The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2002, 11:01 AM   #1
palallin

Exploding Battery

OK: I finally got my truck back this morning--the drivetrain's as tight as a drum; Thanks again, Bob!--and, on the way to work, my battery blew up!

I was on the highway. I smelled what I thought was burning insulation--you all know that smell, I'm sure. Then: BOOM! The engine died. I coasted to a stop and popped the hood. I could find no burned wires under the dash or in the engine compartment, but the top of my battery had disintegrated. There wasn't much acid around.

I suspect the battery was low on fluid--I should point out that only one cell blew. I probably oughta check the voltage regulator output for over-charging.

Can anybody else think of something else I shoul look for?
Old 08-22-2002, 11:57 AM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Look for the Angel on your shoulder.

Exploding batteries can equivocate bombs of varying sizes. You're lucky that it was contained under the hood. Sorry for your situation.

I'd be replacing the regulator, and getting the alternator checked out (Advance Auto Parts/AutoZone/NAPA/a shop). You're going to be buying a new battery. Check the wiring from the battery to the alternator. Check the negative side. Check the positive wire that goes to the junction box on the inner fender. Make sure it is not burnt. You may even consider replacing the front (lighting) wiring harness.

Batteries that are claimed to be "maintenance free", rarely are. The reason the battery exploded is due to an accumulation of hydrogen sulfide gasses that were ignited by a spark....where from is unknown. So, keep an eye on the electrolyte level in your battery. Pry the cap off and look at the level in the top of each cell. When properly filled, the electrolyte should have the appearance of being slightly concave (dip). If you need to top it off, use DISTILLED water. Your city or tap water may have minerals in suspension that could short out the plates in your battery. You can buy a gallon of distilled water at WalMart for less than $2.

If the battery was under warranty, you may want to consider the possibility that the seller will help if the battery caused other damage. No guarantee, just a suggestion. Don't get all bent out of shape when you bring it up, like I would, tho. Good Luck.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
palallin

Well, here's the skinny:

In moving things out of the way, someone at the shop wedged the positive battery cable between the exhaust pipe and the flange bolt to hold it up. As I drove to work, the heat melted the insulation--that was the hot insulation smell I detected--and then the cable welded itself to the pipe. Instant dead short right next to the battery = BOOM!

Since I haven't paid the shop yet, I'll wrangle the cost of the battery and the cable out of him at that time.

In the meantime, the proximity of that cable to the exhaust is something for everyone to keep in mind . . .
Old 08-22-2002, 03:13 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

....and the root cause of the problem???? Somebody didn't check their work when they got thru. Just think, you coulda hada meltdown...whole truck. Wonder what the shop woulda done, then? Let us know what they tell you. Thanks for the feedback and the caution.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:29 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Check your header for a hole where it got welded by your battery. Seen it happen many times.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:31 PM   #6
palallin

Quote:
Originally posted by longhornmail
Check your header for a hole where it got welded by your battery. Seen it happen many times.
Good idea; it needs some exhaust work anyway (I don't have headers, but that's beside the point). I HATE exhaust work. . . .
Old 08-23-2002, 03:24 AM   #7
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

blown up batteries can be quite scary, my hood has a bunch of little dings comming up from the bottom and scorch and acid stains all over it from the battery blowing up on the previos owner, not exactly sure, but I think the cause of that one was a .30 caliber rifle, because there is a bullet hole in the hood and matching dent in the radiator support and all are in a direct line with the battery.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote