The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

My truck

I was about to enter my truck in the "Beater" TOTM contest, and I realized that I've been on this board for awhile now and never put up anything about my own truck. Here goes:

Gentlemen, I present my daily driven (70 miles round trip to work & back) Chevrolet C10 step side.

It's got a Vortec 350 with a turbo 350 transmission, mismatched tires, 3/4" plywood for bed wood, and the all important Indian Blanket $20.00 seat cover. The one you see on it is actually the newer one. The wife made me replace it before she would ride in it. There are rust holes in the fender, cab corners, and inner fenders. It looks like the tailgate metal actually separated from the latch and the PO (original owner who used this for a landscape business) booger-welded it back together. There's a cut down, bent-up, rusty-assed step bumper of unknown vintage booger-welded to the frame. I did manage to get all the leaks fixed except for a nasty steering box leak that made the side of the truck look like some kind of a leopard, and the bottom of the driver's inner fender look like I drove through a tar pit. If you look closely at the carpet, there's a giant oil stain where the pressure gauge line popped off one day and sprayed the carpet with really hot oil.

Looks suprisingly good here, except for the mismatched tires, giant ugly rear bumper and that weird thing happening on the upper middle part of the door

Notice the "repair" made on the fender just above the side marker light

The ghost of oil leaks past mixed in with power steering leaks present

That spot on the corner of the hood just above the driver's side headlight is the fallout from the only part of this truck's body that I ever washed. About a month later, it started to rust in that spot

The hood kink shows up good in this one

Here's a great shot of the fender rust

More to come
Old 05-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Re: My truck

Part two:

Both rear fenders have a good amount of surface rust on them. This is also a pretty good look at my monstrosity of a bumper

Booger welds holding on the rear bumper. The PO really went through some trouble to get this thing on there

More mad welding skillz to fix where the sheetmetal on the tailgate separated at the latch

Cab corner dents and rust holes, and check out the leopard spots from the power steering fluid leak

Check out that oil stain on the center hump

Much like KMK454's interior, mine is also unrestored. Don't ya just love the look of 30 lbs of loose change in those side pockets?

I know it sounds like I'm depressed about my truck, but I'm not. I love this truck. I thought about making this truck pretty nice, but I think I might just do a couple little things to it like get rid of the rear bumper, install some sport mirrors, drop it, get matching tires (maybe 17" wheel/tire combo later) and drive it like it is.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by killthewabbit; 05-19-2007 at 10:07 PM.
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

I say do a daily driver restoration on it. Fix the rust on the body, get a better rear bumper on there, a decent paint job but not too expensive, and a few interior upgrades like new carpet and such. Nothing serious or too costly like a show truck, but just enough to make it nice for a daily driver. At least thats what I would do if I had that truck and the money to do those things. Cool truck though.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I say do a daily driver restoration on it. Fix the rust on the body, get a better rear bumper on there, a decent paint job but not too expensive, and a few interior upgrades like new carpet and such. Nothing serious or too costly like a show truck, but just enough to make it nice for a daily driver. At least thats what I would do if I had that truck and the money to do those things. Cool truck though.
Not a bad plan. Thanks, hoss.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
bigblock79
67 Chevy Stepside

you got a good truck to start with a lot of peplo has got worse
1976 BIG DOOLEY 454 turbo 400 4:11
bigblock79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
Eyegore
What Hump?

I agree with Pyro, good base plenty of potential, start with the rust and work your way out. Oh by the way, chevy's don't leak I've been told, that's just sweat from all the hard work they do.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote