The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Old School Belt Buckles For My 70' Fleetside.

I will be restoring these 65 Vette buckles for my 70.' They fit like they were made for it. The back remains chrome and the top release flap gets painted interior color. I pulled these out of a 67 Jimmy @ the wreckers (my favorite parts store) when I was on a scrounge seeing what was new in their inventory. My buckles on my 70' are in good shape but they are missing the GM logo. You used to be able to buy this as a separate item but now they want to sell you the whole plastic cover for around $20.00 bucks each.

Most times I walk out from the wreckers paying $10.00 bucks for a bag of goodies. These buckles are $300.00 to $400.00 dollars restored. Now you gotta like that ....

esll.
Attached Images

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Re: Old School Belt Buckles For My 70' Fleetside.

Cool!!!

They will look great restored!!!!

Here is few shots of my set for inspiration!!!

Last edited by John Fabris; 03-24-2007 at 12:59 PM.
John Fabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

WOW...really nice John!!!! Who did them and how much? I have been saving my '67 buckles for the same treatment!

BTW...have a good friend in Benicia...sure you don't know him but he is into the srteet rods and was building about 5 years ago for the Oakland roadster show. I lost touch with him.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 03-24-2007 at 01:30 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabris View Post
Cool!!!

They will look great restored!!!!

Here is few shots of my set for inspiration!!!

Nice, very nice. I think the only difference is the bowtie. What went in a 67 G.M.C.? Was there a similar buckle with a G.M.C. logo or were they plain? The model & parts # on the back of these buckles is for a Vette. Did "Gm." use the same buckle for jimmy trucks and Vettes in 67?

Now that would be a laugh as these Vette vendors have had a cheap parts source hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

From what I have been able to find, these belts may have started in 1966 for chevy truck as a special order but I have yet to find any 66 truck with seatbelts as it was not mandated until 67. These are on 67s but I have not found these on 68 trucks. As for GMC, I have no idea but I would have expect them to say GMC instead of the bowtie. As for the jimmy (blazer or jimmy) those vehicles did not start intil 1969..
Old 03-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Well here they are finished.

esll.
Attached Images

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 03-24-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabris View Post
From what I have been able to find, these belts may have started in 1966 for chevy truck as a special order but I have yet to find any 66 truck with seatbelts as it was not mandated until 67. These are on 67s but I have not found these on 68 trucks. As for GMC, I have no idea but I would have expect them to say GMC instead of the bowtie. As for the jimmy (blazer or jimmy) those vehicles did not start intil 1969..

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. as these belts that I have then are 65 to early 66 Vette belts by my Vette seat belt reference guide book.

I media blasted mine (glass) and then grey phosphated them and polished the chrome then painted them with S.E.M. Trim Paint. and put them in. About a 30 minute jig per buckle.

esll.

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 03-25-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Very Nice!!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
Hart_Rod

I've got a set of the bowtie buckles if anyone needs them. They came off of a 67. They need re-webbed.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
3/4tonterror

These are also stock for 64/65 chevelle, the are the same as in both my 64 and 65 chevelle ss.Painted interior color.
3/4tonterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
454_72_4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post
I will be restoring these 65 Vette buckles for my 70.'

I pulled these out of a 67 Jimmy
I'm confused...How can they be Vette buckles if ya pulled them out of a Jimmy???

Sounds like they were used in a few different vehicles in that era.
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Smile Re: Old School Belt Buckles For My 70' Fleetside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454_72_4X4 View Post
I'm confused...How can they be Vette buckles if ya pulled them out of a Jimmy???

Sounds like they were used in a few different vehicles in that era.

Do you ever visit a wrecker, have you ever bought a doner truck as a parts source or do you only go to GM or after market truck parts suppliers?? The reason I ask is because you will see alot of things that did not come from the factory.These are Vette belt buckles because on the back of these buckles are stamped part and model #s that tell what they are. How did they get in this truck God only knows but they are not GMC buckles. You and I know how they got into my 70' and I bet the story is similar to how they got into this old Jimmy I yanked them out of.

I go to the wrecking yards when the weather gets nicer almost every month. I'ts like going fishing for me, alot of the time my wife comes along. She is a great help as she rolls up her sleeves and gets right into it. When my bed wood comes she will be right there sanding and staining right along side of me.

esll.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
454_72_4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post

Do you ever visit a wrecker, have you ever bought a doner truck as a parts source or do you only go to GM or after market truck parts suppliers?? The reason I ask is because you will see alot of things that did not come from the factory.These are Vette belt buckles because on the back of these buckles are stamped part and model #s that tell what they are. How did they get in this truck God only knows but they are not GMC buckles. You and I know how they got into my 70' and I bet the story is similar to how they got into this old Jimmy I yanked them out of.

I go to the wrecking yards when the weather gets nicer almost every month. I'ts like going fishing for me, alot of the time my wife comes along. She is a great help as she rolls up her sleeves and gets right into it. When my bed wood comes she will be right there sanding and staining right along side of me.

esll.
Hahaha, yea I go to the wreckers, (usually the U-pull-it type if possible), as often as possible. And yea, I understand people change things through the years. Hell, my 72 doesn't have many actual 72 parts left... in the running gears anyway.

But just because these buckles are like the ones that came in some vettes doesn't mean they all are vette buckles.
You mentioned model #'s so yours may be actual vette buckles, but it sounds like other GM cars/trucks also came with the same buckles, so in the end it's just a seat belt buckle. Nothing special other than they are different then others.

