The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
liljon285
That Guy

Should i put this?

I mean it looks mean, but Ive heard cable shifters suk and are a bytch to pull tp drive and back into park. how do i shift it anyways, do i spush down and back, do i push ti the side then back or do i just pull bacl??????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-M-8...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-29-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Re: Should i put this?

I don't know how that one works but I've never had a problem with cable shifters. I had a B&M Megashifter in one of my trucks for years and never had a problem with it.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
bb1979

hey

looks as tho this one is the pull up once to get out of park and then you can pull it straight back to 1st, lift from 1st over all the other gates and drop it into park from 1st the same as the MR Gasket shift my old mans got in his truck. I prefer it over the Mega Shifter in mine because when your cruizin up to a set of lights and they change to yellow you just slam it back to second (only shifts down 1 at a time) and haul ass on through, whereas the megashifter u have to lift the t-bar thing at the front of the shifter handle to downshift. The only thing i can fault the MR gasket on is that if your not careful you can shift to neutral as you slam up the gears tho this might be cos its 15+ years old as has been shifted many many times. This hurst shift is very similar to the MR Gasket

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HURST...QQcmdZViewItem

The megashifter is great for drag racing cos you can't overshift but for that instant kick down between top and second when you want it you can't go by the Hurst/Mr Gasket.

The cover for the column any wrecking yard with the bigger trucks with the four speed on the floor granny gearboxes ie C20's or C30's should have this part lol just about every truck in Australia does they were all 4 speed granny boxes bar a few

Hope this helps
bb1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

I'm gonna go ahead and call bull on the part in the above post about the megashifter - it's a full-action ratchet shifter, meaning if you're in "D" and you wanna fly through said yellow light you just yank the stick back, release it, and put the pedal to the floor. The only time the T-handle is used is for moving the stick from "D" to "R" and then "Park", that's it! For dowshifting (or upshifting for that matter) there's absolutely no need of lifting the T-handle, just move the stick front or back - they ain't called "slapsticks" without a reason you know.

All that said my megashifter is kinda ***** to work with as when I start from "Park" I usually miss the reverse, but my truck is a ***** to drive anyways so that don't bother me at all. And yes, solid linkage shifters generally work smoother and are more precise, however a well-adjusted cable shifter will not leave you by the side of the road either.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

Ive had a unimatic ................

Now I have a Megashifter LOVE IT.

said abouve use T handle to pull it outta park yank it into drive , slam it down or up makes driving fun!
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: Should i put this?

Iv'e got a B&M Megga shifter in my truck cable operated and it's never given me any problems.

It's very accurate and reliable.

That ones cool gives the illusion you have a 4 on the floor.

It's funny people ask me all the time if my truck is a 4 speed and i say Yep 700r4.

I get the most confused looks form them.

I say go for it.

The only things iv ever heard bad about a cable shifter is if you bend the teleflex cable too sharp it will be very hard to operate.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
liljon285
That Guy

Its not giving problems i know that its the shifting, my dads friend has a small mr.gasket one in his truck and wow wat a bytch it was to shift from any gear. You gotta push up then back and then down or something like that it was hard and i cant put that in my truck cuz its gonna be on the floor meaning ill be kind of reaching for it and i wanna shift with my hands not with my legs lol. Ima get it through summit and if i like it ill keep it and if i dont ill send it back.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
benoit454
Chris

I'd buy it.

I run a hurst v matic 2 in my monte and it was a real bytch, then I bought a new cable and ran it like it should be and it's perfect, very easy to move.

It's hard to learn to use, since you pull the front handle and pull back the big one for reverse or to leave park, then shove down on the big one for forward gears, then it's just shove forward from 1st to hit 2nd or drive. Then going back into reverse or park you gotta pull up on the reverse lock out stick/front handle.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

I would get the mega shifter from B&M. I used to have one in the 78 when it still had an auto in it and it was alot of fun to drive. Never had a problem with the shifter, but the auto transmissions where a different story.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #10
liljon285
That Guy

I like thise one because i can customize the top like make it longer or something, plus i dont like the mageshifters cuz of that big box, ill be having a console in my interior and the sifter will be RIGHT in front of it. So id like this unimatic one.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #11
Ivan D.

Jon you can remove the megashifter box and cover the mechanism with a boot, it just have to be a little bigger than you normally see - that's something I might actually do if I find a suitable boot.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #12
bb1979

sorry ivan D. my fault i've got a star shifter in my truck (was marketed as a megashifter at the time i brought it down here in Australia) so if a megashifter is a true slapstick up and down then all for it
bb1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #13
Ivan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1979 View Post
sorry ivan D. my fault i've got a star shifter in my truck (was marketed as a megashifter at the time i brought it down here in Australia) so if a megashifter is a true slapstick up and down then all for it
Hey, no biggie, but seems someone took you for a ride with that shifter - not cool at all And yes, the megashifter is a true slapstick, once you adjust the cable right that is, lol
Old 04-30-2007, 06:51 AM   #14
liljon285
That Guy

