The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Kick Panel area Speakers with Templates!

About a week ago I showed you guys some pics of my kick panel speakers made of MDF.

Now, it is still my plan to have these covered in the same loop pile to match my carpet, but I had the 700R4 install this past weekend, and that took my funds away for a bit. Also several other things going on. So they are in raw form, but you can see the obvious simplicity of them.

I told you guys I would post templates, so here they are. BUT, before you download them - a few things you should know. I have no factory A/C, heat, etc. It is an aftermarket under dash unit that is totally compact under the dash. In that pic you can see the hoses running into the A/C lines. That's the lowest point. I don't know what you might have to work on to make these work with factory heat/air.

Also, how you mount these is totally up to you. In the pics below you can see I used some brackets that I bolted to the MDF panel then I sticky taped to the truck kick panel itself. You will have to work out these details.

Mounting the speakers is a breeze. See pics below for how I did it. I mounted the ring that comes with them, then mount the speaker through this and the panel with wood screws. I suppose I could lose the ring (I may do that when I bolt them back in).

Here's the templates (right click & save).
http://slickorange.com/board/driver.pdf
http://slickorange.com/board/passenger.pdf
TO PRINT: you must have an 11x17 printer. I couldn't think of any good way to make these on 8.5x11 without there being a high risk of losing the true size and shape.
When you open these in Adobe Acrobat 7.0 or Adobe Reader 7.0 (I don't know how other versions behave) you must change you setting to the following to get a 1:1 print out.

Go to File-Print Setup-Then select the Properties for your 11x17 printer-Change the paper size to 11x17-OK that and then tell it to print Landscape in the main Page Setup Screen.
Then, when you go to print, in the Page Handling section, make sure the "Page Scaling" drop down is set to None and the "Choose Paper Source by PDF Page Size" box is UN-checked.
You should be able to print this now 1:1. When you print it out, the easiest dimension to check is the hole size. Although it isn't perfectly round, it should be right at 5" in diameter.

Now, if you don't have an 11x17 printer, I will send you some copies of these in a envelope. The will be folded of course, but you can still use them the same. There is really only one good way of doing this. You PayPal me $3 dollars to cover the shipping and the trouble, and I send you the templates. It is going to cost at least $0.52 in postage, then by the time PayPal docks me, I pick up a few of the large envelopes, and I go to the post office, there is nothing left of $3.

If you don't have PayPal, e-mail or PM me and hopefully we can work something out.

MY PAYPAL e-mail is dblevins at signalmachine dot com.

Otherwise you can e-mail from the board using my profile thing, or PM me if you have any questions. Hopefully some of you can use these things. I know that getting speakers in these trucks isn't the easiest thing to do. Maybe this will help.

DLB

Last edited by Orange; 03-02-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Re: Kick Panel area Speakers with Templates!

Oh yea, and if you do this, please post it up so that I can see them, that'd be cool.

DLB
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Very cool Orange!

I plan on building speakers in custom kicks too, and was thinking of experimenting with the fleece and fiberglass resin method, my local stereo shop guy says its not too hard.

Edit; I checked out your truck website, great looking truck man, its straight as string!

Last edited by BigSky71; 03-02-2007 at 02:23 PM.
BigSky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky71 View Post
Very cool Orange!

I plan on building speakers in custom kicks too, and was thinking of experimenting with the fleece and fiberglass resin method, my local stereo shop guy says its not too hard.

Edit; I checked out your truck website, great looking truck man, its straight as string!
I will probably get into some fiberglass experimenting before long...but this is very simple, very quick, and very cheap. Lots of guys will like that.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
KAILUAZ
King of Rust

Cool, I just gutted my a/c-heat so there is plenty of room. I was looking at the fresh air holes and trying to figure something out, but your idea is much better. MDF is great!
I wonder if Kinkos could print that?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILUAZ View Post
I wonder if Kinkos could print that?
I'm sure they could. 11x17 printers are rare. We have 2 of them where I work. Kinko's would almost certainly have them.

You can also still use the fresh air holes if you wish. If you have factory air though, you'd have to put the pull handles on them, since they were vacuum actuated before.

DLB
Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

I went to the local Office Depot and they were able to print them off for 13 cents each. If anyone around me would like to get a copy they can get with me and trace the ones I got.

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules

Last edited by cameeks; 03-05-2007 at 08:33 PM.
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
IAFF2407

Great idea with those kick panels, wish I had thought of them before I installed my stereo this past summer, I used the cheap plastic ones. Maybe I can pass on a thought to others who plan on installing a stereo. I blocked up my bench one inch, installed the amp on the hump. Custom built some boxes for 2 8" low profile subwoofers, placed under the seat on both sides (had to remove seat adjuster cable) I then used a three way JL speaker system with crossovers. The 6" speakers in the door (holes where there ALREADY) 4" midrange mounted in the kick panels (would have used yours because they face you) and for those who live up in the wet coast and can get by without A/C, the tweeters fit perfectly in the A/C outlets on either side. Those who love quality music with their ride will appreciate this arrangement. Speaker components should be grouped close together with a little seperation. Now if this tight cab would just allow a big screen...............
IAFF2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
72GMC2500

man i checked out the pics on your website and thats a hell of a truck, i hope my GMC will be like that someday
72GMC2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
dan42

Hey, did you ever finish these? Let's see a picture -
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
Shane
Account Suspended

Very, very cool of you to share!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
WyoRoadDog
Page intentionally left blank.

There's a pic in the gallery on his web site of them finished. Dang that is a slick (orange) truck!! Nice work.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened. - Douglas Adams

'67 GMC 4x4, 305 V6! Or all the parts for anyway...
'17 Subaru Outback.
'18 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road.
'99 Ducati 900SS.
WyoRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote