The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
76bonanza

oil change question

It has been about 6 months since I changed my oil last and I have put like 400 miles on my truck. Some people have told me to just change the oil like every 4-6 months and only change the filter like once a year since I only put like 1000 miles a year on it. What are your thoughts on this?
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Sonny

Re: oil change question

Changing your oil without changing the filter is like taking a shower to get cleaned up and putting on the same socks you were wearing when you get dressed. IMO change the filter and make sure you use a filter that has an anti-drain back feature. Your filter holds about a quart of fluid and that represents about 20% of your oil capacity so in a sense your are leaving 20% of the old oil in your engine when you just change the oil.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
long71
clean concepts

any decent oil will not lose any substantial amount of viscosity after only 6 months and 400 miles, so I wouldnt worry about any damage from not changing it, in a case like yours (and mine) its best to just play it by ear, pull the dipstick, feel the oil as compared to new oil. if it is noticably thinner or darker then i would change it
long71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the problem is not so much the oil breaking down, but getting contaminated. Theby products of combustion is very acidic.
I would fire up the truck every weekend, let it get to oporating temps. This helps burn off contaminantes. Then check the oil's condition every week too. 4 to 6 months isn't all that bad if you are always checking the condition.
As for the filter.... I'll agree with every one else... it is like taking a shaower and putting on underwear that you've had on for a week.
Given the option of chainging oil only, or filter only... I'd chainge the filter alone.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Agree, change the filter at every oil change and be sure that the filter is a quality one. It is your choice on the oil change with the low miles. The fact that there are very few miles on the oil means that there are low contaminants and acids in the oil, however, sitting in a shop or garage that is not heated means that a chance of some moisture buildup in the crankcase is possible. I am not planning on changing my oil as I come out of my storage this year, but I do have a garage that is temperture controlled.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
manimal

Change the filter like everyone has said. Filters do their most good on the first pass anyway. Try to stay away from FRAM filters and go with a WIX,they trap up to 45% more dirt that fram on the first pass.JMO
-Lance
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
84_4x4

defiantly stay away from fram i was a big fram fan for a while till i seen one cut open wix is the best way to go or with an ac delco
Old 03-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Sonny

AC delco seem to have the best anti-drain back valve. My 02' Surburban has a case of cold start rod knock that GM says is fine. As long as I use an AC Delco filter i don't usually hear it, but when I messed up and got my oil changed at wallyworld (They used a cheapo filter). I thought I threw a rod when it started up the next morning. Needless to say all I run now is AC Delco.

Last edited by Sonny; 03-15-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

that's piston slap, not rod knock.
A NAPA gold filter (1060 for small block) is a rebadged WIX, at a fraction of the cost. I have cut up a fram and a NAPA gold, they are both sitting in my tool box at work.... night and day. I'll NEVER run a fram again...ever.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
that's piston slap, not rod knock.
A NAPA gold filter (1060 for small block) is a rebadged WIX, at a fraction of the cost. I have cut up a fram and a NAPA gold, they are both sitting in my tool box at work.... night and day. I'll NEVER run a fram again...ever.
ive heard the same thing about frams.. but, if the filter catches more **** in it, wouldnt that just prove its filtering more conaminates out of the oil? im not sticking up fopr frams, just wondering what the probleom is you saw inside them?
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Sonny

It has the piston slap too but it only does that on really cold mornings. I have one of those engines that have a rod knock issue too. It only happens when I run a cheap filter though.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #12
manimal

Lightweight filter media in fram,not very many pleats.WIX has ALOT more pleats and heavier filter media-BETTER CONSTRUCTION! IMO
-Lance
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
tracterman2

There is alot of difference in the filters...and actually the Napa filter longhorn is talking about is a rebadged wix case...the wix filter is actually the exact same internally as the Napa Silver...the Napa Gold is a little heavier and has more pleats than the Wix...Fram doesn't have near the pleats (increased surface area when stretched out) than the Wix or Napa filters...and acutually my Napa dealer cut open an Amsoil filter (the regular oil filter...not the bypass filter) and the Napa and Wix beat it also in pleats and weight of media. I only put Napa Gold on my trucks...diesel and now my 70 C/10. I have heard of a man that changed his filter every 1000 miles and added a quart...never changed the oil completely...supposedly had over 300,000 on an early 80's 350 in a half ton..over course he was an older man and mainly commuted in it...but I thought that was an interesting idea.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I changed over to the NAPA "Gold" filters awhile back and with the oil filter specials that NAPA runs on a semi-annual basis, I can save some serious cash on filters for all of my vehicles. They are a good filter.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote