 Rockford amps in that car. I had (2) 1000W amps running each 12" Sub, (1) 500Wx2 running the 8" mid bass, (1) 100Wx2 running the 6.5 mids in the front, and (1) 60Wx4 running all 4 tweets. I never did find out if you could hear me from a mile away, but my girlfriend always said that she knew I was coming about 3 minutes before I showed up.

Last edited by 72 cheyenne pdx; 12-27-2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: missed some wording
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:46 AM   #9
Americanrider

Here is some very good info to read before you buy ANY sound deading products.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
Putter
More Cowbell....

I have Dynamat in my doors, too. Makes it sound a lot more solid when shutting the door. Also have a layer covering the floor and firewall. MAJOR difference in heat and road noise.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Thanks for the replies! I haven't actually installed Dynamat so I wasn't sure if the edges of it would be porous or not. Sounds like that is not an issue. My door drains are open and functioning... I know from all the por15 that ran out when I sprayed in the door, huge mess!

I really like the idea of solid sounding doors, specially once there are a couple of 12s behind the seat!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
DoobieBrother

The sounddeadener show down link about gives a lot of good info. Personally, I'd use Raammat over Dynamat. And if money didn't matter, Second Skin over that. Dynamat is third in line for me.

Last edited by DoobieBrother; 12-28-2006 at 03:34 PM.
DoobieBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Thanks AmericanRider, I read that sound deadening article... wow that guy has done alot of work putting together that information. I will ring his tip jar to show my appreciation.