I'm sure you've heard the vette motor, (usually 350 or 327), story before. You know the guy that wants to sell, or has bought, a bare engine block...but it's special because it's a vette motor!
We've all heard that story I'll bet....Yea, sure it was a vette motor, but now it's just a bare block and not worth anymore than any other bare block in the same condition.
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454_72_4X4 View Post
Hahaha, yea I go to the wreckers, (usually the U-pull-it type if possible), as often as possible. And yea, I understand people change things through the years. Hell, my 72 doesn't have many actual 72 parts left... in the running gears anyway.

But just because these buckles are like the ones that came in some vettes doesn't mean they all are vette buckles.
You mentioned model #'s so yours may be actual vette buckles, but it sounds like other GM cars/trucks also came with the same buckles, so in the end it's just a seat belt buckle. Nothing special other than they are different then others.

I'm sure you've heard the vette motor, (usually 350 or 327), story before. You know the guy that wants to sell, or has bought, a bare engine block...but it's special because it's a vette motor!
We've all heard that story I'll bet....Yea, sure it was a vette motor, but now it's just a bare block and not worth anymore than any other bare block in the same condition.
I don't get your point at all ....

I'm not talking about every one elses buckles or trying say mine are better because there Vette buckles. The id. & model #s make them Vette buckles & other makes and models could and more then likely have different id and model #s even though they appear the same as Vette buckles. As far as a bare block is concerned there are Idntity #s on these as well that would separate a Vette motor from other motors. If you find a gutted Vette block that is rebuildable advertise it in Hemmings with the numbers as guys will pay what ever you want for this (think $5000.00) large at least!!!

I'm retired now and what I'm discussing is OT here but I owned a Vette parts and supply business and have restored more parts and done more detailing then I care to remember as well as sold tons of parts. I'm attaching a picture of my 60' Vette taken in 1972. This is a top hp fuelie Vette #s matching from the factory.

esll.
Attached Images

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 03-26-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #15
Bob Moore

Corvette people pay HUGE money for real Corvette parts. A good friend of mine has had several early Vettes and parts them out a lot. At a recent swap meet he sold a set of USED F-41(?) shock absorbers for $750 only to be told by THE Corvette God from So-Cal that he gave them away. These were on the car at the swap meet and we pulled them right there. He should have gotten closer to $1200.

Some times it goes the other way. I had a set of 4 headlight rings and buckets from a 79(?) Chevy Luv for sale at $20. I only had a price on them. No description. A Corvette reseller came along and couldn't get her money out fast enough. Didn't even ask what they were. I didn't volunteer either.

I also like fishing at the junk yards - regular fishing is a waste of time.
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #16
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Simple, someone ELSE pulled them from a vette and installed them in a jimmy.....
Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #17
CPNEJR

these style buckles were stock on the 67 chevys. they are vette style buckles but they were a one year only thing on the trucks of this era.
72 Chevy K20 Suburban (future project)
70 Chevy K20 now 68 GMC K2500
2003 Chevy 2500hd ccsb 4X4 (daily driver)
CPNEJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #18
SacramentoJoe
Always Fixing Things

Dang, I replaced mine a few years ago. I never though about restoring them. I know that my '68 did not come with seat belts since my dad said he had to put them in. He only put in a set for the driver and one passenger. They had tall housings and were self retracting. The ones I have now also self retract but they slam into my doors and ding the paint. This message board is like going back to school.
SacramentoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #19
SacramentoJoe
Always Fixing Things

Give a man a fish, bla bla bla , Teach a man to fish and he has someplace to drive his GMC to.

If I unbuckle my Geo Metro seatbelt in the woods and no fish hear it, does it make a sound?? Parts is parts?

I ask again, what do you think is the value of original equipment (or Bughati parts) in these vehicles??? Cause I might be sitting on/in a gold mine.

Thanks for leaving the big fish for me. The junkyard is better than fishing, it like WalMart.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #20
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoJoe View Post
Give a man a fish, bla bla bla , Teach a man to fish and he has someplace to drive his GMC to.

If I unbuckle my Geo Metro seatbelt in the woods and no fish hear it, does it make a sound?? Parts is parts?

I ask again, what do you think is the value of original equipment (or Bughati parts) in these vehicles??? Cause I might be sitting on/in a gold mine.

Thanks for leaving the big fish for me. The junkyard is better than fishing, it like WalMart.

Hi Joe,

How much would you sell your truck for?

esll

Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #21
SacramentoJoe
Always Fixing Things

Sell it? That would bring money in. This truck is for sucking money out out of me, and if I sold it, I might get rich and I wouldn't know how to act. Maybe someday I'll have enough parts to retire.

I regret every time that I have tossed-out an old part instead of refurbishing it, that is just me. I realy like vehicles in their original state, but I think that I am in the minority.

So anyway, how much money you got to give me?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #22
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoJoe View Post
Sell it? That would bring money in. This truck is for sucking money out out of me, and if I sold it, I might get rich and I wouldn't know how to act. Maybe someday I'll have enough parts to retire.

I regret every time that I have tossed-out an old part instead of refurbishing it, that is just me. I realy like vehicles in their original state, but I think that I am in the minority.

So anyway, how much money you got to give me?

Remember parts is parts so I thought that you might want to assist me in going to my favorite fishing hole "Coal town Auto Wreckers."

All kidding aside I thought that you were maybe tired of the truck and were thinking of selling it. If you are PM me.

esll.

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 03-27-2007 at 06:46 PM.