I really like this one i find it very fit for my truck, and I am not worried how it might look its just the way it shift to drive and stuff. Because like i said my dads friend had a mr.gasket one and i didnt get the hang of it(although my dads friend did after a while). Ima do a 350/700r4 swap in my truck in 2 months and ill buy it and try it.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
neverfinished

I've got that same shifter in my '73, but I have a different handle (not a fan of the T). I think they look good and I have no complaints as to it's function. I have no problems with it being a cable shifter, it shifts very smoothly and I don't have any binding. If someone is telling you about binding or awkward shifting then they probably tried to make a tiny loop with the cable and added a bunch of tension. It's a little awkward shifting out of park at first because you tend to try and shove the lever down but once you get used to it you develop a sense of how much pressure to put on it.
neverfinished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:37 AM   #16
Ivan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfinished View Post
I've got that same shifter in my '73, but I have a different handle (not a fan of the T). I think they look good and I have no complaints as to it's function. I have no problems with it being a cable shifter, it shifts very smoothly and I don't have any binding.
Actually I changed the handle of my megashifter too, loved the T-handle, but the shifter is kinda far from me so for my hand to feel right on handle while shifting the handle needs to be kinda angled towards me - had it angled for a while, the decided to change the angle a little, and when tightening it in the new position the shifter's thread just stripped! That's right, it wasn't the aluminum handle's thread that that stripped, it was the steel shifter's thread - WTF? So now I have one of those universal handles in the 8-ball design, and actually it feels more comfortable than the T-handle. Kinda weird to pull the lockout with it at first, but now I absolutely love it Still got the T-handle, will eventually figure out something to do with it I'm sure, lol
Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
benoit454
Chris

Yea I know they'd look good, they'd look like a 3 speed conversion on the stick shifts. I had one on the 76 and liked it.

eeeww 350 to 700r4, IMO that sucks, give me a th350 anyday. We even had a th350 built to replace the 700 in our 86 4x4. Traded that truck, still have the th350. Now the 84 already has a 350 trans. and I put one in my monte. I do not like that overdrive crap. The one in the 86 was junk from the start.

If your dad's buddies was hard to shift, he had the cable in a bind or needed a new one. if it was tough in the sense hard to figure out which way to push/pull into gears, that's just a learning curve. Mines that way, my old man cussed millions of times trying to get down how to shift it, when I got it down in a week or so. Now he knows it perfectly. Mines also a dual gate on top of reverse lock out so it's tricky, but hey look at it like this...

Makes it harder for someone to steal if they can't figure out how to put it in gear.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #18
liljon285
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
Yea I know they'd look good, they'd look like a 3 speed conversion on the stick shifts. I had one on the 76 and liked it.

eeeww 350 to 700r4, IMO that sucks, give me a th350 anyday. We even had a th350 built to replace the 700 in our 86 4x4. Traded that truck, still have the th350. Now the 84 already has a 350 trans. and I put one in my monte. I do not like that overdrive crap. The one in the 86 was junk from the start.

If your dad's buddies was hard to shift, he had the cable in a bind or needed a new one. if it was tough in the sense hard to figure out which way to push/pull into gears, that's just a learning curve. Mines that way, my old man cussed millions of times trying to get down how to shift it, when I got it down in a week or so. Now he knows it perfectly. Mines also a dual gate on top of reverse lock out so it's tricky, but hey look at it like this...

Makes it harder for someone to steal if they can't figure out how to put it in gear.
Im thinking either a 400 or the 700, but id rather have the 700, i need that overdrive.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
fun in dirt

My dad had one just like this in a dually a while back. It never gave us any trouble at all. And I don't remember having to do anything to get it out of park or from gear to gear. Looks cool too! Just take your time adjusting the linkage cable & use big loops to make any corners.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #20
benoit454
Chris

I always heard the 400 takes more power to turn over.

I'd run a th350 unless you have like a big block, but if you need OD then yea 700 for sure.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 05-01-2007, 03:42 AM   #21
Ivan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
I always heard the 400 takes more power to turn over.

I'd run a th350 unless you have like a big block, but if you need OD then yea 700 for sure.
Yeah, with a small block you don't need no 400 unless you're pushing some serious power. Rule of thumb AFAIK is 400 for a hard-working big block, 350 for a hard-working small block, 700 for a "freeway" small block, and for a "freeway" big block you re-gear to 2.xx
Old 05-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #22
liljon285
That Guy

My dad friend has a 4l60 which he rebuilt himself with a shift kit and a 2900 stall converter along with a built 355c.i. motor in his 1957 belair and it runs real hard.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:43 AM   #23
liljon285
That Guy

By the way sense the shifter is by cable can i put it anywhere? Like closer to the drivers seat?

Last edited by liljon285; 05-01-2007 at 06:43 AM.
liljon285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:49 AM   #24
Ivan D.

Lol, you can put it on the left side of yer driver seat if you want, on the door
Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
liljon285
That Guy

Ok thats perfect lol. I was thinking of moving closer to the left and a bit back and putting a pistol grip.( I have always wanted a pistol grip, best thing mopar has!)