The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Are these Procomp BBC Aluminum Heads any good??

I have noticed an influx of guys selling this procomp stuff, but I have never tried any of it.. just wondering if anyone has ever tested out their heads or other parts..? they sure do sound cheap for a set of new heads!
http://cgi.ebay.ca/CYLINDER-HEADS-CH...QQcmdZViewItem
all the numbers sound pretty good.?

any thoughts?
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: Are these Procomp BBC Aluminum Heads any good??

never have but seem to see them alot. That head is for high spinning BIG displacement BBC, with 600" lift. For that price I'd try em if I was building a 500" or bigger BBC.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

If I'm not mistaken these are along the same lines as the pro lightning, and pro this, and pro that sbc heads.

If they are and I'm pretty sure I am. They are decent pieces as they are cast BUT You have to pay attention to where they were finished at. Machined an completed. Quality of machine work.

As there are alot of companies out there doing this and this is why everybody is seeing so much of these now days.

Quality of parts installed in these casting is another big issue to pay attention too. If the company that finishes these castings puts junk in them valves, springs, retainers,ect. They can sell for much better prices than a more reputable company can sell them for with quality valvetrain components installed.

I'm not sure about this particular company myself so I can't really judge them persay.

Hope it helps RJ22

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!

Last edited by RACINJASON22; 04-26-2007 at 12:55 AM.
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINJASON22 View Post
Quality of parts installed in these casting is another big issue to pay attention too.
very true, if they had installed brand name valves, springs or keeps, I guess they would have stated it in the massive ebay write up that they did.
I would rather not drop a valve just to save a few bucks..

but they also do sell them as cores only.. I will be running a 454 stroked to 489, but I am sure they will still be too big of an intake runner for what I need..?
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
mnunn454

Heads more than any other single component are the real key to increasing top end performance these days. They've come a long way since the heads of the 60s. Good ones balance flow and CFM in order to optimize and balance torque and HP outputs.

Chevy High Perf Mag did a neat "bakeoff" between large, medium and small ported aluminum and iron BBC Heads. You can find it in their tech archives. It's worth printing a copy for future reference.

They give performance and flow specs for each head along with a nice write-up for each. You can compare the ones you're considering buying to the ones they tested to see if you're going to like the head's "manners". Some are simply not suited for street use.

One thing I'd consider doing is calling the various other aftermarket head makers (eg. Brodix, EFR Edelbrock, et. al.) and asking them what they've heard about the set you're considering, and if they offer anything comparable.

They'll ask you about your application and intended use. Take notes though. I'll bet they'll have lots to offer. And don't forget Summit and Jegs. They may be able to comment as well.

There's about 7 things (maybe more) I'd be listening for from everyone you call.
-Warranty (get the full extent of it for the assembly and for each part in it and don't forget the shipping costs)
-Quality (name brand of parts used, and their frequency of failure in this brand of head).
-References (get a half dozen names and phone numbers of reputable engine builders that have bought the heads so you can do your own research. If they're selling a decent product, they'll be happy to oblige).
-Parts interchangability (what parts can and can't work with the heads)
-Special requirements (like longer head bolts, types of antifreeze/coolant/anticorrosion additives, taller rocker covers, etc.)
-Optimal performance ranges (RPM floor and ceiling, CFM limits, best cams, carbs and spacers to use, etc).
-Pricing (from all the various outlets).

Hope it helps.
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote