The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2002, 06:41 PM   #1
Paul Clark

Powder coating

Can you powder coat over chrome?
Vent windows trim used to be plated. Most of it is gone. Would like to powder coat them.
Also, how do you get the old vent window glass out and how do you stick it back in?
Thanks
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 08:32 PM   #2
sniper2321

you cant coat them if you sand blast the chrome for powder to stick to.
sniper2321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 08:41 PM   #3
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

PAUL -- SURE YOU CAN POWDERCOAT OVER CHROME. THAT WOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM, & THE GLASS IS EASILY REMOVED BY PRYING WITH A SCREWDRIVER AT THE REARMOST TOP & BOTTOM, ON THE EDGE OF THE GLASS WHERE IT MEETS THE FRAME. IT'S HELD IN WITH GLASS SETTING TAPE.YOU REALIZE THAT THE HEATING PROSESS OF THE POWDERCOATING WILL MELT THE RUBBER WEATERSTRIP IN THE WING VENT ASSY. & IT WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED PRIOR TO P/C. IT WOULD PROBABLY BE A GOOD TIME TO REPLACE IT.

(EVERYTHING THAT GETS PODERCOATED IS SANDBLASTED FIRST)
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 08-27-2002 at 08:44 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
chaptr2

I don't want to sound like a know it all, but you can powder coat over chrome without sandblasting it. I do it all the time. How do you think they use translucent coatings to make anodized look?

I do this for a hobby and finished up 7 hours of coating on Sunday. Some of it was chrome and no I didn't blast the chrome first. I used translucent red over chrome valve covers (without sandblasting it) and they came out better than anodized coating.

What kind of coat do you want, textured or smooth? Is the chrome all there or is it half chrome and rust? If it is half rust and chrome, then sandblast to get a smooth finish. If the chrome is perfect and can be cleaned then powder coat over that. The powder doesn’t need a ruff surface to stick to, just a clean one.

I wish I had a digi cam to post pictures, but I don't. If you go to this web site and click on customer pictures check out the hood. They used a chrome powder coat to simulate real chrome, and then they put a translucent over it.

If you don't have to media blast then don't waste your time.

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
junkyardjohn

Red face

YOUR ABSOLUTLY RIGHT CHAPTER. MY NEIGHBOR HAD HIS ALUMINUM VALVE COVERS & AIR CLEANER HOUSING POWDERCOATED IN THE RED TRANSLUSANT YEARS AGO, & THEY WERE SHINEY, & LOOKED GREAT.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:30 PM   #6
Paul Clark

Everything is getting taken apart. Got one of those "vent window rebuild" kits, and think I might have it figured out - sorta.
Still don't know why there are a total of 26 rivets (13 per side) included, but I'll figure it out.
Plan on skuffing up the chrome and powder coating it with satin black. Might almost make it look like a one piece window. I'd be happy if it just wouldn't leak at the car wash.
Hope it works. Just glad the truck is one color, color sanded and buffed. It glows. No rust yet!
Thanks
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 11:55 PM   #7
chaptr2

If the chrome is in good shape, then don't scuff it. It will show through the powder.

For me, when I get ready to powder coat I always do a test piece. I have taken metal and scuffed it and it would show the scuffs. Not really noticable, but still you can see it. If the chrome is new, just clean it with a metal prep then plus making sure there isn't any lint on it, then coat it. You will like it much better that way.

I hope this helps...

Chaptr2

Old 08-28-2002, 12:28 AM   #8
nevada70chev

powder coating ?'s

what exactly do you need to do powder coating? is it possible to do this in a home shop? what type of vent? equipment? is it cost effective for small operations? thanks.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:20 AM   #9
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

www.eastwoodcompany.com I've been using this system awhile now and it works very good. You can powder coat over chrome.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 11:18 AM   #10
chaptr2

I use the same system as 70Jimmy. I bought my Hotcoat gun about 4 or so years ago and man it works nice. My pieces come out very professional.

You can buy powder from different places either on the net or local powder shops. Nevada70chev someone here on the board bought the same type as the one at Columbia coatings , but sold at Harbor Freight

Hey 70 Jimmy did you ever get that Red you wanted?

Old 08-28-2002, 12:01 PM   #11
nevada70chev

Question pardon my ignorance

so step-by-step, exactly how does the process go for powder coating an item from start to finish? again what equipment is needed? thanks.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:51 PM   #12
katdaddy

I AM INTERESTED IN THIS SYSTEM, IS THIS SYSTEM REALLY WORTH THE MONEY.

AND WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO POWDER COAT A PART IF USING THIS SYSTEM, I THINK THIS IS THE ANSWER TO ALL MY CUSTOMIZING PROBLEMS IF THIS IS FOR REAL....
katdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:06 PM   #13
chaptr2

It depends on what you're doing and yes very worth the money. To start you need a powder coating kit, a household oven that will only be used for powder coated parts (THIS DOESN'T MEAN USING YOUR BAKING OVER IN YOUR HOME), and an air compressor that is capable of being regulated to 5 to 10 psi.

