The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
kombreeze

Engine Additives? Are the Claims real?

I'm thinking about using a lead additive in my truck. 68 chevy with 327 heads so I thought it shouldn't hurt. Actually I found a case of it at Big lots for like 50 cents a bottle. Each bottle is good up to 30 gallons. I can buy enough to last me until the end of summer I plan on driving it. Another question is I may have is how do you guys like the Oil additives. Since I have a mystery motor I figured it shouldn't hurt....

So what additives do you guys use. Or better yet whats your experience with them. There are always so many claims for engine oil and fuel.
kombreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: Engine Additives? Are the Claims real?

I use the engine restore stuff in mine, the stuff that comes in the long silver can. Made mine run better and made it stop burning oil except at start up, bad guides and seals on #1 cylinder. I used the lead additive in my other truck, the orange and white, couldnt tell any difference. When I pulled the motor apart my valve seats had not indented at all. And this motor had over 140,000 on it when I pulled it apart. Ever since they started putting small amounts of alcohol in the gas supply I havent used any additives in my fuel and my motor seems to run better to. Just my experiances.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
GREASEMONKEY72

i use the lucas oil heavy duty oil stabilizer and it helps with the burning oil deal but then i just put in new valve seals today so its gona burn less if not none now but im still gona continue to use lucas

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

most are snake oil... bogus BS, but there's a hand full that are worth the time and money.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

OK...LHM...which ones are bogus and which ones are good.

Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW..had any DiCarlo's Pizza lately?

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
C10 Club Tennessee

I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts and like Andy said a lot of them are bogus, but I've always had good luck with the Lucas products. That is what I recommend to people that ask about that stuff.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
MACO

I have been a mechanic for 18 years and never used aditives, but I did try the Lucas stuff and found my engine does burn less oil. My engine is tired and retired and needs to be rebuilt. There is no need for aditives on a engine that is in good shape.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
gouldie

don't use lucas oil stablizer it will make the oil foam decrasing the lubrication
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

and most of the other additives are worthless, the octane boosters are xylene (sp?) which is a common paint thinner.

air ride, paint and big block coming within the next 23 years

2001 mustang gt for going fast
gouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Snake oil or not, i have been using "Energy Release" for several years and I believe that there is a noticeable difference in wear on my engines. I had one opened up with 140,000 miles on it and the wear patterns for a motor with that many miles were not as prevelant as I have seen in others. This was noted in the timing chain, timing chain sprockets, the cylinder walls, and the bearings. I have torn apart some real doozies in the past.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 AM   #10
roj2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Snake oil or not, i have been using "Energy Release" for several years and I believe that there is a noticeable difference in wear on my engines. I had one opened up with 140,000 miles on it and the wear patterns for a motor with that many miles were not as prevelant as I have seen in others. This was noted in the timing chain, timing chain sprockets, the cylinder walls, and the bearings. I have torn apart some real doozies in the past.
ER otherwise known as energy release is an awsome product. it's known to help older engines stay alive far longer than they should and help newer engines gain power. i have personaly seen friction tests that simply boggle the mind. i plan on using ER in my new engine and i allready have it in several other engines.
ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:41 AM   #11
cooters

as a lucas user i am surprised at the lucas test listed above, my only question is why i have run it for years and never seen white on the dipstick? surely the dipstick would have white oil on it if the pan is full of it.
cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #12
Smurfer643

I've heard a lot of good things (all word of mouth) about Justice Brothers. So I got some and poured it into my engine. If I can tell anything I will post again.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
whatnow123

Speaking of which, what ever happened to Slick 50? Is that stuff still around?
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
jacobs

It's my understanding the oil companies have recently changed the formulation of motor oils so that flat tappet camshafts are not lubricated as in the past. Some "experts" recommend using oil formulated for diesel engines for older engines. Is there an additive we should be using to protect our engines?
jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

jacobs, you are 100% right. Diesel 15/40 oils still have the high zink levels, but in a year or two, they will be robbed of the zink too.
There are some additives to replace the zink, I can't think of any off the top of my head... even one at the GM dealer.
Slick 50 is pretty much dead, it was only good for sludging up the oil pan.
restore... good stuff
duralube, more snake oil
many of the Lucas products are actually not good. They do what they claim, but, they are not good for the systems they go into.
ATF additives are BAD all the way around. Unless you are trying to milk a tranny thst is on it's last leg, DON'T DO IT.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #16
harmsy

I am a firm believer in Justice Brothers products. And yes their prodcts do work, just remember if something is broke a product in a can will not fix it, no matter who's it is..... They have been around since the 60's, excellant products. They are out of California, with many distributers all though out the country.
Harmsy

www.justicebrothers.com
harmsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
kombreeze

My partners neighbor swears on Amzoil. His neighbor is sponsored by it. He races dirt bikes. Now lucas oils has quite a bit of advertizing and so does the Purple stuff. What about the LEAD additives for our engines.

Last edited by kombreeze; 01-25-2007 at 02:15 PM.
kombreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
bobthecop

When I worked at a dealership we used BG products, the oil additive is MOA it doesn't change lubrication, but it does neutralize the acid in the crankcase that is a by-product of internal combustion. So bearings don't pit and corrode. I've also used the 44K a fuel additive to help with carbon guild-up in injectors. Sure seems to work, took the intake off of my '92 5.7 after about 100k and it was clean as a whistle. Added 44K every oil change.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)

Last edited by bobthecop; 01-25-2007 at 03:04 PM.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:03 PM   #19
lpaine

I was reading in a recent hot rod article about oil-related lifter failures and how some of the newer blends of oil were not really up to snuff for use in the older hyraulic lifter/pushrod setups. They reccomended shell's rottella blend as it has the best formulation for protecting the older style engines, sorry I can't remember what issue that article was in.
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #20
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Tghe article was discussing the fact that the newer blends have had a large amount of the chemicals,, like zinc removed from them. These chemicals were significant supporters of the friction design in the cam and lifters. The newer oil blends are streamlined to the roller cam and the newer design motors, which do not need those chemical blends for metal protection. The Rotella T oil is designed for heavy equipment and is a great replacement for those oils in the older motors.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote