The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Hart_Rod

Sheetmetal question

I was fitting some of my sheetmetal tonight and the bottom of the front door sticks out further than the new rockers. I put a straight edge on the rocker and it looks like it dives in as it gets closer to the front door pillar. Since I wasn't sure if it was the door or the rocker, I bolted the front fenders on. The front fenders match the rockers. So to make a short story long, are the front rockers off or is their a problem with the bottom of the door?
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: Sheetmetal question

Sounds like the rocker is messed up. I had to do alot of tweaking to get the door, fender, cab and rocker lined up. But the rocker should be straight and not go in like what yours is doing. I have seen the cheaper rockers do that but not the better ones. What brand are your rockers, says on the small label inside the rocker?
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Hart_Rod

It's a Tri-Plus rocker I got from Goodmark. Both of the rockers do the same thing.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Aarons72s

I think mine were triplus, and I didnt have that problem. Strange? Like I said most of the cheaper ones, ie thin ones have that but not on the heavy ones. Maybe you just got some out of a bad batch would be my guess. Not exactly sure how I would fix that on the rocker tho.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Hart_Rod

I can slice it and reweld it. I just want to make sure that is the problem before I fix it. BTW, what part of OK do you live in? I grew up in SE OK, went to highschool at Smithville.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
Aarons72s

On the west side of okc. Smithville, I just looked it up. A few miles north of broken bow, did alot of repoing down by the oklahoma texas border 3 years back. Real nice country down there. Reminds be of back east with the trees and mountains. Broken bow was the closest I ever got to youir small town.

I see you fit everything together and if that is the only thing that doesnt line up, I would just modify the rocker like you said. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
High Speed low Drag

I had the same Goodmark problem. No big deal though.

In the first picture, cut to the 3 1/2 inch area right on the top as you look down at the rocker. Also cut the front of the rocker, the part towards the front fender. Take a big screwdriver and pry that part of the rocker out until it lines up with your straight edge. You may have to cut a little more to make it perfectly straight. Tack it once. Refit the door to verify rocker postion. If it's OK, pull the door and weld her up.

Both rockers I got from Goodmark had the same issues on the front part of the rocker. The doors were a whole other issue. Still not 100% satisfied with those.

It's about 20 minutes work per side without the front fenders on. Seeing how yours are mounted they're gonna have to come back off to do this.
High Speed low Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
High Speed low Drag

Damn I type slow. In all fairness, I did let the dog out though.

Last edited by High Speed low Drag; 01-08-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
Hart_Rod

Thanks high speed. I bet I put a straight edge on the next set I buy before installing them.

R
Old 01-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
High Speed low Drag

Nothing fits perfect. Goodmark is as good or better than most products out there. All of them have to be massaged to fit. Part of the fun, I guess.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #11
abadsvt

Looks great Hart rod! I have a question though. On your door skins. How hard were they to install? I have never done door skins before and was curious about the install. Were did you buy all the body parts? Were they all striaght? Would you buy from them again? Anyways thanks and keep up the great work!

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #12
Hart_Rod

Josh,

Didn't replace the door skins, I bought new doors from Goodmark. All the parts have been straight, except the rockers, . I have had to tweak the doors, mainly the door frames, but I expected that.

Rob