Lets take a chrome valve cover for example. You have to clean the valve cover off with a metal cleaner making sure that there isn't any contaminates on it. Avoid handling washed parts with bare hands, use gloves to avoid contaminants. Make sure the oven is ready for on and up to temp.

On the chrome piece I have the color picked out and already set up in the gun. You also have a ground you will need to attach to the object that is being coated. Depending on your gun you have you pull the trigger while pushing a button making it static charged. Coat the part evenly then after coating, put in the over and bake. Take the piece out of the oven and let it cool, DON'T touch it until it is cool enough to handle. I have left fingerprints in things by touching it too early.

Now I can tell you temps to do, but you need to figure that out on your own. The base for baking is 400 degrees (not enough to ruin metal). I now turn my oven down to 375 and will bake a little longer or shorter depending on the thickness/type of metal. Don't think your first piece will be a masterpiece. It took me awhile to get the hang of it. If you need further help go to Hotcoat They have all the info you need.

You will have a lot of experimenting and creating things to cook on and with. I have talked to guys who powder coat for a living and they say the same thing. This is a hobby that requires imagination and a good thought process. Don't afraid to experiment with temps and times when baking.

Last edited by chaptr2; 08-28-2002 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:05 PM   #14
busterwivell

I love my powdercoating system from Eastwood. It was kind of intimidating at first, but I love doing my own stuff at home. I've done all kinds of suspension pieces, brackets and even wheels. I can't even tell you how much money I've saved. Plus, it's cool when your friends know you are doing your own stuff. Just tell 'em to take a number! It's also a great trade-out option.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:13 PM   #15
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

Well, I sort of got the color. I finally powder coated the eastwood red and took the piece down to the auto parts store and matched the caps on several engine paint rattle cans. The Eastwood "Bright Red" nearly perfectly matches the Poly Cote "Universal Red" engine enamel. I have a few freinds that have had good luck with the Poly Cote stuff. It's all in the prep. As soon as I get my brackets and pulleys powder coated and my valve covers polished, I'll post pics.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:07 PM   #16
katdaddy

DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE OVEN? IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY???
Old 08-29-2002, 12:46 PM   #17
busterwivell

You have to bake it at 400 degrees. can't think of any other way.
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
Old 08-29-2002, 03:04 PM   #18
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

You can use an infrared heater. Eastwood has an electric on and there are propane types available too. They run about $375 plus.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:06 PM   #19
E.R. Leonard

I have the East wood kit. I use an old oven, you can find them from electricians or contactors that do remodel jobs usually around $50 or free for the taking. I bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes depending on size and metal. It does everything form aluminum to pot metal. I put masking tape on bolt threads, powder coat the heads and bake 20-25 minutes, the tape will turn brown and get hard. If you lave it longer or hotter the tape will burn. I put corks in threaded holes, cork can take the heat for about 30 minutes, some come out complete some come apart but this is better than geting baked on powder in the threads. You can powder coat anything the powder will stay on and not burn. I have some beautiful powder coated corks.
99 CORVETTE CONV
78 chevy 2wd blazer
Angleton, Texas
E.R. Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:15 AM   #20
katdaddy

Do you fab up some kind of stand for the parts or what?

And How would you do something too big for an oven? Or would you be able to?

How far does the powder go?

"Thank you guys for the info, I'm really thinking I'm getting this thing."
Old 08-30-2002, 01:08 PM   #21
chaptr2

Quote:
You will have a lot of experimenting and creating things to cook on and with. I have talked to guys who powder coat for a living and they say the same thing. This is a hobby that requires imagination and a good thought process.
You have to create things to hang with and lay on. I have made a hook system for small parts. Big parts I try to elevate off the grates/cookie sheet so the parts get evenly coated and not leaving little marks on the coated parts. I have made stands and other funky things to use for powder coating. That is some of the fun in it.

If the part is too big for the oven then you take it to someone who has a bigger oven. If it is like an oil pan you figure out a way to bake it. You can leave the oven door cracked, just like you would cooking.

1 lb. of powder should go roughly 50 sq. ft.

Old 08-30-2002, 01:23 PM   #22
busterwivell

Once you get comfortable with powdercoating, you'll find all kinds of things to do. And you'll get good at it, and do it quickly. I like how little mess it makes, too. I probably have a dozen or more different colors now, and keep ordering more.
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
Old 08-30-2002, 02:05 PM   #23
JJ
Lurking Member

Does anyone else have the "Chicago Electric" setup like Columbia Coating offers? I'm thinking of ordering that one today. Also, is there any particular reason you can't use the oven in the house?

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 03:27 PM   #24
busterwivell

Well, the first reason would be you'd pi$$ off the wife, and, the warn you in the instructions not to........I suppose due to fumes or dust??????
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
Old 08-30-2002, 04:21 PM   #25
JJ
Lurking Member

Gee buster, I've had one of these trucks practically since I was married back in 79, and I've never pissed my wife off with anything I've done before....hahahahaha, well, maybe once?

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote