The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Rascal_one2001

Cluster Question.

Hi I was wondering what two gages my cluster doesn't have and if there is some where that I can get them is is it better to just buy a new cluster.

I am thinking that the top middle is supposed to be a tach but im not sure.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Gray Ghost

Re: Cluster Question.

Top middle is the tach and I have seen some with a vacuum guage in the lower blank.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
agronomya

You can get the gauges (tach at least) at a lot of the parts suppliers for our model truck, i.e. LMC and classic industries. I'm not sure about GMCPauls so I don't want to say they have them. Or you can redo the whole thing with new gauges like autometer but then you'd have to redo a lot of work it looks like you've already done. You'll need another backing to convert it to tach and vacuum (if you even want vacuum) because it doesn't have the numbers for those two gauges. With all the work you've already done to the cluster you might want to go ahead and use it as is and just put on a tach by itself if you want one. Hope this helps.

AA

1969 Chevy LWB-SDPC 350, TH400, old farm truck
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/agronomya/

2006 Nissan Altima-For my 2000 miles a month

Last edited by agronomya; 01-16-2007 at 10:04 AM.
agronomya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
Rascal_one2001

ok thanks guys I gues ill just run it the way it is.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Huck

Originally the Light trucks came with either the basic 3 gague setup (warning lights for oil pressure and battery charge) or the 7 gauge cluster with the center for a tach as an option. The lower right gauge was only used on heavy trucks ---which sometimes had the vacuum or an air pressure gauge for air brakes. This lower right gauge was never used on the light trucks. However, as time went on, lots of guys converted to sticking the big truck vacuum gauge in there for obvious reasons. You will find gauge clusters with camaro tach's stuck in the center opening and other non correct tach's there as well. I have also seen some really nice camaro clocks stuck in the lower right gague as well. The other option is the early 67-68 trucks had an option for "speed warning" which consists of a modified speedometer that has an extra needle in it you would set for a top speed limiter---if your regular speedometer met up with this white needle, your truck would give you a buzz reminding you to slow down. A neat little option that is sometimes found and works off a small knob--cable mounted on the dash bezel with a buzzer mounted to the firewall. Another nice update is the addition of white face gauges as the originals are not all that bright in black. You can see them on e-bay for sale or contact board member Byrd---as he, Randy, modifies them all the time. Some other members also do the modifications so there are plenty of choices for truck dash options!! Enjoy-----Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

huck... very well put. Only one minor detail... the speedwarning was avalible through 69 also.
Otherwise, dead on, simple, and acurate. (I seldom get all three of those in the same reply)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
WorkinLonghorn

You can get the tach and the printed circuit as a kit with all the mounting parts for aroung $200.You can get both,tach and vac kits for around $300.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
lamar

You need to get in touch with byrd, he is a board member. He restores and converts tach or tach vac. He does very nice work at a very good price. He will also sale the kit if you wanted to do the work yourself.